how to pair the garage door opener under the center rear mirror?

:
2016 cx-9 signature
Had been trying to do this, but don't know how? Anyone had any successes?

I had a Lift Gate at home.

Had been trying to do this, but don't know how? Anyone had any successes?

I had a Lift Gate at home.

I have just followed the instructions in the owner's manual on every car I have owned with Homelink since 2000. However, I have read that some newer garage door openers aren't compatible with Homelink without a repeater from the garage door opener manufacturer.

The steps I have taken are:

1. Take the garage remote and hold it near the mirror. Hold the garage remote button down while simultaneously holding the Homelink button down.
2. Wait until the LED indicator on the Homelink changes -- I think -- from a slow blink to a fast blink.
3. Then go to the head unit and press the "Learn" button. You will see an indicator light flash.
4. Quickly get to the car and press the Homelink button you want programed, and hold the button down until -- I think -- the indicator light is solid.

I'm doing this from memory, so I may not have the blink/solid indicators correct, but that's the process.

Last edited:
If that doesn't work, check the owner's manual for the opener or go to the opener brand web site for the manual. There are variations from the standard procedure.

Oh--and if you are having a hard time getting it to work, you may need to put fresh batteries in the garage remote, even if it is working.

I had to use the instructions on HomeLink's website because my garage door opener had a specific procedure to that manufacturer.

We have a 2012 CX-9 GT and a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid. Our house was built in 2014 and the Lift Master garage door has the latest Homelink technology which doesn't pair to either of our cars, which have the previous generation technology. Apparently we would need a Home Link Compatibility Bridge, but we've never bothered. If you are having trouble pairing, the difference in technology might be the issue.

Back