Adjusting volume for GPS in CX-5 infotainment system?

Hng66

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS
I'm unable to locate the volume setting for my GPS on my infotainment system. As of now, I can't hear anything from this GPS. I hope it's not a defective GPS. Does anybody know where I can find this setting if there's one at all. Thanks much!!!

You've got to adjust volume at exact time when GPS says something, or the left speaker gets muted, if you can't hear GPS at all.

Been a while since I've done this but IIRC, you can also go to the navigation settings menu and look for "Voice" and then "Volume".
Adjustments there provide a sample voice to set the volume to your preference.
(I DO know that the exact procedure is found in the owner's manual or navigation manual that comes with the vehicle.)

What do you mean by the 'exact time when GPS says something'??? Shouldn't there be a volume setting somewhere on the screen??? I thank you for your help though.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have searched for that navigation settings menu, but was not available. I find it quite odd that it's not there.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have searched for that navigation settings menu, but was not available. I find it quite odd that it's not there.

The navigation settings menu is not with the other vehicle settings menus. It's accessible from the main Nav screen. Try this from the main Nav screen:

Select Nav Settings (bottom right corner)
Select Guidance Settings
Select Guidance Volume and adjust as desired.

What do you mean by the 'exact time when GPS says something'??? Shouldn't there be a volume setting somewhere on the screen??? I thank you for your help though.

If you turn the volume knob, it will adjust WHATEVER is currently being outputted at the moment you turn the knob.

FOR EXAMPLE: Lets say you are operating the FM radio, and Navigation together... When the radio is playing turning the volume knob adjusts the radio, when the NAVIGATION voice is speaking, turning the volume knob adjusts the NAVIGATION voice.

You will also notice that when you turn the volume knob, there is an icon inside the volume graphic onscreen that illustrates what output you are adjusting. A music note icon for music, a map icon for navigation, a cell phone icon for phone volume, etc.

Last edited:
I've gotten caught with this once or twice. And I agree that adjusting the Nav volume is easy using the volume knob IF the navigation is audible. IE, if it's too loud or a bit too quiet. If it gets turned off, however, there's no way to know just when the navigation is playing, so that makes adjusting it via the volume button a guessing game. When that happens it's much easier to go to the navigation settings and adjust it up from there.

An easy way to get there is to press the NAV button, Press the /\ button in the lower left-hand side of the screen, then press the button that looks like a gear, then click guidance settings, then adjust volume.

Unlike other nav system voices I've used when the voice comes on any music/sound system being played is NOT muted so that the voice directions can be very hard to hear. Any way to address this problem?

Is there a voice option? My Nav voice is soft and lower pitch than I prefer. My old stand alone unit had several voices to choose from.

Thank you very much for this information! I was driving yesterday and could barely hear the GPS navigation voice. Previous times it had been just fine. Perhaps I lowered the GPS volume accidentally while thinking I was adjusting the radio volume. Volume back to normal now!

If you turn the volume knob, it will adjust WHATEVER is currently being outputted at the moment you turn the knob.

FOR EXAMPLE: Lets say you are operating the FM radio, and Navigation together... When the radio is playing turning the volume knob adjusts the radio, when the NAVIGATION voice is speaking, turning the volume knob adjusts the NAVIGATION voice.

You will also notice that when you turn the volume knob, there is an icon inside the volume graphic onscreen that illustrates what output you are adjusting. A music note icon for music, a map icon for navigation, a cell phone icon for phone volume, etc.
Is there a way to change the Icon? I need to change the volume for my Navigation, I can't hear it at all.
My Settings and Guidance Volume is ok.

Back