2.5 Litre Turbo coming to CX-5 sooner than we thought?

I’d be salty if it was my car but wife doesn’t care. I require more power tho so unless Mazda does a speed 3 or something like it with AWD I’m getting a Mk 7.5 Golf R

I’d be salty if it was my car but wife doesn’t care. I require more power tho so unless Mazda does a speed 3 or something like it with AWD I’m getting a Mk 7.5 Golf R

Try the 2019 Mazda 3 with SkyActiv-X engine

Isn’t that similar power to the Skyactiv G 2.5? I’m looking for 250-300 range for HP.
Roughly the same power output of current 2.5 but from 2.0L engine. They haven't spoken about SkyActiv X 2.5L yet, only the 2.0L

We want an awd ms3 hatch (assuming rwd is off the table) and we want it yesterday!

Last edited:
Cylinder Deactivation

The air acts like a spring, absorbing energy on the upstroke and releasing it on the downstroke, assuming the valves seal properly of course. The air heats up as it compresses, and cools as it expands. If the compressed air temperature at TDC is higher than the surrounding metal, some energy is lost due to thermal transfer of heat energy from the air to the cylinder head and piston. But since there is no combustion in these cylinders, and the block is kept hot anyway by circulating coolant, I don't think the temperature differential is that big, which means the thermodynamic loss won't be that much. I think the frictional losses from sliding unused pistons up and down will be greater.

Like you, I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation. Piston rings aren't perfect seals, a small amount oil is always going to seep past the rings. Normally, it will be burned out during combustion. But if there's no combustion, it will accumulate. As you pointed out, Honda's VCM had problems with oil accumulation fouling the plugs and causing misfiring, leading to that lawsuit. It might also cause accumulation of carbon deposits. The increase in highway fuel economy Honda gained with cylinder deactivation was too small to be worth it IMO. But in today's regulatory environment, every MPG counts. Mazda must be hard up against their CAFE requirements if they're resorting to this.
Thanks for detailed explanation. But I helevd you still need more energy to compress the air in a sealed environment of inactive cylinder similar to engine brake, hence youre wasteing more energy than gaining from decompressing the compressed air.

In any event the true efficiency gain from cylinder deactivation is minimum as you said, and the fact is every other car manufacture who had tried has given up but Honda. Honda VCM V6 has faced problems with class-action lawsuit. This makes me believe the system has more ill effect than efficiency gain.

We want an awd ms3 hatch (assuming rwd is off the table) and we want it yesterday!
Well the next 3 is supposed to be torison beam rear suspension. Wonder if this would impact on having AWD (uhm)

Well the next 3 is supposed to be torison beam rear suspension. Wonder if this would impact on having AWD (uhm)
Torison beam rear suspension like Mazda2? Cost cutting used at wrong place by Mazda! (notcool)

Yup if this doesn’t happen like I said it’s Golf R or maybe a 3 series with xdrive.

Manual or auto R? Friend at the office has a dsg..he loves it, goes like snot Id almost certainly get arrested in that...Sell the 3 imo..did just sample a rwd 230i stick with track handling pkg, not much else stickered around 38 nice car lacked features obviously and still felt a bit soft to me but outside of making it rain on an M2 that's the only bmw that still has (a little of) my attention. Only reason i found that (rwd and stick) was it was special ordered and the guy backed out for some reason.

I don't think I would willingly give vw my $ after dieselgate but the R does answer an awful lot of my questions..that said a cx5 and a twin does it even better with added benefit of keeping my license unrevoked..oh and donuts:)

Last edited:
Thanks for detailed explanation. But I helevd you still need more energy to compress the air in a sealed environment of inactive cylinder similar to engine brake, hence you’re wasteing more energy than gaining from decompressing the compressed air.

In any event the true efficiency gain from cylinder deactivation is minimum as you said, and the fact is every other car manufacture who had tried has given up but Honda. Honda VCM V6 has faced problems with class-action lawsuit. This makes me believe the system has more ill effect than efficiency gain.

Not so much. Gm and Chrysler use it, and my hemi was awesome. I could cruise on flat highway with no headwinds at 80 mph on 4 cylinders, full time dual drive shaft add, 18 inch tires, banging out 18 to 19mpg. My cx5 is 1000# lighter, more aerodynamic, deactivates 2 tires, has 2 inches less ground clearance, half a decade more engine technology, has only 1 driveshaft, and still only manages 5 to y mpg better.

DoD kicks ass.

In a powerful V8 sure, a 6 maybe, here idk just seems silly but i guess we'll see.

If I am not mistaken, Honda may have used it on there 4 cylinder Accord

Hi guys,

Have a read of this article:

Mazda6 Update To Debut At LA Auto Show

In particular:

00.png

So... 2.5T is coming to CX-5 now as well (scratch)

If it is to be believed, very interesting and enticing :D

Mazda's press release on the upcoming LA auto-show clearly states "updated Mazda CX-5, which adopts the same SKYACTIV-G 2.5 with cylinder deactivation as the new Mazda6, will both make their North American debut at the L.A. Auto Show". The CX-5 will eventually get the diesel engine and as such, I doubt it will get the 2.5 turbo.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda6-to-debut-at-la-auto-show/

Is that the so called "eco" mode in Honda automobiles? If so, the first thing is that it is noticeable and second, it does improve mileage. I have always been impressed that our Odyssey gets 27-30 MPG on the highway.

Does a few things but cylinder deactivation afaik completely independent of button and just reads/responds to load and tells you when your down cylinders with the eco dash light..

"How Does Eco Mode Work?
When you press the Eco button to activate Eco mode, your car will adjust its behavior in a few different ways, all meant to improve gas mileage and help you drive more efficiently:

Gentler throttle – When you press the gas pedal, the throttle will open more slowly in order to use less gas.
More efficient shifting pattern – In vehicles with an automatic transmission, the car will shift into higher gears sooner than in normal driving mode. In models with a manual transmission, activating Eco mode will make the vehicle’s display screen indicate when to shift gears for maximum efficiency.
More efficient air conditioning – In Eco mode, your car will save on power by limiting how long the air conditioner will run."

Last edited:
Back