Rust on License Plate Screws - 2017 CX-5

wushane

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hello. I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

Just recently picked up a brand new CX-5. I was surprised to discover that the licence plate screw configuration is metal-on-metal (most of my other newer vehicles have used a plastic flange, etc.). I was a bit concerned about the possibility of rust developing, so I went and bought nylon screws. When I went to change the screws out, I noticed that the metal screws that came with the CX-5 already had a small amount of orange (rust) on them.
I'm concerned that this will only get worse, even with the nylon screws. My questions are:

1. Should I be concerned / bring this up with Mazda?
2. Is there a way to remove the rust and ensure it doesn't return?

Thanks in advance.

Pics would be very helpful. As far as i know the rear number plate was dealer installed. It had metal screws. I will see in morning if there is any rust.

you can try some rust transformer spray on the rusty spots and/or add a spray tube to get the spray into the hole and just "wing it" to get other possible rusty areas.

on my rear screws, I too was concerned about corrosion/rust on the rear plate, so, when the plates came in, I add clear silicone sealant to the rear plate screws to help put a small barrier between the plate screws and the tailgate holes.

Another approach would be teflon tape around the screw before inserting it into the tailgate holes to minimize dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion...and do as the above post stated, go buy stainless steel screws to hold the plate in place.

it is odd that Mazda did not put a nylon block in place where the plate mounting screws go.

you can try some rust transformer spray on the rusty spots and/or add a spray tube to get the spray into the hole and just "wing it" to get other possible rusty areas.

on my rear screws, I too was concerned about corrosion/rust on the rear plate, so, when the plates came in, I add clear silicone sealant to the rear plate screws to help put a small barrier between the plate screws and the tailgate holes.

Another approach would be teflon tape around the screw before inserting it into the tailgate holes to minimize dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion...and do as the above post stated, go buy stainless steel screws to hold the plate in place.

it is odd that Mazda did not put a nylon block in place where the plate mounting screws go.

Thanks for that response. I thought about teflon tape, but sadly, after the fact. I guess my concern at this point is that now that rust has "started" it will continue to spread. Any ideas on preventative measures at this point?

Yep, mine were rusted only after two months. I got some stainless steel screws.

Warning, the fronts are different from the rears. Use a little grease when you put them in. They will last longer.

Back