2012 cx9 - vibrating metal sound

MrMazDuh

:
cx9
hi guys, I am new here. We just bought the wife a cx9. I love it. However, it is making a metal vibrating sound. Almost sounds like a heat shield vibrating or something metal. It does not sound like pinging or detonation. Currently I am running seafoam and 89 octane. It sounds like the dash/motor area....I read that maybe something is vibrating on the firewall??? Does somebody have a possible fix? And if so, could you post a picture? Any help would be appreciated !

hi guys, I am new here. We just bought the wife a cx9. I love it. However, it is making a metal vibrating sound. Almost sounds like a heat shield vibrating or something metal. It does not sound like pinging or detonation. Currently I am running seafoam and 89 octane. It sounds like the dash/motor area....I read that maybe something is vibrating on the firewall??? Does somebody have a possible fix? And if so, could you post a picture? Any help would be appreciated !

Why are you putting seafoam into the motor?

lol you have never heard of seafoam before? You can use it in your oil. You can also use it in the fuel tank. It's a great cleaning product for the combustion chamber and fuel system.

lol you have never heard of seafoam before? You can use it in your oil. You can also use it in the fuel tank. It's a great cleaning product for the combustion chamber and fuel system.

I know what seafoam is. Putting it into your gas tank is useless because you can always clean out your fuel injectors with a full throttle pull to redline (if you redline your car once a week, your injectors and fuel system doesnt need anything else)

Putting it into the crankcase is totally unnecessary unless you/the previous owner has been neglecting oil changes or your car has very high mileage. Its actually quite bad for the metals inside your engine to use seafoam regularly, especially if you dont drain the oil and change it right away.

Putting it into a vacuum line (for the intake to suck it up and clean your cylinder head, intake manifold etc. Is also totally unnecessary because your v6 is a relatively modern design with port injection which cleans the valves/ports of any carbon buildup due to the detergent-like nature of the gasoline. What Im trying to say is that the seafoam is totally 100% unnecessary for you and your car, I bet you its doing more harm than good if anything.

Unless your owners manual specified that 91 octane fuel is okay, then 87 octane is totally 100% sufficient especially since that is what Mazda recommends for your car anyway. If youre going to go out your way or pay extra for a certain type of fuel, I highly recommend looking for a fuel that has no ethanol in it, or at least 5% ethanol like shell 89 vs. The typical 10% blend you see everywhere else. You will notice better power and considerably improved fuel efficiency by switching to an ethanol-free fuel.

I know what seafoam is. Putting it into your gas tank is useless because you can always clean out your fuel injectors with a full throttle pull to redline (if you redline your car once a week, your injectors and fuel system doesn’t need anything else)

Putting it into the crankcase is totally unnecessary unless you/the previous owner has been neglecting oil changes or your car has very high mileage. It’s actually quite bad for the metals inside your engine to use seafoam regularly, especially if you don’t drain the oil and change it right away.

Putting it into a vacuum line (for the intake to suck it up and clean your cylinder head, intake manifold etc. Is also totally unnecessary because your v6 is a relatively modern design with port injection which cleans the valves/ports of any carbon buildup due to the detergent-like nature of the gasoline. What I’m trying to say is that the seafoam is totally 100% unnecessary for you and your car, I bet you it’s doing more harm than good if anything.

Unless your owners manual specified that 91 octane fuel is okay, then 87 octane is totally 100% sufficient especially since that is what Mazda recommends for your car anyway. If you’re going to go out your way or pay extra for a certain type of fuel, I highly recommend looking for a fuel that has no ethanol in it, or at least 5% ethanol like shell 89 vs. The typical 10% blend you see everywhere else. You will notice better power and considerably improved fuel efficiency by switching to an ethanol-free fuel.

thanks for your useless input. =)

Did you actually check the heat shield? I had mine come loose.

I had the same problem when the car had a load on it at low speed. The muffler has a soft spot in it on the bottom of main chamber. I used a large hose clamp all the way around muffler with a piece of metal squeezed up into soft spot to depress it and take away the vibration.

it is definitely coming from the front of the car in the engine bay. Happens from 1800-2000 RPMS on the dot. Basically in any gear. Others have talked about adding a nut on the firewall, I just need a picture to see it...There is a bracket near the firewall that I see, but when I hit it there is no vibrating sound. This noise is driving me nuts.

The heat shield above the exhaust is indeed something that rusts out on CX-9s and may be the source of your rattle. You can zip tie it or remove it all together. There have also been comments in the earlier days that the CX-9 engines have a slight knock when accelerating at lower RPMs.

ZoomFive

The heat shield above the exhaust is indeed something that rusts out on CX-9s and may be the source of your rattle. You can zip tie it or remove it all together. There have also been comments in the earlier days that the CX-9 engines have a slight knock when accelerating at lower RPMs.

ZoomFive

this is not engine detonation/ping, I know that that sounds like . I read a TSB about the exhaust pre-silencer, I guess it may cause a buzzing metal exactly around 1800 RPMs. I am going to look into it. I was just curious what nut you guys were talking about on the firewall ...

Back