CX-9 turbo 4 coming to the 6!

My previous '98 BMW 540iA with 4.4L V8 had 310 ft-lb of torque at 5500rpm.
Imagine that torque on a body that weighs 1000lbs less.
A Mazda6 with 2.5T will be snappy....

Very tempted, but my '16 GT is less than 2yr old......

Take a look again, you've mixed up the numbers for your BMW.

you had the TU (Technical Update) 1998+ version. according to Wikipedia it makes 325ft/lb of torque at 3600RPM, but being a BMW motor 90% of that torque is available from barely 2000RPM - very good design for it's time.

for the sake of conversation, you always avoid the V8 and 4-cylinder BMW's if you are looking for a reliable one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M62

some folks were hoping for a different tune (more HP, less TQ) since its being mated to a FWD only platform on a car weighing a lot less than the CX9.....

Wishful thinking I believe.

My first post on this page pretty much nails what they are doing

The 6 will be at a significant disadvantage with its 6-speed auto since the Camry has an 8-speed and the Accord a 10-speed. On the other hand the 2018 Sonata gets no advantage out of its 8-speed with a leisurely 0-60 of 6.8 seconds, just a few tenths ahead of our naturally-aspirated 6.

the extra cogs will not provide any benefits if the manufacturer can't tune the transmission properly. Mazda's 6 speed is an excellent design and very well tuned, which is why it delivers competitive performance and fuel economy without extra gears.

Yes that's exactly why. Car and Driver said this when the Durango had its 5-speed replaced with an 8-speed in 2014 but had no other powertrain changes.

The five-speed AWD V-6 Durango we tested in 2011 clocked 0-to-60 mph in 8.2 seconds and covered the quarter-mile in 16.4 at 88 mph. The eight-speed version tested here knocked the 0-to-60 dash down to 7.6 and the quarter to 15.8 at 89, even though it weighed about 100 more pounds (5159 pounds versus 5068), a function of its higher trim level.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-dodge-durango-citadel-awd-v-6-review

again it's all about how the transmission is tuned. the exact same ZF 8 speed used in Chrysler's is also found in BMW's, but in BMW tune of course and it is the most brilliant transmission I have ever come across. never hunts for gears, this transmission is always two steps ahead of the driver. I am looking at the tachometer thinking hmm... I think this transmission needs to downshift right about now... and it does. very, very well tuned transmission. I remember going into a salt covered corner rather quickly on throttle which caused the rear tires to slip. I had to quickly let go of the throttle to correct the angle. in the meantime the transmission upshifted and obediently waited at 3000RPM knowing I am going to get back onto the throttle after correcting my angle. I cannot say enough good things about BMW's ZF.

some folks were hoping for a different tune (more HP, less TQ) since its being mated to a FWD only platform on a car weighing a lot less than the CX9.....

more HP and less torque would have made more sense, but since Mazda stuck with the identical figures as the CX-9 it makes me confident that they will have the power delivery and torque-steer sorted out.

Take a look again, you've mixed up the numbers for your BMW.

you had the TU (Technical Update) 1998+ version. according to Wikipedia it makes 325ft/lb of torque at 3600RPM, but being a BMW motor 90% of that torque is available from barely 2000RPM - very good design for it's time.

for the sake of conversation, you always avoid the V8 and 4-cylinder BMW's if you are looking for a reliable one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M62

GJ,
I mixed up the hp/rpm vs. maxTorque/rpm.
'98 540iA has 282bhp(280hp)/5700rpm, 310ft-lb/3900rpm.
Later models (99+) had higher torque (320ft-lb/3600rpm) - source. Wiki.

My point remains, nonetheless.
a = F/M. Same F, smaller M, bigger a.
Torque = force (F)

So true.... I had tons of issues with it..

Last edited:
Back