Out of ideas for random idle dip, almost stalling!

Well... My car runs great, with smooth idle.
I assume most P5's do and it's just the few that don't run proper that come to the forum for help.
An actual Mazda mechanic may be better able to deal with the problem with their specific knowledge of our car ??

I'm thinkin, if it happened to me and I was stumped, I'd play with my throttle position sensor... Crank it up to 1% so the ECU never sees 0% and tries to idle it...

I kinda think that might work without pissing off my ECU and throwing all kinds of codes at me ???

I've owned my 2003 P5 since early 2011. Mine just started exhibiting this problem a few months ago. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, checked the intake tube for cracks / leaks, checked all vacuum lines, cleaned the throttle body / EGR / IACV, replaced the PCV valve / spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. Still having this issue.

... I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, checked the intake tube for cracks / leaks, checked all vacuum lines, cleaned the throttle body / EGR / IACV, replaced the PCV valve / spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. Still having this issue.

Go over your engine with carb cleaner if you haven't already.
A visual inspection may not be enough.

Seafoam or some kind of fuel treatment is cheap and easy and may help.

Last edited:
I've owned my 2003 P5 since early 2011. Mine just started exhibiting this problem a few months ago. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, checked the intake tube for cracks / leaks, checked all vacuum lines, cleaned the throttle body / EGR / IACV, replaced the PCV valve / spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. Still having this issue.

As PCB as saying, and as my experience has shown, sometimes just inspecting the vacuum hoses is not enough. You may have a leak you can't see that causes this trouble. There are a lot of little hoses on there..

... There are a lot of little hoses on there..

And a lot of rusty connections too...
(I hope in ever throw an EVAP code....)

Screenshot_2017-11-28-12-24-17.png

Screenshot_2017-11-28-12-24-51.png

Back