Does anyone know the torque spec for 2017 CX-9 oil pan plug?

TitaniumVT

:
2016 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
I'm getting ready to change the oil for the first time on our 2016 CX-9. Does anyone know where I can find the proper torque spec for the oil pan drain plug? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply. By "hand tight", are you referring to the drain plug or the oil filter? I've typically done the latter slightly more than hand tight without issues, but I don't think you can get away with the same with the oil drain plug.

You need to slightly "crush" the metal washer to get a tight seal on the drain plug. Doing some searching on this site, it seems like the torque specs for other cars like the CX-5 are much higher than 10 ft lbs (i.e., about 30 ft lbs) as is the spec on the 2013 CX-9 (The 2013 workshop manual says 30-41 N-m or 23-30 ft-lbf. Page 01-11-3). For the CX-7, it's apparently 23-30 ft-lbs too.

Since the 2016-17 engine is different, I want to try to confirm the proper spec for the CX-9 before risking any damage to the oil pan.

Last edited:
I don't know lol I've been doing it so long I just do it by feel and they never leak. I suppose 20ft pounds is the closer number. You just don't want them too tight because the threads on the pan get get striped easily.

Thank you very much, jal142 - I appreciate the link. This looks like the most accurate information we're going to find for now. I'll aim to torque the drain plug to 25 ft lbs and hope that does the trick.

Thank you very much, jal142 - I appreciate the link. This looks like the most accurate information we're going to find for now. I'll aim to torque the drain plug to 25 ft lbs and hope that does the trick.

25 ft*lb should be fine. The 2016 manual says:

Oil pan drain plug tightening torque
30—41 Nm {3.1—4.1 kgfm, 23—30 ftlbf}

Back