AWD or FWD

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
Hey Mazda Cats...

First off, I like this forum. Most of you guys seem to know what you're talking about. So....

Soon to be 2018 CX-9 owner here.
I'm trying to decide on what drivetrain to get in a GT.

I realize that the AWD might have better handling but it's more expensive when "signing zee papers" and at the fuel pump.

My experience with most FWD vehicles has been this: They seem to "hop around" a bit while accelerating from takeoff through turns. However, FWD costs less in both gas and sticker price and is fantastic when it snows.

Is the FWD experience in the CX-9 acceptable to most? Is there really that big a difference? Of course, I'll test drive both to make a final decision.

Chime in bit*hes and thanks! 😉 Wishing you serenity and happiness.

I am a little confused here. I always thought that all wheel drive is for the snow not fwd. I am interested to hear others thoughts and opinions on this.

I can't imagine you get enough snow in TN to make AWD worth it. AWD may help handling on a Porsche Panamera, but the way you would typically drive a CX-9 would make it unlikely to be worth the added expense.

I had a RX300 with AWD. The WORST in the snow I've ever had. This is not to say Mazda's AWD is lame...

I have a 2012 FWD GT. I have found it to be great for handling in all weather. Living in Portland and commuting on highways, I don't have a lot of need for AWD. We had a couple of nasty snow storms last winter, it handled the snow fine, especially after I put the chains on. It really depends on how much of what kind of weather you're anticipating. If you haul a lot of stuff up mountains, you might appreciate the AWD.

AWD...here in Cda all 9s come in AWD. The penalty at the pump is insignificant but the advantages are worth it even for the extra cost. When you sell/trade it in you get better acceptance and recoup the extra cost of the AWD (less depreciation of course)

IMO: The need for a jack rabbit start on a small hill in the rain to merge into traffic will show you how AWD shines :)

Hey Mazda Cats...

First off, I like this forum. Most of you guys seem to know what you're talking about. So....

Soon to be 2018 CX-9 owner here.
I'm trying to decide on what drivetrain to get in a GT.

I realize that the AWD might have better handling but it's more expensive when "signing zee papers" and at the fuel pump.

My experience with most FWD vehicles has been this: They seem to "hop around" a bit while accelerating from takeoff through turns. However, FWD costs less in both gas and sticker price and is fantastic when it snows.

Is the FWD experience in the CX-9 acceptable to most? Is there really that big a difference? Of course, I'll test drive both to make a final decision.

Chime in bit*hes and thanks! 😉 Wishing you serenity and happiness.

Do the dealers in your area stock both drivetrains? The dealers in the southeast region (Florida, Georgia, etc.) have traditionally not bothered with the AWD versions much. This might have changed recently, but a few years ago, it was nearly impossible to find an AWD version down here. You decision might have been made for you by your local dealers.

In my experience, AWD is nicer in the rain/snow in the sense that you are less likely to lose grip while accelerating. It doesn't help you stop any quicker, though, so keep that in mind. Also, AWD is not a substitute for good tires. I'd rather have FWD with snow tires over AWD with all seasons.

The downsides to AWD are initial cost, gas mileage, and (maybe) reliability. The last generation CX-9 had a poorly designed transfer case that is known to cause problems. Hopefully, the new version fixed this. Time will tell...

Do the dealers in your area stock both drivetrains? The dealers in the southeast region (Florida, Georgia, etc.) have traditionally not bothered with the AWD versions much. This might have changed recently, but a few years ago, it was nearly impossible to find an AWD version down here. You decision might have been made for you by your local dealers.

In my experience, AWD is nicer in the rain/snow in the sense that you are less likely to lose grip while accelerating. It doesn't help you stop any quicker, though, so keep that in mind. Also, AWD is not a substitute for good tires. I'd rather have FWD with snow tires over AWD with all seasons.

The downsides to AWD are initial cost, gas mileage, and (maybe) reliability. The last generation CX-9 had a poorly designed transfer case that is known to cause problems. Hopefully, the new version fixed this. Time will tell...

They have both drivetrains here. Didn't know about the transfer case. All great info. Thank you for a thoughtful, educated response. It is appreciated jal142! 👍

AWD...here in Cda all 9s come in AWD. The penalty at the pump is insignificant but the advantages are worth it even for the extra cost. When you sell/trade it in you get better acceptance and recoup the extra cost of the AWD (less depreciation of course)

Thanks for the info! 👍

I can't imagine you get enough snow in TN to make AWD worth it. AWD may help handling on a Porsche Panamera, but the way you would typically drive a CX-9 would make it unlikely to be worth the added expense.
Thanks tex, appreciate the info although I'm leaning toward AWD.

Latest posts

Back