Thoughts of a 2018MY owner in UK after first month

Seenthelight

:
Mazda CX 5 Sport Nav 2.0 petrol 2018
Hi all,
First new post from me on here so please go gently!
Leased a new Sport Nav (top spec in UK) for my wife which we have owned for a month now, first Mazda for us after 3 years in a Nissan.
Only petrol option in UK is the 2.0 front wheel drive manual and had heard most reviews saying it is not powerful enough but my wife does mostly local short journeys and only 7-8k miles/year so we decided a diesel may not be best option either.
Picked it up and next day drove 200miles North with 4 in the car and boot full to brim. Taking it easy as everything very tight. We were in a (relatively) hilly part of UK by then (Derbyshire) and combination of long hills, 4 people and new engine meant it did not exactly race away but what did amaze me was when pulling away how much low down grunt it had when pulling away - previous Nissan was 190hp turbo petrol and that would stall easily with that weight up hill when pulling away. Motorway cruising once up to speed was good in the new car but do note there is noise from the tyres.
Car is really comfortable and we both love the tech - I have a 2014 VW Touareg and the mazda makes the tech in the VW appear prehistoric.
We had a few options fitted such as mud flaps (not enough material to flap much though!), all-weather mats, led interior upgrade, rear bumper step, carpet boot mat and these are great quality items.
I have fitted a Nextbase dash-cam (and guide to removing A-pillar trim really useful on here).
I had not driven it much more until last night and car now done 1700 miles and feels to me the engine has loosened up and, while not lively, back in the flat-lands of Eastern UK is adequate and maybe we have just got used to it now after the perky performance of the previous Nissan. This car seems well suited to towns which is where it will spend most of its time.
Overall it is its comfort and ease of driving which impresses us most - your 2.5litre engine and auto-box must make it even better! I can see there are some small difference between the UK and US models though some of which do seem peculiar.
This is a great forum and more active than the UK forum.

Hi all,
First new post from me on here so please go gently!
Leased a new Sport Nav (top spec in UK) for my wife which we have owned for a month now, first Mazda for us after 3 years in a Nissan.
Only petrol option in UK is the 2.0 front wheel drive manual and had heard most reviews saying it is not powerful enough but my wife does mostly local short journeys and only 7-8k miles/year so we decided a diesel may not be best option either.
Picked it up and next day drove 200miles North with 4 in the car and boot full to brim. Taking it easy as everything very tight. We were in a (relatively) hilly part of UK by then (Derbyshire) and combination of long hills, 4 people and new engine meant it did not exactly race away but what did amaze me was when pulling away how much low down grunt it had when pulling away - previous Nissan was 190hp turbo petrol and that would stall easily with that weight up hill when pulling away. Motorway cruising once up to speed was good in the new car but do note there is noise from the tyres.
Car is really comfortable and we both love the tech - I have a 2014 VW Touareg and the mazda makes the tech in the VW appear prehistoric.
We had a few options fitted such as mud flaps (not enough material to flap much though!), all-weather mats, led interior upgrade, rear bumper step, carpet boot mat and these are great quality items.
I have fitted a Nextbase dash-cam (and guide to removing A-pillar trim really useful on here).
I had not driven it much more until last night and car now done 1700 miles and feels to me the engine has loosened up and, while not lively, back in the flat-lands of Eastern UK is adequate and maybe we have just got used to it now after the perky performance of the previous Nissan. This car seems well suited to towns which is where it will spend most of its time.
Overall it is its comfort and ease of driving which impresses us most - your 2.5litre engine and auto-box must make it even better! I can see there are some small difference between the UK and US models though some of which do seem peculiar.

Congrats on the new ride... What color is it???

Having owned both the 2.0 and 2.5 versions in the first gen CX-5, I can attest to the differences. The 2.0 is a great motor, and actually hits its peak power numbers at a higher RPM then the 2.5 does. The 2.0 is also a little freer revving, and the MPG is so nice. The torque at takeoff is good, but also do not be afraid to rev it out, it was born to rev.(rockon)

Thx for the confidence re the engine mazdadude, as I say we feel it is getting freer and faster. I lied awake for a few nights just before we got it having read more and more negative reviews of this petrol engine (but with no other petrol choice and a diesel in our situation possibly not best option) but i feel better now and your post helps that good feeling.
It is a solid white car - it is our 2nd car and does have to be left in car parks from time to time and my view is a solid colour is easier to repair if necessary than a metallic. Also that was the colour my wife preferred, previous Nissan - a Juke (not sure if they are Juke’s in US?) was also solid white and both cars look great with the black wheels and trim. Also of course less costly to lease with the solid paint.
If it was my only car it would be in silver/dark grey metallic with a diesel auto engine/box i think.
I can see you know your way round Mazda’s judging by those you have owned.

Hi all,

The fella that runs the UK forum is a power crazed idiot. I’ve never seen so many sections and sub sections and if you post something and turn your back its been moved. This forum is far more relaxed and easy to deal with.

We have a 2.0 lit petrol AWD automatic CX-5 2017 and believe me it pulls as well if not better than the BMW E 91 320i that it replaced. Both have a non turbo 2 lit petrol engine, Mazda being 160HP and BMW 176HP on paper. My speed conscious young son (likes driving fast) is convinced that the Mazda has a better acceleration than the 320i that we had before. Mazda is even more economical to run. On mixed driving it returns 7.6 lit/100km compared to BMW 8.2 lit/100KM. The funny thing is that BMW was a 6speed manual and should have been more economical, but it was not. So I think that this 2lit Mazda engine is under appreciated. I can understand that being fully loaded and going uphill can reveal the weakness of this engine but, how often are we fully loaded and going up hill? By the way having an automatic with kick down facility, never had a problem overtaking in the highway.

Last edited:
We have a 2.0 lit petrol AWD automatic CX-5 2017 and believe me it pulls as well if not better than the BMW E 91 320i that it replaced. Both have a non turbo 2 lit petrol engine, Mazda being 160HP and BMW 176HP on paper. My speed conscious young son (likes driving fast) is convinced that the Mazda has a better acceleration than the 320i that we had before. Mazda is even more economical to run. On mixed driving it returns 7.6 lit/100km compared to BMW 8.2 lit/100KM. The funny thing is that BMW was a 6speed manual and should have been more economical, but it was not. So I think that this 2lit Mazda engine is under appreciated. I can understand that being fully loaded and going uphill can reveal the weakness of this engine but, how often are we fully loaded and going up hill? By the way having an automatic with kick down facility, never had a problem overtaking in the highway.

I feel the 2.5 L's insufficiency in USA more easily.
Me + wife + kid +car seat + 50 lbs of cargo. On flat ground doing 80 mpg / 130 kmh, slam the peddle and the needle is static. Slowly after a cake is baked it will hit 85 mph. But various cultures drive at various speeds for various reasons. Believe FWD has more of a problem than AWD on freeway speeds.

Great reassurance thank you. If auto had been available we would have had it but only FWD manual here. Glad you liking the engine though.

Back