2018 Mazda CX 9 Pricing

I must say it is rather nice that we are able to pick-up these brand new CX-9s at such 'bargain prices' across the board in most cases. However, rest assured that these prices won't last forever. Mazda, in its infinite wisdom, want's and indeed needs to get the CX-9 up to a higher street level profile in the US. The best way to accomplish that task is by making it 'affordable' to more buyers.

My gut feeling tells me two things. One - we have only just begun to see where Mazda is going to ultimately take the CX-9. I think this vehicle is about to get much nicer looking and more endowed with both Performance Upgrades and an even higher level of Creature Comforts. Those increases will ultimately translate into higher prices on the showroom floor in future CX-9 renditions. Priming the pump right now, is most likely what Mazda is doing with current CX-9 pricing.

I've compared the Signature to many different SUVs, but in particular the Volvo XC-90, Audi Q7, Audi Q5 and Accura MDX. Without question, the XC-90 and Q7 are simply better SUVs - but the question is how much better. The answer turned out to be 15% to 20% better materials, technology and engineering. Yet, the CX-9 Signature costs around 50% as much. That kind of math makes it really difficult for some people to justify the XC-90 or Q7, if they are on a budget - because they can get 80% to 85% of a XC-90 or Q7 by buying the CX-9 Signature.

When it comes to the smaller Audi Q5 and Accura MDX, I honestly see the Signature at Par with both. In fact, in the case of the Q5 that I test drove (both 2017 and 2018), I was shocked at the fact that the Audi interior simply felt slightly less comfortable than the Signature. There was also something about the overall geometry of the CX-9 Signature Interior that seemed or felt better in design than the geometry of the Audi Q5. In fact, I felt the Accura MDX Advanced Interior Design to be a hair's cut above that of the Audi Q5.

With Mazda just beginning to dump all this goodness into the new CX-9, plus the upgrades that I suspect will continue to be dripped into the platform over the next few years - look for prices to creep higher along with those improvements. When you are making something as nice as an Audi Q5 and flat out better than the Accura MDX Advanced and in some places at Par with a Volvo XC-90 or Audi Q7, you can't keep doing that at bargain basement prices forever - unless that's Mazda overall strategy and they are seriously committed to that strategy.

Look for a solid $50K CX-9 Signature in the not so distant future and one that will be even better than the current 2018. A 2.5 liter V6 Turbo with additional component roll-out on more iSKYACTIV Vehicle Dynamics features, maybe? G-Vectoring was the first real component roll-out into the new CX-9 form the existing iSKYACTIV Vehicle Dynamics category. This means they are not done improving the handling quality of the CX-9! Its gonna get even better - if that is even possible.

No red on the signature in the US. Its a good thing too, my wife only wanted red. We still need to pick ours up, 3 hour drive one way. But it was $1300 less than the local dealer.

Thanks for your insights everyone! After spending the last year and a half trying to decide between three very different vehicles (14 GC SRT, 15 4Runner, 17 CX-9), and the last couple of weeks going back and forth between three Mazda dealerships, we drove to a very well reviewed dealer 2.5 hours out of the city. We left there with a done deal on a 2018 CX-9 Signature in MGM for $55250 CAD or ~$43,400 USD (before financing). Unfortunately, since this is our first Mazda and I'm no longer a student, we weren't able to take advantage of the rebates that were offered.

The deal includes block heater, cargo cover/net/liner, front and rear mud guards, all-weather floor mats, and touch up paint pen.

Also includes 3M paint protection film (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors), rust inhibitor treatment, 4 year extended warranty, and 5 free oil changes (and a free pair of Bose QC35 headphones from Mazda Canada).

They'll be driving it down and delivering it to us either late next week, or in the first week of January.

I can't wait 😁😁

Oh we were also able to get the payments deferred for 3 months, forgot about that

Oh we were also able to get the payments deferred for 3 months, forgot about that

Does the $55K pricing include taxes already? I assume it does given it's only 5% gst in AB... If it does then that's a good deal already given the limited wiggle room we have here in Cda. Congrats on your purchase and you'll be happy withthe CX9 even better the upgraded features on the 2018 vs the 2016/2017 MY...

Last edited:
I was looking to replace or add a car to replace my 2007 Pacifica Limited and found the CX-9. Being in the aviation field, they had me with the Heads Up Display. I originally was going to get the touring with the touring package but could not get anyone to accept my offer. so after a few weeks of trying different dealers I had decided to see what they would nibble on for a GT. I offered 39k US out the door price to 5 dealers. finally one took me up so I am now the owner of a 2018 Blue GT CX-9. Now the hard part. Getting my wife trained on the techno in it.

Does the $55K pricing include taxes already? I assume it does given it's only 5% gst in AB... If it does then that's a good deal already given the limited wiggle room we have here in Cda. Congrats on your purchase and you'll be happy withthe CX9 even better the upgraded features on the 2018 vs the 2016/2017 MY...

Yep, $55,250 is the all-in cash price before financing. They also worked in the three month deferral as it will be a promo for Boxing Day, which was nice because it saves us a drive back there.

