Acorn in bottom vent

:
2016 CX-9 GT
I have an acorn rolling around in the foot vent under the drivers seat (dont ask how it got there, but I have a feeling my three year old knows) and would like to get it out. I have tried turning the air on full blast while accelerating fast up a steep hill and while reversing down a steep hill and hitting the brakes. You guessed it, it is still rolling around in there and I hear it every time I go around a corner. I know its in the the vent ducting as I used my endoscope and saw it in there, but there is no I can get it out with that...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?

I am not completely opposed to taking the ducts out to get at it, but I have no idea on how to get the seat or carpets out to get to the ducting.

I have an acorn rolling around in the foot vent under the drivers seat (don’t ask how it got there, but I have a feeling my three year old knows) and would like to get it out. I have tried turning the air on full blast while accelerating fast up a steep hill and while reversing down a steep hill and hitting the brakes. You guessed it, it is still rolling around in there and I hear it every time I go around a corner. I know it’s in the the vent ducting as I used my endoscope and saw it in there, but there is no I can get it out with that...

I am not completely opposed to taking the ducts out to get at it, but I have no idea on how to get the seat or carpets out to get to the ducting.

Maybe use a vacuum cleaner or a grabber tool? Maybe a stick with duct tape. That's what I would try. You may be tempted... don't try letting a squirrel loose in your car though. :)

I've got something similar in my dash rolling around when I turn. Rolls from one side to another. Can't tell exactly where it is.

- ZoomFive

Just like passes in football, if you can touch it you can catch it.

Since you have the endoscope I would try attaching thick duct tape to the camera end so that it sticks out like a curled tongue (think tube). Of course it may take a few tries and you may get the tape stuck along the way so be sure it's securely fastened to the endoscope to enable yanking it back without leaving tape in the ducts.

Assuming you can get close enough to stab at it, the tape will drag it back to a point where you can employ stronger tools like a long set of needle nose pliers.

I second idea would be to employ the endoscope and a piece of stiff wire with a curl in it to try and hook it out.

In the end I suspect you'll be pulling the seat and duct work. Be thankful it's not in the dash.

BTW, I miss having a 3 year old. :)

Thanks for the input and ideas, I will try them when I get a chance.

The three year old has apologized and told me that acorns are no longer allowed in the car, but rocks are... ;-P

I have an acorn rolling around in the foot vent under the drivers seat (don’t ask how it got there, but I have a feeling my three year old knows) and would like to get it out. I have tried turning the air on full blast while accelerating fast up a steep hill and while reversing down a steep hill and hitting the brakes. You guessed it, it is still rolling around in there and I hear it every time I go around a corner. I know it’s in the the vent ducting as I used my endoscope and saw it in there, but there is no I can get it out with that...

Both the three year old and the dealer's technician have conspired to play with your head.

It was the PDI, no doubt. During the PDI, the technician decided to play with your head knowing full well that you would blame it on your three year old. Of course, your three year old preferred rocks to acorns, so they agreed to the conspiracy.

Of course, that same technician had nothing else to do during the PDI, as the PDI itself was no doubt skipped by that same technician. Why not play around with acorns - hey - they've got nothing else to do on your vehicle... like a real PDI or something equally as boring.

Stashing Acorns only where a three year old would stash them (*just to play with your head*), is so much more fun than doing a proper and accurate PDI!

Last edited:
LOL! I mostly maintain a story has to be good, not true. Your story is much better than the truth, so I will stick with that!

Thanks!

And yes, the acorn is still rolling around....

Latest posts

Back