Changing out a clutch...How long does it take?

BudgieStew

:
2006 Mazda5 GT
Trying to get an idea of how long it takes to change out a clutch on a 2007 Mazda5 Sport 5sp manual transmission.
I won't bore anyone with all the details of my owning a 2006 Mazda5 GT and 2007 Mazda5 Sport, because I could write a novel about them.

But after 6 months of letting the 2007 sit I've decided to get the clutch changed in my 5 that was "gifted" to me by the garage after I decided to do a little off roading into a forest with my 2006.

2007 came with a sliding clutch..lucky me.😡

Long story short I wasn't in a financial place or mental place at the time to deal with changing out the clutch so drove it until it burnt. 👍🏻

I'm lucky my stupidity and stubborness didn't cause me to blow my engine..the RPM's would hit the red zone trying to leave a parking lot in 1st the last week it ran.🤦

I'll be honest I hate both the Mazda5's I've own/ed so much that I decided to be carless for the past 5 months with plans to pay it off until I own it outright and can send it to the scrap yard.

But winter is coming and it's Canada, and I have kids.
And I hate walking and I'm 40 years old and having to rely on others for rides like I'm a teenager is a bit of an ego crusher.

So I sucked it up and made the decision to repair it but trying to do this as economical as possible, so buying the clutch kit online rather then a local parts store, and using an auto mechanic that will work out of his home.

But I need an idea of how much labour will cost based on how many hours of work this involves.

Haven't found a great price on a flywheel yet.
And I know chances are slim that I will be able to resurface mine.
So if anyone can link me to a place that has Mazda5 flywheels at a great price I'd appreciate it.

They are all about the same in jap cars.
Expect about an 8 hours labour charge with the flywheel job.
So shade tree mechanic rate about $65*8 = $520 + parts.
Flywheel on amazon about $220 USD, you should have changed the clutch before damaging the wheel as it is more expensive then the clutch, false economy.
So you are probably looking into 1G before you done with parts and labour.
Do not cheap out on parts too much as shops will NOT warranty YOUR parts OR labour if you provide your stuff.
So if any parts fail due to your cheapness, you will be out another G in repairs, so shop for best price on good brands, not the lowest price for a part.

Last edited:
Took me about 4 hours in the driveway with no lift and no lights in the middle of the night, with two engine mounts dead (thought it was only one) so I ended up supporting the entire engine on one elbow while replacing the clutch one-handed through a 3 inch gap. Fun.

I bought an Exedy OEM replacement clutch off Amazon for $150. Flywheels seemed to be right around the $200 range or just under, but I didn't buy a new one. Exedy ended up with lighter pressure plate action than whatever was in there already (factory I assume, bought the car at 51k miles), but definitely equal or better grip than OEM. If you're having trouble finding a Mazda 5 flywheel, look for Mazda 3. Same engine/transmission as the 5.

But yes, probably an 8 hour job according to the book.

Thanks so much for all the replies.

And if I had been able to change the clutch before it went I would have in a heartbeat but I really wasn't in a situation to be able to do it at the time.

And I understand that investing in a quality product($$$$$)would be ideal for a vehicle I plan on keeping, but as soon as I'm done the payments I'm letting it die.

I'm going to do general upkeep but the first major repair or safety issue and it's going to the scrap yard.

It's an almost 11 year old van..with multiple issues, putting top of the line expensive parts in it is just throwing good money after bad.

The concept of the Mazda5 is brilliant, unfortunately the common chronic issues have soured me off of ever owning another Mazda again.

I'll be extremely happy to have it working again, but I only did it because I still have payments on it.

As well my driving habits have changed considerably since the clutch blew.
I went from living back country on horrible hilly dirt roads 30 minutes from town/work to living a 4 minute drive to work and almost everything is within walking distance.
The everyday wear and tear on my van will be reduced to almost nothing.
I estimate a tank of gas will most likely last three weeks now. 👍🏻

It gives me a much better idea of how much I need to budget for labour..

A tad OT:
Set aside that most 11yr old cars that get beaten up&down "horrible hilly dirt roads" daily will develop a hunger for maintenance and repairs.

I fail to grasp the mentality here.
Given the labor cost for a clutch job, it would be ill advised to save money on a clutch and flywheel by getting them from not so reputable 3rd party manuf.
11yr old car that has payments on it. You wan to let it die asap once you are free of car payments. Next step is to run to J.D.Byrider for another beater with 12month warranty and payments?

Back