2.5 Litre Turbo coming to CX-5 sooner than we thought?

Does a few things but cylinder deactivation afaik completely independent of button and just reads/responds to load and tells you when your down cylinders with the eco dash light..

"How Does Eco Mode Work?
When you press the Eco button to activate Eco mode, your car will adjust its behavior in a few different ways, all meant to improve gas mileage and help you drive more efficiently:

Gentler throttle – When you press the gas pedal, the throttle will open more slowly in order to use less gas.
More efficient shifting pattern – In vehicles with an automatic transmission, the car will shift into higher gears sooner than in normal driving mode. In models with a manual transmission, activating Eco mode will make the vehicle’s display screen indicate when to shift gears for maximum efficiency.
More efficient air conditioning – In Eco mode, your car will save on power by limiting how long the air conditioner will run."

Thanks. Our car has something called variable cylinder management, which I always assumed was the turning off of two cylinders for cruising.

I was thinking of the detonation in the firing cylinders against the ones not firing. I understand that all pistons are still moving but the detonation must be putting more energy and force into the active cylinders compared to the deactivated ones.

Cylinder deactivation only occurs when cruising under light load, so you're never in a situation where the inner two cylinders are firing hard & hot at high load while the outside cylinders are doing nothing. Nevertheless, over the life of the engine, there might be more wear on the inside cylinders.

Thanks for detailed explanation. But I helevd you still need more energy to compress the air in a sealed environment of inactive cylinder similar to engine brake, hence youre wasteing more energy than gaining from decompressing the compressed air.

Engine braking is different because the valves are still operating but the throttle is closed. When engine braking, the cylinder pulls a vaccum on the intake stroke because the throttle is closed. That's where most of the energy is lost. Then the intake valves close, trapping a partial vacuum, and the compression & power strokes basically cancel each other out, and finally the exhaust valves open and equalize the pressure in the cylinder with that of the exhaust.

Thanks. Our car has something called variable cylinder management, which I always assumed was the turning off of two cylinders for cruising.

It turns off three cylinders - the rear bank. Ironically, the Odyssey's current competitors get the same or close to the same MPG without cylinder deactivation. The Odyssey had a bigger advantage a decade ago, but it seems like others have figured out how to boost their economy without it.

See my previous page video link to explain how cylinder deactivation works

”Cylinder deactivation only occurs when cruising under light load, so you're never in a situation where the inner two cylinders are firing hard & hot at high load while the outside cylinders are doing nothing. Nevertheless, over the life of the engine, there might be more wear on the inside cylinders.

Thanks for this explanation. I didn’t realize that it was situation dependent.

Just got a response from Mazda Australia and they said at this point in time they have no further information in regards to an update to the CX-5 for the Australian Market. Any updates on this situation will be announced on their social media pages.

My query was for 2.5 with cylinder deactivation for CX-5

Maybe this might change after the Los Angeles motor show

2018 CX-5 announced to have cylinder deactivation.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-mazda-cx-5-adds-cylinder-deactivation/

Evidently a trend :
In 2015, more than 10 million gasoline vehicles were sold in Europe, of which approximately 224,000 vehicles had cylinder deactivation. Frost & Sullivan predicts 13 to 14 million gasoline-powered vehicles to be sold in Europe in 2022, of which about 600,000 to 700,000 units will have cylinder deactivation. With the changing market dynamics and evolution of newer technologies, cylinder deactivation is poised to increase its market penetration at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.71% from 2015-2022. https://ww2.frost.com/frost-perspectives /cylinder-deactivation-cost-effective-solution-better-fuel-economy/

While googling around, I could not find any positions stating that this is a welcomed technology.

So, today it would make sense to:
A) Not expect a diesel here in NA.
B) Not get stuck with this cylinder deactivation engine.
C) Run to a dealer and get a 2017 NA engine.
D) All of the above.

Answer ? : ______________

I have a ‘17 Skyactiv G. It’s pretty decent. I think I would be ok with cylinder deactivation. Better than start/stop

2018 CX-5 announced to have cylinder deactivation.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-mazda-cx-5-adds-cylinder-deactivation/

Evidently a trend :
In 2015, more than 10 million gasoline vehicles were sold in Europe, of which approximately 224,000 vehicles had cylinder deactivation. Frost & Sullivan predicts 13 to 14 million gasoline-powered vehicles to be sold in Europe in 2022, of which about 600,000 to 700,000 units will have cylinder deactivation. With the changing market dynamics and evolution of newer technologies, cylinder deactivation is poised to increase its market penetration at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.71% from 2015-2022. https://ww2.frost.com/frost-perspectives /cylinder-deactivation-cost-effective-solution-better-fuel-economy/

While googling around, I could not find any positions stating that this is a welcomed technology.

So, today it would make sense to:
A) Not expect a diesel here in NA.
B) Not get stuck with this cylinder deactivation engine.
C) Run to a dealer and get a 2017 NA engine.
D) All of the above.

Answer ? : ______________

Going w/D but I'd like to modify C with run to a dealer and get a 16.5 for the steering, sweet gt wheels, some mf swoop, better imo seats and did I mention steering...oh yeah and the 5k off or at least that's what i might try

Last edited:
Back