I'm very motivated in buying a new 2018 Mazda CX9, Signature Trim level. I've been emailing a few dealerships and pretty much get around the same Out The Door pricing, which is approximately 44K. I'm telling all the dealerships (via Email) that I will only buy if the price is in the 42K range Out the Door. Is this such a ridiculous price? Or is it that they won't do that type of negotiation via email. I've read on this thread that getting a 2018 Signature CX9 in the 42K range out the door isn't too far fetched. Am I wrong?

I'm very motivated in buying a new 2018 Mazda CX9, Signature Trim level. I've been emailing a few dealerships and pretty much get around the same Out The Door pricing, which is approximately 44K. I'm telling all the dealerships (via Email) that I will only buy if the price is in the 42K range Out the Door. Is this such a ridiculous price? Or is it that they won't do that type of negotiation via email. I've read on this thread that getting a 2018 Signature CX9 in the 42K range out the door isn't too far fetched. Am I wrong?

I find it hard to compare prices with other forum posters. Someone may brag about an amazing deal they got on the sales price, but leave out the fact they got hosed on the value of their trade in. So many people focus on sales price, and just accept whatever trade in is offered to them.

Also, comparing out the door pricing is odd, because it includes unavoidable location specific fees that can vary widely from one area to another. Some states have higher DMV fees to register a car. Some states have no sales tax while some charge over 7%. That can change the out the door price of a car thousands of dollars.

Grahamb- I agree with your above statement. So here's my full disclosure. I think I posted an out the door price before of $40,000.

2018 CX9 GT Blue- $37,230 November 28. 2017. Houston, TX area. No trade in, no financing. It did include a $1000 instant rebate and a $500 customer loyalty rebate. Others have gotten better deals but I was patient and got the best deal I could get at the time. I thought it was a fair deal and I am very happy with the car.

I also agree with grahamb. Dinky89484, you're not crazy to ask for that price, but whether or not you can expect to get it is really dependent on your market and how much volume the dealerships have. Higher volume/sales usually means they're more willing to take a profit hit since they've made profits on other sales.

Conversely, some dealerships may be so hard up for sales that they will try to compete with a higher volume dealership to earn your business. For example, in my case, one dealership located 90 minutes out of the city was competing with a dealership that was local to me. At the local dealership, I had the typical dealership experience. Nothing really stood out to make me want to give them my business. At the other dealership, the salesman I dealt with was very accommodating, maintained excellent communication without pressuring me to make a decision, and went out of his way to answer any questions I had in a timely manner.

I basically hammered out my deal over email, but it really depends on the person you're dealing with. I like to be up front about who I'm dealing with, so I made sure to let each dealership I was talking to know which other dealerships I had contacted and what prices they were quoting me. It also helps to be patient as mentioned above. When the end of the month comes, some salespeople are willing to flex a little more on pricing because they want to close the sale for the month. It also helps to make sure that you get quotes in writing, via text or email. This will make it easier for the salespeople to justify a lowered price to their sales managers/finance managers.

For the record, I negotiated an all-in (taxes and fees) cash price, and would not discuss financing options or trade-ins until we had agreed on a cash price. I did provide a downpayment amount if they asked. In the end, I financed an all-in price of 43,400 USD with no trade-in. This included about 1400 USD of OEM accessories, the rust protection treatment (~450 USD), 3M paint protection film on the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors(~700 USD according to the dealer), the four year extended warranty (~800 USD), and five free oil changes (dealer-quoted value of ~440 USD). It would have been awesome if I was able to take advantage of the student rebate and the loyalty rebate as well, but I'm pretty happy with the deal I got.

Last edited:

You are not wrong. I know several places you could actually beat that price. I purchased my wife a 2018 Signature white CX-9 for 39,619 included a 1000 dollar rebate with no trade in and financing. I also got other prices from the another local dealer of ~40,400 including the 1000 dollar rebate no trade in and no financing. If you call around I am sure you can get a good price.

You are not wrong. I know several places you could actually beat that price. I purchased my wife a 2018 Signature white CX-9 for 39,619 included a 1000 dollar rebate with no trade in and financing. I also got other prices from the another local dealer of ~40,400 including the 1000 dollar rebate no trade in and no financing. If you call around I am sure you can get a good price.

Thank you! That makes me feel stronger about holding my stubbornness about the pricing.

So I was right before. It’s not a great deal if you don’t get atleast 15% below msrp. You got a very good deal. What was the sales price without TTL?

Just curious, were any accessories/upgrades or other add-ons like extended warranty included in your OTD price?

Just curious, were any accessories/upgrades or other add-ons like extended warranty included in your OTD price?

No, the signature comes with carpet floor mats and cargo mat. The only thing that made the price higher was the white paint was a 200 dollar option. There not any other add ons or extended warranty

So I was right before. It’s not a great deal if you don’t get atleast 15% below msrp. You got a very good deal. What was the sales price without TTL?

Yes it was without TTL. In Arkansas, you don't pay those to the dealer. You pay them directly to the state. The tax is not cheap but the title fee is about 10 dollars and license is about 20 dollars.

Back