2018 Mazda6 to get 2.5T motor

So how can mazda make 300,000 6 sedans in a year for North America?

Oh wait a minute. Enthusiasts have more opinions than 💰. Still don't hurt to add 15k to sales figures.

Glad to see they are doing something to stay current in this segment. I hope this update includes some sound deadening work as well.

Finally! Now journalists can no longer complain that the Mazda6 is slow.

I'm fine if it doesn't come with AWD, as long as it comes with LSD.

This 6 will be the first mazda where sport mode will actually have any meaning. jejejejeje

Good news! now lets just hope that the following year they offer up that engine in the CX-5. I know the skyactive-x is coming so maybe there is no need but since we haven't seen power number or mpg numbers yet the 2.5T in the CX-5 is top of my wish list for now. If the X engine makes similar power with better mpg's then that's a win for everyone, but it's yet to be seen.

Why can't they just put the 2.5T in the CX5?!? I definitely would have bought this. The Forester XT is a clunky vehicle and I don't love CVTs, but at least it can get out of its own way. The CX5 is already quite nice for the segment in terms of interior and exterior styling. Adding more power would really help steal luxury buyers. I would have bought my wife a BMW or Audi equivalent with more motor if wife wasn't so averse to being seen in a luxury brand vehicle.

There may be some packaging problems with the 2.5T in the Mazda3/CX-5 platform. I know Mazda has said it should fit, but I think that if it were an easy thing to do they would have done it for the new 2017 model. The CX-9 has a longer hood & engine bay than the CX-5.

If they do offer AWD in the new 6, I may have to rethink waiting for the CX-5 diesel.

Me too Red! Although a 2.5t 6 AND a cx5d would be pretty a nice lil stable;)
Idk finch if they can work some Japanese magic and make it not torque steer..my old TL with LSD was a handful at times..2 handfuls actually... color me leery.

Good news! now lets just hope that the following year they offer up that engine in the CX-5. I know the skyactive-x is coming so maybe there is no need but since we haven't seen power number or mpg numbers yet the 2.5T in the CX-5 is top of my wish list for now. If the X engine makes similar power with better mpg's then that's a win for everyone, but it's yet to be seen.
2L X makes around 190hp and 220ftlb, better than the 2.5G but not quite there as that of the 2.5T.

Why can't they just put the 2.5T in the CX5?!? I definitely would have bought this. The Forester XT is a clunky vehicle and I don't love CVTs, but at least it can get out of its own way. The CX5 is already quite nice for the segment in terms of interior and exterior styling. Adding more power would really help steal luxury buyers. I would have bought my wife a BMW or Audi equivalent with more motor if wife wasn't so averse to being seen in a luxury brand vehicle.

Agreed,and my ole lady is the same way.

Awesome. Will make the Mazda 6 one of the top sporty sedan / wagon (hopefully) in it's class to go with its already sleek looks. Mazda like to keep their lineups similar across the models so I am optimistic they will add the 2.5T to the range topping CX-5 model as they will do here with the 6. Here's hoping. They should not be space issues for the 2.5T to sit in with Mazda's renown long bonnet designs, so no excuses :)

Awesome. Will make the Mazda 6 one of the top sporty sedan / wagon (hopefully) in it's class to go with its already sleek looks. Mazda like to keep their lineups similar across the models so I am optimistic they will add the 2.5T to the range topping CX-5 model as they will do here with the 6. Here's hoping. They should not be space issues for the 2.5T to sit in with Mazda's renown long bonnet designs, so no excuses :)

Make it quieter as well. The Accord is a very noisy car and a quiet and refined Mazda 6 could be a Lexus killer.

Make it quieter as well. The Accord is a very noisy car and a quiet and refined Mazda 6 could be a Lexus killer.

Sorry to say this (well, not really), but my recently purchased 2017 Mazda 6 GT with premium and tech is pretty darn quiet.
It's a heckuva lot quieter than my old Altima, I'll tell you that.

Latest posts

Back