2.5 Litre Turbo coming to CX-5 sooner than we thought?

No its not until recently most cars sold were diesel. Little demand for petrol versions is the reason we don't get them, but that's changed since the adverse press reports, and cities are now threatening to add extra taxes for diesels.

Ahh... so 2.5L is in the pipeline for you guys (uhm)

The latest Autogefhl You Tube video on the CX-5 has the European version of the 2.5 with the E-Loop system, auto start/stop and cylinder management. While I am not totally against these systems personally my verdict is that they are not yet perfected. The aforementioned issues with vcm here are common knowledge. Auto start/stop seems reasonable but if you have to keep turning it off because of annoyance then what is the point ? I recently drove a Fiat Chrysler with start/stop. Pulling up into my driveway, the engine would stop before I could shift it into Park. Doing that restarted the engine for a couple of seconds then stop again. Now maybe this vehicle was not adjusted properly? In stop and go traffic the starter will get quite the workout especially in known horrible traffic regions like Seattle. Yes there is a button to turn it off but it is on by default.

I do believe that by not firing the cylinders that are deactivated this places imbalance in the engine. For a 4 cyl engine this is crucial. Maybe not so much for the eight or a six. This was a big reason I bought the Mazda. No VCM and no start/stop. Either of those systems would have been black flags for the purchase. I’m glad I got the 2017 if the 2018 Model will have these.

As for the turbo, it’s nice in certain situations but a naturally aspirated engine will be much more simple and easier to maintain. The turbo engines get 30 weight oil as well because of the increased stress and the turbo bearings.

I am not a fan of start stop, but it can be turned off so you never have to use it.

I hate it as well. My brothers XC90 T5 has it, and I showed him how to turn it off. But for a while it had to be turned off after each startup, until a recent ECU update that leaves it off permanently.

I hate it as well. My brothers XC90 T5 has it, and I showed him how to turn it off. But for a while it had to be turned off after each startup, until a recent ECU update that leaves it off permanently.

Most cars elsewhere in the world have it or are going to have it.

Will become part and parcel of the vehicle.

Mazda here has it across it's entire range including 2.5T CX-9

The only thing that isn't on all models here is i-Eloop.

I was at my dealer this afternoon and the general manager came from a trip where the 2018 CX5 was introduced to them. He said it was only minor cosmetic changes and additional standard features. I asked if there were new engine configuration he said none on CX5 but there is a turbo for the 6.

I was at my dealer this afternoon and the general manager came from a trip where the 2018 CX5 was introduced to them. He said it was only minor cosmetic changes and additional standard features. I asked if there were new engine configuration he said none on CX5 but there is a turbo for the 6.

So not even cylinder deactivation 2.5 (uhm)

Ive had my 2017 diesel since July. The Istop works perfectly and as it stalls the engine with the pistons poised at the optimum angle, the start up time is instant.

OK - so 2.5T is not coming but 2.5 with cylinder deactivation is

Source Mazda Australia:

Re-Engineered, Refined Mazda6 To Debut At Los Angeles Auto Show, in particular from that press release link:

Capture.jpg

The latest Autogefhl You Tube video on the CX-5 has the European version of the 2.5 with the E-Loop system, auto start/stop and cylinder management. While I am not totally against these systems personally my verdict is that they are not yet perfected. The aforementioned issues with vcm here are common knowledge. Auto start/stop seems reasonable but if you have to keep turning it off because of annoyance then what is the point ? I recently drove a Fiat Chrysler with start/stop. Pulling up into my driveway, the engine would stop before I could shift it into Park. Doing that restarted the engine for a couple of seconds then stop again. Now maybe this vehicle was not adjusted properly? In stop and go traffic the starter will get quite the workout especially in known horrible traffic regions like Seattle. Yes there is a button to turn it off but it is on by default.

Mazda's system doesn't use the starter.

I do believe that by not firing the cylinders that are deactivated this places imbalance in the engine. For a 4 cyl engine this is crucial. Maybe not so much for the eight or a six. This was a big reason I bought the Mazda. No VCM and no start/stop. Either of those systems would have been black flags for the purchase. Im glad I got the 2017 if the 2018 Model will have these.

The engine balance stays the same because even though the deactivated cylinders aren't firing, the pistons are still reciprocating. An inline four also has an even firing order, firing every 180 degrees of crank rotation. When the outer cylinders are deactivated, it retains an firing order, firing every 360 degrees of crank rotation. The issue with cylinder deactivation is plug fouling, resulting in misfires. Honda, GM, and Chrysler vehicles have had that problem.

Mazda's system doesn't use the starter.

The engine balance stays the same because even though the deactivated cylinders aren't firing, the pistons are still reciprocating. An inline four also has an even firing order, firing every 180 degrees of crank rotation. When the outer cylinders are deactivated, it retains an firing order, firing every 360 degrees of crank rotation. The issue with cylinder deactivation is plug fouling, resulting in misfires. Honda, GM, and Chrysler vehicles have had that problem.

I was thinking of the detonation in the firing cylinders against the ones not firing. I understand that all pistons are still moving but the detonation must be putting more energy and force into the active cylinders compared to the deactivated ones.

Ive had my 2017 diesel since July. The Istop works perfectly and as it stalls the engine with the pistons poised at the optimum angle, the start up time is instant.

As does my 2016. To any who don't like Istop perhaps more finesse with brakes are required? Slip Auto into neutral while stationary, engine stops, then into D and engine instantly restarts. Perhaps no good for burning away at the lights?

Latest posts

Back