Rear brake lights on.

SlowturboP5

:
mazda protege5
Hello my rear brake lights are on when i have my headlights on. They are just stuck on so ppl behind me must think im always on brakes. When i drive without the headlights turned on, then the rear brake lights work like normal. I checked fuses, the seem to be good. I pulled the plug from the brake switch and turned headlights on and the brakes still light up in the back. Anyone know whats going on? Im using the jdm tails if that matters for the past 2 years. They always seem to blow bulbs. Maybe thats related.

Sounds like you've got your wires mixed up.
When you turn on your headlights, you're supposed to have a 5 watt running light bulb turn on in each taillight.

Sounds like that wire is going to the 21 watt brake light bulb instead,... Then when you hit the brakes that bulb gets 12v from the brake light circuit as well, which could lead to blown bulbs.

The wires in question are green with a yellow stripe and light green with a black stripe.

I don't know offhand if they are two separate bulbs or two separate filaments inside one bulb.

You need to get the light green with a black stripe wire going to the 5 watt bulb in each taillight.

IMG_20171120_104631.jpg

IMG_20171120_105225.jpg

Back