CX-9 turbo 4 coming to the 6!

They aren't saying so yet, but I'm willing to bet that the 2.5 Turbo will include AWD. Reason? 310 ft/lbs of torque through the front wheels would result in significant torque steer. That would be contrary to Mazda's philosophy. I'm suspecting as much because the AWD question was asked a couple of time on Facebook and the person(s) from Mazda responding avoided a direct answer, just saying full specs would be revealed at the LA Show on 11/29. No confirmation, but no denial either. They offer AWD on the 6 in other markets so it would be no stretch for them to include it here. If this all comes together like I'm thinking, there's going to be a new 6 in the garage. It would check all the right boxes for me.

While I'd love to have a 6MT to go along the nature of the US market makes that highly unlikely. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

Last edited:
They aren't saying so yet, but I'm willing to bet that the 2.5 Turbo will include AWD. Reason? 310 ft/lbs of torque through the front wheels would result in significant torque steer. That would be contrary to Mazda's philosophy. I'm suspecting as much because the AWD question was asked a couple of time on Facebook and the person(s) from Mazda responding avoided a direct answer, just saying full specs would be revealed at the LA Show on 11/29. No confirmation, but no denial either. They offer AWD on the 6 in other markets so it would be no stretch for them to include it here. If this all comes together like I'm thinking, there's going to be a new 6 in the garage. It would check all the right boxes for me.

While I'd love to have a 6MT to go along the nature of the US market makes that highly unlikely. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.
Not necessarily. The motor can be returned for less torque but more HP, the suspension could also be modified to reduce torque steer like the Civic type R did, and achieving higher fuel economy.

I believe Mazda will have the turbo engine in the higher version, with awd. When the cx9 was available in 2016, the cx9 turbo engine was detailed in the video I'm sharing below and they share this arguments:

0730: they don't believe there is a FWD due to the ammount of torque (actually there is a FWD in the cx9).

15:32: will this fit in the mazda 3 and mazda 6 and the cx5? yes, fits, it's the same architecture,

16:03 there's no way this is gonna go in a mazda 3 or mazda6. it would be an absolute nightmare to drive. It would be horrible. there is too much torque at the bottom end, (and yes, this engine will be present on mazda 6)... maybe with some tweaks?

Last edited:
Since both Honda and Toyota have cars that put out over 250 hp and can do 0-60 in less than 6 sec. Mazda will really have to step up their game just to be equal to a Accord or Camry. That said, as a former Speed6 owner, Id be really interesting in a turbo Mazda6,,,, if it factory specs at least the same as a Accord (0-60 in 5.7 and gets 34 mpg highway.)

http://http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/accord/2018/2018-toyota-camry-xse-v6-vs-2018-honda-accord-touring-20t-comparison-review/

The 6 will be at a significant disadvantage with its 6-speed auto since the Camry has an 8-speed and the Accord a 10-speed. On the other hand the 2018 Sonata gets no advantage out of its 8-speed with a leisurely 0-60 of 6.8 seconds, just a few tenths ahead of our naturally-aspirated 6.

The 6 will be at a significant disadvantage with its 6-speed auto since the Camry has an 8-speed and the Accord a 10-speed. On the other hand the 2018 Sonata gets no advantage out of its 8-speed with a leisurely 0-60 of 6.8 seconds, just a few tenths ahead of our naturally-aspirated 6.

Why would you think that the 6 is at a "significant disadvantage", just because it only has a 6 speed auto?
These 8,9,10 speed automatics are getting silly.
The Chrysler 8 speeds are known for "hunting", and not being able to make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in.
I read a recent review on the 10 speed Accord that said basically the same thing. Too many gears, too much hunting/searching, especially during aggressive driving.
These 8-10 speed tranny's might give you an extra 0.5 mpg, but is it worth it? Might as well buy a CVT.

Why would you think that the 6 is at a "significant disadvantage", just because it only has a 6 speed auto?

Yes that's exactly why. Car and Driver said this when the Durango had its 5-speed replaced with an 8-speed in 2014 but had no other powertrain changes.

The five-speed AWD V-6 Durango we tested in 2011 clocked 0-to-60 mph in 8.2 seconds and covered the quarter-mile in 16.4 at 88 mph. The eight-speed version tested here knocked the 0-to-60 dash down to 7.6 and the quarter to 15.8 at 89, even though it weighed about 100 more pounds (5159 pounds versus 5068), a function of its higher trim level.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-dodge-durango-citadel-awd-v-6-review

Ug, very disappointed. 250/310 for power/torque. Had hoped for better. Very nice interior but will admittedly cost way more than their Honda/Toyota equivalents. Will wait until some magazines do a comparison before I decide wether to get one or not.

Ug, very disappointed. 250/310 for power/torque. Had hoped for better. Very nice interior but will admittedly cost way more than their Honda/Toyota equivalents. Will wait until some magazines do a comparison before I decide wether to get one or not.

Actually the 310 torque value is a lot, you can found this values on high end v6 or even v8 engines. the feeling of power and acceleration on the 1800 - 4500 rpm range is outstanding. You have power just with a touch of your feet. It's amazing.

I had the V6 and have the DP Turbo Cx9 since june 2016 and can tell you this new engine is incredible. Top notch engineering for sure!

I wasn't expecting anymore if you go by what they have done with 2.5L NA when placing it in the 3, 6, CX-5. Has same figures in each of these vehicles.

So current figures from CX-9 are fine in the new 6

Actually the 310 torque value is a lot, you can found this values on high end v6 or even v8 engines. the feeling of power and acceleration on the 1800 - 4500 rpm range is outstanding. You have power just with a touch of your feet. It's amazing.

I had the V6 and have the DP Turbo Cx9 since june 2016 and can tell you this new engine is incredible. Top notch engineering for sure!

My previous '98 BMW 540iA with 4.4L V8 had 310 ft-lb of torque at 5500rpm.
Imagine that torque on a body that weighs 1000lbs less.
A Mazda6 with 2.5T will be snappy....

Very tempted, but my '16 GT is less than 2yr old......

exactly. With my cx9 Turbo 2.5T full of passengers, I hit the gas and this thing goes like skyrocket!.

when I go alone on the cx9 I feel like if I'm driving a sport sedan. I don't imagine this engine in a Mazda6 or cx5.

Mazda japan made a great job with the Dynamic Pressure Turbo, works like a 335 Bmwi Bi-Turbo, with full torque since low rpm. An the amazing fact you can use premium or regular gas and keep the same torque is just incredible.

The new 6 would feel very upscale with that interior and engine figures, the problem is the introduction of the Kia Stinger, although quite ugly in my eyes, it's quite hard to argue with the value, practicality it has to offer, oh yeah and rwd.

Last edited:

Same I have owned my 16 GT since Summer of 2016

It will be available in Signature trim only it seems. So probably 35K USD or so.

Back