Loud grinding/hanging sound after hitting puddle

Chelnmike816

:
2007 Mazda CX9
Hi all

I was driving last night and drove partially in a huge puddle. Ever sense then the car makes almost a loud dragging metal grinding sound when driving frontwards and backwards. It gets a little quieter when on the freeway. But please help I don't know what's wrong.

Most likely a heat shield from your catalytic converter has loosened under the vehicle, when this happens most people just remove them or you might try reattaching with a hose clamp or something similar.

Just found out it's the metal that protects the gas reservoir. I'm trying to find something that will stick it back up so it's not hanging on the driveshaft

Just found out it's the metal that protects the gas reservoir. I'm trying to find something that will stick it back up so it's not hanging on the driveshaft

My wife's 09 CX9 just had that happen a few weeks ago. I got a couple self tapping screws and washers and essentially screwed it back up right through the original rivets. All is well again.
Just be careful to not puncture the gas tank(I take no responsibility for vehicle damage or personal injury/death :) ).

Back