2018 Mazda6 to get 2.5T motor

Finally! Now journalists can no longer complain that the Mazda6 is slow.

I'm fine if it doesn't come with AWD, as long as it comes with LSD.

Agreed, the open differential in this car is the weak point during aggressive driving even with the base 2.5L engine. An LSD and some stiffer lower suspension, sway bars would make this thing corner incredible.

2L X makes around 190hp and 220ftlb, better than the 2.5G but not quite there as that of the 2.5T.

No, the 2L X motor will make roughly 170hp and 188 ft/lb of torque. The 2.5X will make about 210HP and 250ft/lb of torque.

^Have you ever driven a high(er) powered FWD car? I have (certainly not all of them but per my experience):
FWD+LSD+250+hp/tq = torque steer guarantee or your money back to which I say thx, no thx

Sorry to say this (well, not really), but my recently purchased 2017 Mazda 6 GT with premium and tech is pretty darn quiet.
It's a heckuva lot quieter than my old Altima, I'll tell you that.

No that is great news! That means they applied some of the same CX-5 stuff to the Mazda 6.

I have said the 6 would get the 2.5T before any other car since July of 2016! And it is the logical place to put it. If that is your premium car, it should have that engine. I could see sales doubling, which is not a great accomplishment but would be very good for the bottom line.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-Los-Angeles-Auto-Show/page3&highlight=dougal

^Have you ever driven a high(er) powered FWD car? I have (certainly not all of them but per my experience):
FWD+LSD+250+hp/tq = torque steer guarantee or your money back to which I say thx, no thx

I have actually. The Acura TL has 286 hp and 250 ft/lb of torque and barely a whiff of torque steer at full throttle.

I love my RWD cars, but Im not going to lie that the chassis tuning on this TL is rather brilliant. It rides nice and smooth at speed, but it handles excellent with very direct steering response for such a heavy car and minimal body lean. Very well tuned car and the v6 engine is nice. This car corners better then most AWD vehicles I have been in with lots of rotation and even full on oversteer when approaching the limits around a corner. Pop the alignment strut pins or get some camber plates on the front axle for more negative camber and this FWD Acura will be full on drifting corners.

Ive seen my friend countersteering while going a good 150km/h around a tight sweeper. Great handling car where you wouldnt ever expect it.

The Mazda 6 might go around a corner with more passion and soul, the steering has better more organic feel but Hondas FWD chassis is a little bit better balanced. they manage to somehow absorb bumps through the chassis itself rather than the suspension, which allows them to dial in stiffer suspension without sacrificing ride quality. The Mazda is also nicely tuned but body motions is arent quite as well damped around corners. a bit too much body roll for my taste although the car handles more nimble then the Acura when kept within its paces.

Last edited:
^That wasn't my experience- owned one for a year an 06 w/6MT (that came w/LSD)- not a bad car but it did torque steer- it kinda made me hate FWD (I was RWDs exclusively prior to that car) probably more than was/is deserved. All that power at the front wheels just never lets you forget that you bought a compromised performance option- it just is. I thought it was good bang for the buck (and it was) that could also do a substantially better job than my rear drivers in the snow- really to get my ass up my steep driveway with more than a few flurries on it (it didn't) and I had to exit that position in favor of AWD options- really never missed it- quick, capable but no soul and torque steer for days. Maybe one you drove that had the open diff?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back