Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mazda CX 9 Pricing

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Hey folks. Canadian here. I'm looking at a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 with about $1700 in dealer accessories. Using the mazda.ca website, this build comes out to just shy of $57k all in (cash). After talking to a few dealerships, I have an offer of $55k all in, plus free 3M bumper, hood and side mirror application. There's also a promo for a free Bose device if I buy before the end of the year, but that's not really a big deal to me. $55,000 CAD works out to about $42,700 USD. Basically only $1500 USD off, plus free 3M treatment. Should I fight for more? I figured I would solidify a cash price first, then figure out financing afterwards. Seems like others are getting $4-5000 off the sticker price.

Or would I be better off saying no to the 3M treatment to get a better cash price, then doing some paint protection film or coating like Opti-coat on my own?

I'm at a loss here, this is my first time buying new.
    I got a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 GT for ~$52,000 CAD all in including winter tires, sensors and alloy rims, remote starter, floor mats for 3 rows and cargo mat. Are you looking at GT or Signature trim?

Registered Member

Mazda CX9 GT 2018, Mazda3 2010

Hey folks. Canadian here. I'm looking at a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 with about $1700 in dealer accessories. Using the mazda.ca website, this build comes out to just shy of $57k all in (cash). After talking to a few dealerships, I have an offer of $55k all in, plus free 3M bumper, hood and side mirror application. There's also a promo for a free Bose device if I buy before the end of the year, but that's not really a big deal to me. $55,000 CAD works out to about $42,700 USD. Basically only $1500 USD off, plus free 3M treatment. Should I fight for more? I figured I would solidify a cash price first, then figure out financing afterwards. Seems like others are getting $4-5000 off the sticker price.

Or would I be better off saying no to the 3M treatment to get a better cash price, then doing some paint protection film or coating like Opti-coat on my own?

I'm at a loss here, this is my first time buying new.
    Always make a deal on the out the door price, including all taxes and title fees. Paint protection programs are usually a scam and they might add a 1000$/ Just refuse. Here is what I did. I went to Mazda's website and built the car and found the MSRP. Then as CrazyBiker suggested, I deducted 15% from the MSRP. Then added a reasonable tax plus title fees. Offered that amount to the dealer. But, only mistake I did was that the sales guy already rolled-in my trade-in into that. So, my asking was only 11% off MSRP. You can ask for 15% below MRP out the door, so that you will have room to negotiate.

Financing is separate. Mazda offers financing through Chase. But, the dealers will try to make you believe, you have to pay more to get the financing offer.
    Last edited by karthik1516; 12-19-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
    You are losing if you are not atleast getting 15% off msrp. This is not a new model any more.
    Curious, where does your figure of 15% come from? Is that just based on your own purchases and experiences in the past? Or do you know for a fact that these models have at least a 15% margin that dealers will give you?

Quote Originally Posted by teknowiz View Post
    I got a 2018 Machine Grey Metallic CX-9 GT for ~$52,000 CAD all in including winter tires, sensors and alloy rims, remote starter, floor mats for 3 rows and cargo mat. Are you looking at GT or Signature trim?
    Quote Originally Posted by karthik1516 View Post
    Always make a deal on the out the door price, including all taxes and title fees. Paint protection programs are usually a scam and they might add a 1000$/ Just refuse. Here is what I did. I went to Mazda's website and built the car and found the MSRP. Then as CrazyBiker suggested, I deducted 15% from the MSRP. Then added a reasonable tax plus title fees. Offered that amount to the dealer. But, only mistake I did was that the sales guy already rolled-in my trade-in into that. So, my asking was only 11% off MSRP. You can ask for 15% below MRP out the door, so that you will have room to negotiate.

Financing is separate. Mazda offers financing through Chase. But, the dealers will try to make you believe, you have to pay more to get the financing offer.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a Signature. Accessories that were priced into the 55k CAD are: block heater, soft cargo liner, all-weather mats, cargo cover, cargo net, front and rear mud guards, and touch-up paint pen. This also includes AB sales tax (5%) and fees, "no other hidden fees" as the sales manager told me in an email. No trade-in (we're giving the Civic to my in-laws), and we haven't discussed downpayments or financing yet as I want to secure a price before deciding on in-house financing or going through my bank. Paint protection wasn't something I was interested in, but my wife mentioned it and the sales manager said he would throw it in to get my business.

