CX-9 turbo 4 coming to the 6!

Wow, that's awesome! Just the update the 6 needs. There's a 360 degree camera too, which will most likely be equipped in 2019 cx9. Too bad I just bought the 2018 model.

This will be for the new 6 next year, not the current gen.

Certainly the news we've been waiting for. I've heard so many people say they would buy a Mazda6 if it had the CX-9's turbo, or at least a version of it. Not sure though how many more sales this will mean. Very small percentage of Camry and Accord (and competitors) sales have been V6's.

I still expect a different tuning of the engine for the 6. The torque/HP combo was specifically designed for a heavy crossover.

Last edited:
Damn I wish I were in the market for a new sedan. It will be really difficult to screw up a turbo 2.5 mazda6.

OOOH wait wait, I got a way.. only offer the 2.5t on a super deluxe $$$ model with an automatic. No sport trim, no manual transmission.

But yeah if they go any other way, awesome sauce.

If the Mazda 6 will remain FWD in turbocharged form, then I suspect Mazda will have to to dial down torque particularly in the lower gears to cut wheelspin and then up HP from the CX-9’s figures.

If the Mazda 6 will remain FWD in turbocharged form, then I suspect Mazda will have to to dial down torque particularly in the lower gears to cut wheelspin and then up HP from the CX-9s figures.

Mazda stated that the motor "makes the same amount of torque as a 4.0 liter V8". That puts it in the 300 ft-lb range, which is about what the CX-9 makes. So, I suspect they are still tuning for torque.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the same ratings in the 6 as the CX-9. The new accord is 252/273 and the new camry is 301/267, so 250/310 would be in keeping with the competition.

Mazda stated that the motor "makes the same amount of torque as a 4.0 liter V8". That puts it in the 300 ft-lb range, which is about what the CX-9 makes. So, I suspect they are still tuning for torque.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the same ratings in the 6 as the CX-9. The new accord is 252/273 and the new camry is 301/267, so 250/310 would be in keeping with the competition.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the new Camry V6 produced over 300 HP. A Camry! Not sure why they tuned the engine output even higher than the much heavier Highlander. And to 2 wheels vs 4.

If the Mazda 6 will remain FWD in turbocharged form, then I suspect Mazda will have to to dial down torque particularly in the lower gears to cut wheelspin and then up HP from the CX-9’s figures.

Are FWD CX-9s rated at lower torque?

Last edited:
A Mazda 6 with that engine will be super fun to drive....offer a stick and we'll have some "Transporter" fun :)

Back