Which manual transmission oil for 2013 Mazda5 6MT?

JM_MZ5

:
2013 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Hi group,

I have a 2013 5 GT, with the 6 speed manual. I've had it about 4 months and it's got about 64k km on it. I'm sometimes getting a little crunching shifting from first to second gear, moreso when it's cold in the morning, which it has been lately. Other times it drops into gear really slickly. Most of the time the other gears are pretty smooth as well.

I did some reading in different forums and read a lot of good things about the Redline MT90, but then started seeing reports of Ford's oil working even better. I picked up three quarts of the Ford oil, but haven't put it in yet -- and I saw a few threads yesterday where owners of newer MZ3's found no improvement with the Ford oil, and some found it to work less well than the stock oil. From what I can tell the 2012-2013 MZ5 transmission is not the same as was used in the same era 3 though, so that may not be the case for us 5 owners.

Has anyone used either of these, or some other oil and had good results? I'd can return the Ford stuff for another week, so I'd rather do that first and try something else than blow about $80 on it for nothing and end up wanting to put something else in there.

Also, what does Mazda call for as a transmission oil in this transmission? The manual doesn't mention replacing it at all, and I haven't had any luck finding out online.

I used Mobil1 in the stock weights, had no issues- but had no crunching before either- and I'm in Texas vs your QC. I saw your post in the other fluid thread. Redline is good stuff. Give it a try.

I have no experience with the 6sp but note that all user feedback is anecdotal but the Ford Motorcraft fluid is some fantastic stuff in the 5sp :D

You have to make a judgement call if any random internet experience is worth noting. Really, either fluid should serve you well. That said, check BITOG for your ultimate answer (diving into chemical properties).

Another random pointer, skip the siphon pump. Take out the battery air intake and just run a hose (foot and a half-ish) w/ funnel straight down to the fill hole. Super easy, super fast.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided I'll try the Ford stuff, othwerwise I'll never know for sure how well it works! If I don't like it I'll try some of the Redline instead. Thanks for the tip Silentnoise713 on the refill, I wondered if that approach might work. I have one of those funnels with the valve and hose attached so I'm hoping it will reach the fill hole from above.

When I get a chance to do the change I'll report back with the results!

Thanks for the input guys. I decided I'll try the Ford stuff, othwerwise I'll never know for sure how well it works! If I don't like it I'll try some of the Redline instead. Thanks for the tip Silentnoise713 on the refill, I wondered if that approach might work. I have one of those funnels with the valve and hose attached so I'm hoping it will reach the fill hole from above.

When I get a chance to do the change I'll report back with the results!

Update: I finally did the fluid change. Wasn't too bad a job once I got the splash guard out of the way. With the air intake removed it was no problem to get to the fill hole. The old fluid seemed to be low, it felt like about an inch below the bottom of the fill hole to me. The drained fluid filled about 2.5 quarts or so. WIth all three new bottles in there it was just slightly below the fill hole which I figured was good enough.

As for the feel with the new stuff, it unfortunately doesn't seem much better. When cold it's actually a bit hard to get into first gear at times, but once warmed up it's more or less as it was before, maybe a little more likely to crunch into second. So, not quite the result I'd hoped for. I've driven about 60km with it so far though, so maybe it's early. I'll leave it in a while and see what happens -- and maybe try some Redline if it doesn't improve.

I suppose there may be also be something else wrong, maybe the clutch is not releasing fully for example.

do you shift aggressively, particularly at high RPM into second gear? what you are explaining sounds like a worn synchro from aggressive shifting. just be easy with your shifts.

oh, and use redline oil. if you're going to use some OEM or ford crap, may as well just wait until you actually need new fluid.

oh, and use redline oil. if you're going to use some OEM or ford crap, may as well just wait until you actually need new fluid.

Well actually the Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid (XT-M5-QS) is definitely not crap and is preferred over RL MT-90 by many MS3 owners.

Last edited:
Well actually the Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid (XT-M5-QS) is definitely not crap and is preferred over RL MT-90 by many MS3 owners.

if you say so.

I would put a quart of synchromesh fluid in there too.

do you shift aggressively, particularly at high RPM into second gear? what you are explaining sounds like a worn synchro from aggressive shifting. just be easy with your shifts.

Actually, shifting aggressively (i.e., quickly), and at higher RPM, seems to make it smoother most of the time. If I shift early and I take my time changing gears, it's more likely to be a bit crunchy.

Actually, shifting aggressively (i.e., quickly), and at higher RPM, seems to make it smoother most of the time. If I shift early and I take my time changing gears, it's more likely to be a bit crunchy.

I don't know what you're doing, but all I can tell you is that you're not shifting smoothly or carefully enough into second gear if your second gear grinds - that's not normal for only 64K. your transmission fluid is barely even going to be dirty.

I got a 1995 Maxima 5 speed right now, and none of the gears grind. it has 345K KM on the clock.

Hi group,

I have a 2013 5 GT, with the 6 speed manual. I've had it about 4 months and it's got about 64k km on it.
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the previous owner...

What RPM do you shift 1->2?
Does it shift better if you double clutch?
Does it shift better if you rev match into 2nd?
Any issues going 1->3?

Back