Here's what I've worked out.

MSRP is 50,100.
    Options, accessories, fees etc. are an additional 4061.25.
    Add 5% sales tax to 54,161.25, and I have 56,869.31. This doesn't include the PPF that was offered.
    Sales manager agreed to $55,000 out the door (without financing). With this deal, is appears I'm not really saving much, especially when compared to the 15% off I should be asking for, shown below.

MSRP of 50,100 less 15% is 42,585.
    Add 5% sales tax to 46,646.25, and I have 48,978.56 before financing.

Should I just ask for it and see what they come back with? Sorry for all the questions, again, first time buyer here.

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 Signature

Curious, where does your figure of 15% come from? Is that just based on your own purchases and experiences in the past? Or do you know for a fact that these models have at least a 15% margin that dealers will give you?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a Signature. Accessories that were priced into the 55k CAD are: block heater, soft cargo liner, all-weather mats, cargo cover, cargo net, front and rear mud guards, and touch-up paint pen. This also includes AB sales tax (5%) and fees, "no other hidden fees" as the sales manager told me in an email. No trade-in (we're giving the Civic to my in-laws), and we haven't discussed downpayments or financing yet as I want to secure a price before deciding on in-house financing or going through my bank. Paint protection wasn't something I was interested in, but my wife mentioned it and the sales manager said he would throw it in to get my business.

Here's what I've worked out.

MSRP is 50,100.
    Add 5% sales tax to 54,161.25, and I have 56,869.31. This doesn't include the PPF that was offered.
    Sales manager agreed to $55,000 out the door (without financing). With this deal, is appears I'm not really saving much, especially when compared to the 15% off I should be asking for, shown below.

MSRP of 50,100 less 15% is 42,585.
    Add 5% sales tax to 46,646.25, and I have 48,978.56 before financing.

Should I just ask for it and see what they come back with? Sorry for all the questions, again, first time buyer here.

You have to remember that it's a bit different in the US than here in Cda where there are fewer dealerships to deal and negotiate with not to mention the amount of sales and inventory. That's what happened to me with my purchase last year. To be honest not much wiggle room here in Cda given the sales volume of CX9s (only 10% of US sales) therefore the inventories are also not huge. The best tactic I can advise you would be to find other dealers in your area and show them the lowest OTD price you got from that last dealer you negotiated with and try to get them to beat that quote either with a discount or incentives via accessories. Also when you negotiate the price as with any accessories you want make sure that they're giving it to you at cost. I wish the dealer network/sales/inventories are same here as in the US so we can get better deals...

Also when you negotiate, get them to discount the vehicle from its MSRP...the Bose incentive is from Mazda Cda not the dealer so that's separate...if you ask me given our market in Cda that $56-57K OTD price is not that bad...mine cost around $61K after all taxes and fees though where I live the tax was gst-pst 13% not like the 5% you have in AB

14' Mazda6 GT Tech, 17' Kia Sorento SXL V6 AWD V6, BMW S1000R/RR

In US it is not uncommon to get these kind of discounts. I have succeeded to get these on all my car from various brands.

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
    In US it is not uncommon to get these kind of discounts. I have succeeded to get these on all my car from various brands.
    No need to rub it in...we already knew that that's why I already mentioned it on my prev post and quite obvious with the posts on other pricing threads

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdabear View Post
    I got my 18 Signature for 40,300 after loyalty and before tax and fees with the cash offer. I was told that the 0% financing would increase the price by 1k.
    As soon as you decide, or tell them, that you will be financing the car and not paying cash, the price goes up.
    You will never get the cash price if you finance it, ever.
    In your example, 0% financing will cost you $1K. That's not 0%, is it?
    Nobody gives money away, so this 0% financing scam is all smoke and mirrors, and they all do it, not just Mazda.
    If you finance it, you will pay interest, even if it's invisible.
    Just a heads up folks.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5

We just got a 2018 GT in red for $39,687. We have to pick it up from another town. So I don't have it yet.
    2018 CX-9 Grand Touring
    2010 Mazda5 Sport Manual
    2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
    2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3 PSD
    1991 Miata

Registered Member

Mazda CX9 GT 2018, Mazda3 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
    We just got a 2018 GT in red for $39,687. We have to pick it up from another town. So I don't have it yet.
    Congrats! I recently got a red. Love the color. It is gorgeous.

