AWD or FWD

I've lived in Florida for 32 years. Never felt the need for AWD and have always driven FWD and will continue to drive FWD unless I move out of the state (which the wife won't consider but that's a whole different story, lol).

1. AWD
2. RWD
3. Fwd

FWD is easiest to control and suitable for more mind weather.

I would imagine it's easy to trigger traction control or wheel spin with aggressive throttle application. Is it easily triggered when the car is loaded? On a hill? Thoughts?

It is easy to make it spin when you want it. Its great. I've never had it spin when i didn't want it. Regardless of hills or load or anything else. The three days of the year it rains in socal, you take it easy, just as you would with AWD.

We ended up purchasing a 2018 GT FWD this past weekend.

I tried giving it aggressive throttle from a stop or when making a right and it didn't seem to have any traction issues. If traction control came on, it was super smooth and I didn't notice or I wasn't aggressive enough.

Either way, it seemed satisfactory. Didn't think it was limiting any power to not feel quick off the line.

Nice, its the right choice for socal.

FWD isn't half as limiting as people make it out to be. Seriously watch some fwd rally vids to see how good it can do in dirt. Not that any CX9 is going to see that kind of use. Any CX9. Ever. But yeah fwd can do well off road, if you want to take it there.

As far as rain goes, braking and handling are what one worries about driving in rain. Not 0-60 launches. FWD probably does get off the line slow compared to AWD in the rain. But who cares. Wait until it dries out to do your drag racing.

Back