2.5 Litre Turbo coming to CX-5 sooner than we thought?

If the 2018 model comes out with a turbo engine and apple carplay it would be an almost perfect car for the price range.

If the 2018 model comes out with a turbo engine and apple carplay it would be an almost perfect car for the price range.
The perfect car would be turbo engine and Android Auto! (lol)

Just kidding, don't really care if ACP/AA is offered. More interested in 2.5T and 2.5 with cylinder deactivation

Last edited:
Of more interest to me was radar cc was going to be updated, to work as it should have done in the first place.

In the UK we don't even get the 2.5, so I don't see the 2.5T (which I would buy) as ever being offered. Anyway cylinder deactivation has been around for years, Mazda is just playing catch up.

Of more interest to me was radar cc was going to be updated, to work as it should have done in the first place.

In the UK we don't even get the 2.5, so I don't see the 2.5T (which I would buy) as ever being offered. Anyway cylinder deactivation has been around for years, Mazda is just playing catch up.
What's wrong with radar cc (uhm)

If memory serves, the 1st generation CX-5 initially came with 2.0L. The following year or so, the 2.5L came along because people said the 2.0L was underpowered.

The 2.0L petrol is the only petrol version in the UK.

⋯ Anyway cylinder deactivation has been around for years, Mazda is just playing catch up.
Never been a fan of cylinder deactivation system. How do you escape the energy loss from compressing and decompressing the air in deactivated cylinders?

The only cylinder deactivation system which is still implemented on current market is VCM, Variable Cylinder Management, on Honda V6 while others have given up long ago. And Honda had settled a class-action lawsuit over problems from these V6’s with VCM just a few years ago!

Last edited:
Local dealer had already confirmed cylinder deactivation a few months ago but had said nothing about the 2.5T. If true, I'd be kinda sad as we just took possession of a '17 this week...

It can drop out below 20mph, other systems are capable of controlling down to a complete stop.

Most adaptive cruise controls don't work under 20. Among those that do, most aren't stop and go, even on luxury brands (though that upgrade is now often an option).

Systems that allow full stop are more complex because they need to stop the car smoothly and very accurately. They need more fine control over the brakes and additional sensor fusion, possibly higher resolution sensors and processing too. Thus, extra cost.

does anybody know when the 2018 model for the 6 and cx5 would most likely hit dealers if they show it out at the LA autoshow in the next 2 weeks?

Never be a fan of cylinder deactivation system. How do you escape the energy loss from compressing and decompressing the air in deactivated cylinders?

The only cylinder deactivation system which is still implemented on current market is VCM, Variable Cylinder Management, on Honda V6 while others have given up long ago. And Honda had settled a class-action lawsuit over problems from these V6’s with VCM just a few years ago!

The air acts like a spring, absorbing energy on the upstroke and releasing it on the downstroke, assuming the valves seal properly of course. The air heats up as it compresses, and cools as it expands. If the compressed air temperature at TDC is higher than the surrounding metal, some energy is lost due to thermal transfer of heat energy from the air to the cylinder head and piston. But since there is no combustion in these cylinders, and the block is kept hot anyway by circulating coolant, I don't think the temperature differential is that big, which means the thermodynamic loss won't be that much. I think the frictional losses from sliding unused pistons up and down will be greater.

Like you, I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation. Piston rings aren't perfect seals, a small amount oil is always going to seep past the rings. Normally, it will be burned out during combustion. But if there's no combustion, it will accumulate. As you pointed out, Honda's VCM had problems with oil accumulation fouling the plugs and causing misfiring, leading to that lawsuit. It might also cause accumulation of carbon deposits. The increase in highway fuel economy Honda gained with cylinder deactivation was too small to be worth it IMO. But in today's regulatory environment, every MPG counts. Mazda must be hard up against their CAFE requirements if they're resorting to this.

Local dealer had already confirmed cylinder deactivation a few months ago but had said nothing about the 2.5T. If true, I'd be kinda sad as we just took possession of a '17 this week...

That is correct. If CX5 was getting turbo 2.5 the mazda news site would have altered its header and said CX5 and MAzda6 to get a 2.5 Turbo ... instead the headline said 6 is getting 2.5 Turbo.
So you are correct. CX5 will see the cylinder de activation helping folks well adjusted to its drivetrain to milk 2-3 mpg more. Never going to pay it back but can help sales a bit.

Over here no confirmation of either motor but they might either know something and not say anything or they do and not be allowed to say anything

I believe the VW system does control to a stop.

Most adaptive cruise controls don't work under 20. Among those that do, most aren't stop and go, even on luxury brands (though that upgrade is now often an option).

Systems that allow full stop are more complex because they need to stop the car smoothly and very accurately. They need more fine control over the brakes and additional sensor fusion, possibly higher resolution sensors and processing too. Thus, extra cost.

You sure it's him (uhm) The link above is to an Australian website and not USA and seems he's published on other Australia car websites.

No, it was sarcasm. My point is, I take everything with a grain of salt which isn't an official press release from Mazda. Historically, most these rumors end up not being true, so I don't know why everyone gets so excited about them.

No its not until recently most cars sold were diesel. Little demand for petrol versions is the reason we don't get them, but that's changed since the adverse press reports, and cities are now threatening to add extra taxes for diesels.

That's because diesel is sold more there

No, it was sarcasm. My point is, I take everything with a grain of salt which isn't an official press release from Mazda. Historically, most these rumors end up not being true, so I don't know why everyone gets so excited about them.

Fair enough and yes I also do talk it with a grain of salt but it is nice to dream that it's coming :)

Back