Registered Member

18' CX9 Signature

Congrats.
    My wife really love the Soul Red however it isn't available on the Signature here in CA. Is it in US?

Guest2017
    I must say it is rather nice that we are able to pick-up these brand new CX-9s at such 'bargain prices' across the board in most cases. However, rest assured that these prices won't last forever. Mazda, in its infinite wisdom, want's and indeed needs to get the CX-9 up to a higher street level profile in the US. The best way to accomplish that task is by making it 'affordable' to more buyers.

My gut feeling tells me two things. One - we have only just begun to see where Mazda is going to ultimately take the CX-9. I think this vehicle is about to get much nicer looking and more endowed with both Performance Upgrades and an even higher level of Creature Comforts. Those increases will ultimately translate into higher prices on the showroom floor in future CX-9 renditions. Priming the pump right now, is most likely what Mazda is doing with current CX-9 pricing.

I've compared the Signature to many different SUVs, but in particular the Volvo XC-90, Audi Q7, Audi Q5 and Accura MDX. Without question, the XC-90 and Q7 are simply better SUVs - but the question is how much better. The answer turned out to be 15% to 20% better materials, technology and engineering. Yet, the CX-9 Signature costs around 50% as much. That kind of math makes it really difficult for some people to justify the XC-90 or Q7, if they are on a budget - because they can get 80% to 85% of a XC-90 or Q7 by buying the CX-9 Signature.

When it comes to the smaller Audi Q5 and Accura MDX, I honestly see the Signature at Par with both. In fact, in the case of the Q5 that I test drove (both 2017 and 2018), I was shocked at the fact that the Audi interior simply felt slightly less comfortable than the Signature. There was also something about the overall geometry of the CX-9 Signature Interior that seemed or felt better in design than the geometry of the Audi Q5. In fact, I felt the Accura MDX Advanced Interior Design to be a hair's cut above that of the Audi Q5.

With Mazda just beginning to dump all this goodness into the new CX-9, plus the upgrades that I suspect will continue to be dripped into the platform over the next few years - look for prices to creep higher along with those improvements. When you are making something as nice as an Audi Q5 and flat out better than the Accura MDX Advanced and in some places at Par with a Volvo XC-90 or Audi Q7, you can't keep doing that at bargain basement prices forever - unless that's Mazda overall strategy and they are seriously committed to that strategy.

Look for a solid $50K CX-9 Signature in the not so distant future and one that will be even better than the current 2018. A 2.5 liter V6 Turbo with additional component roll-out on more iSKYACTIV Vehicle Dynamics features, maybe? G-Vectoring was the first real component roll-out into the new CX-9 form the existing iSKYACTIV Vehicle Dynamics category. This means they are not done improving the handling quality of the CX-9! Its gonna get even better - if that is even possible.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5

No red on the signature in the US. Its a good thing too, my wife only wanted red. We still need to pick ours up, 3 hour drive one way. But it was $1300 less than the local dealer.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Thanks for your insights everyone! After spending the last year and a half trying to decide between three very different vehicles (14 GC SRT, 15 4Runner, 17 CX-9), and the last couple of weeks going back and forth between three Mazda dealerships, we drove to a very well reviewed dealer 2.5 hours out of the city. We left there with a done deal on a 2018 CX-9 Signature in MGM for $55250 CAD or ~$43,400 USD (before financing). Unfortunately, since this is our first Mazda and I'm no longer a student, we weren't able to take advantage of the rebates that were offered.

The deal includes block heater, cargo cover/net/liner, front and rear mud guards, all-weather floor mats, and touch up paint pen.

Also includes 3M paint protection film (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors), rust inhibitor treatment, 4 year extended warranty, and 5 free oil changes (and a free pair of Bose QC35 headphones from Mazda Canada).

They'll be driving it down and delivering it to us either late next week, or in the first week of January.

I can't wait 😁😁

Oh we were also able to get the payments deferred for 3 months, forgot about that

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 Signature

Oh we were also able to get the payments deferred for 3 months, forgot about that
    Does the $55K pricing include taxes already? I assume it does given it's only 5% gst in AB... If it does then that's a good deal already given the limited wiggle room we have here in Cda. Congrats on your purchase and you'll be happy withthe CX9 even better the upgraded features on the 2018 vs the 2016/2017 MY...
    Last edited by tekbis; 12-24-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast