Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Radar cruise control intermittently disabled below 20mph

Registered Member

was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M

That's the exact description of how it should work from reading the manual today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaisu View Post
    I have had my 2017 CX-5 GT for about 2 weeks now and this error showed up a few days ago. Before this error started I could set cruise control as long as i'm going above 20mph, and as long as I would do that MRCC would go all the way down to 0 mph. When it came to a complete stop it would autohold by itself even if you don't have autohold switched on. When the car in front of you begins moving again you lightly tap the accelerator and the MRCC will resume.

I had been using MRCC like this with no issues in stop and go bay area traffic with speeds ranging from 0-35 mph. It worked great for me at the time. Now I get the same error message as the OP and when I initiate MRCC (above 20mph) and my speed drops below 20mph the car beeps at me and flashes the error message on the HUD as well as info gauge.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    That's the exact description of how it should work from reading the manual today.
    Ours is slightly different, it will move off by itself without driver intervention

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    I only use the cruise on wide open freeways. It seems as of late younger drivers use it all the time.

I don't understand people using their cruise control in stop and go traffic and thinking they've got an autonomous vehicle.
    This isn't a self driving car. It's not Tesla folks.
    Cruise control is just that: cruise control. It's not a substitute for driving in city traffic.
    (yes I know, I'm preaching.)

I only use cc (mine's regular not adaptive) at freeway/highway/motorway and would do the same when I get adaptive cc

Registered Member

2004 Honda Accord EX

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    I don't understand people using their cruise control in stop and go traffic and thinking they've got an autonomous vehicle.
    Cruise control is just that: cruise control. It's not a substitute for driving in city traffic.

You're right, it's not a substitute for driving in city traffic. Maybe when I said bay area traffic you thought I meant city streets. I meant bay area highway traffic. Sometimes it can take 1.5 hours to get out of SF and across the Bay Bridge. MRCC helps me maintain a good distance from cars in front when I might otherwise let myself get a bit too close.

Also, I don't believe anyone here is expecting their CX-5 to be autonomous or act like a Tesla. We're just interested in using the MRCC (btw it's not just cruise control, the radar and camera take it beyond the traditional cruise control you're referring to.)

Don't worry, my eyes are still on the road, hands on the wheel, and foot at the pedals.
    Last edited by Chaisu; 11-21-2017 at 06:56 PM.

2016 CX-5AWD GT+Tech/ 2018 CX-9AWD GT

Yep, this is how the MRCC behaves in my car as well, and from what I've read this is the correct behavior.
    I have had my 2017 CX-5 GT for about 2 weeks now and this error showed up a few days ago. Before this error started I could set cruise control as long as I'm going above 20mph, and as long as I would do that MRCC would go all the way down to 0 mph. When it came to a complete stop it would autohold by itself even if you don't have autohold switched on. When the car in front of you begins moving again you lightly tap the accelerator and the MRCC will resume.

This sounds like there is a problem with your MRCC...at least according to the manual and videos depicting how the system is supposed to work. I'd report it to Mazda as they may have a software glitch that needs fixing.
    ...Now I get the same error message as the OP and when I initiate MRCC (above 20mph) and my speed drops below 20mph the car beeps at me and flashes the error message on the HUD as well as info gauge.
    As far as how/when the system is used. Well, I use it on the freeway or highway (basically any mostly straight, typically fast-moving stretch of road). As all of us Californians have come to realize, that highway can turn into a parking lot very quickly. And in that scenario, the MRCC can come in very handy.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mocx-5 View Post
    I've gotten the error with auto-hold enabled and disabled, but I'm pretty sure that setting is independent of the stop and go cruise functioning. I'm using it on my highway commute, which is typically ~50-70mph but can be stop and go some days. The message will show right away when I enable the cruise control but sometimes it doesn't show up at all. At first I thought it was an obstruction of the camera (which runs the cruise under 20mph), but there's actually a distinct message for that, which tells you to clean/defog your windshield.
    Did you ever hear back? I'm getting the same error with mine. Happens as soon as I start the car. If I turn if off and on again, the error sometimes goes away. Dealer isn't all that convenient to drop off at right now so I'm curious if anyone here knows of a solution. No idea why people feel like this error with the car is the right time to preach about when people should/shouldn't use cruise is, though.

It's not preaching, people are just advising when it should actually be used as per Mazda's advice

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    It's not preaching, people are just advising when it should actually be used as per Mazda's advice
    as per Mazda's lawyers' advice!

(lol)

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Premium

I've had it happen twice, and on both occasions it was raining.

Quote Originally Posted by rborroto View Post
    I've had it happen twice, and on both occasions it was raining.
    Undocumented safety feature

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

If it were advertised and worked well for the purpose, why wouldn't people use it that way? Are you saying that functionality wouldn't be something good, or just that people are confused and misguided if they think that that level of functionality is promised and ready?

If it was advertised and worked well then no issues with using it.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Here's what's wrong with that statement:

If someone uses their cruise control in stop and go traffic, it does NOT imply that they think they've got an autonomous vehicle.

No one thinks it's a Tesla.

They are not "substituting" cruise control for "driving".

It's a useful tool, if it used properly. If you can't figure out a good way to use it, don't use it. But realize that some can.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast