Radar Cruise Control - 2016-17 vs. 2018

:
2018 Madza CX-9 GT
Im a current owner of a 2014 CX-9 Grand Touring whos just tried a test drive on a 2018 Signature, and probably fallen in love! Ive always wanted Adaptive Cruise Control and had a brief chance to try it out. (I guess you call it MRCC?).

Im trying to decide if I should buy a used 2016-17 CX-9, or a brand new 2018. Id appreciate any help you can give me on your experience or understanding.

I guess there is a difference between the 2016-17 MRCC and the 2018 (which is said to be Stop and Go).

Can someone describe (in detail) how each behaves and what is the difference?

i own a 2016 CX-9 GT AWD. i use the adaptive cruise control a lot but only on highways. i have never let it go down to 20 mph before deactivating with hitting the brakes. it works fine....sometimes a stray car leaves his lane and my radar picks it up with an emergency "BRAKE" alert, but this is quite rare. i really like it and it has revolutionized how i drive on long roadtrips. having said that, my wife refuses to use (she does not trust tech) and it's really her car mostly. so to each their own and YMMV.

I have a 2018 and the MRCC is pretty darn impressive. The first time I let it fully do its thing, it scared the crap outta me. I'm not used to letting a car accelerate/brake/stop for me, but despite keeping my foot hovering above the brake pedal, everything went fine. So yeah, the system will maintain a distance to following vehicles (that's adjustable), if that vehicle comes to a stop, it will do the same, and go again afterwards. I've used it in heavy traffic twice now. The only thing I'd say is that it isn't as smooth as a human can be (the braking can be pretty abrupt, although the accelerations are pretty smooth). I like it, saves quite a bit of mental energy IF you are willing to trust it. I'm still learning to trust in the machine myself, so my foot is always right above the brake pedal.

I have a 2018 and the MRCC is pretty darn impressive. The first time I let it fully do its thing, it scared the crap outta me. I'm not used to letting a car accelerate/brake/stop for me, but despite keeping my foot hovering above the brake pedal, everything went fine. So yeah, the system will maintain a distance to following vehicles (that's adjustable), if that vehicle comes to a stop, it will do the same, and go again afterwards. I've used it in heavy traffic twice now. The only thing I'd say is that it isn't as smooth as a human can be (the braking can be pretty abrupt, although the accelerations are pretty smooth). I like it, saves quite a bit of mental energy IF you are willing to trust it. I'm still learning to trust in the machine myself, so my foot is always right above the brake pedal.

Are you saying it comes to a complete stop - sits there holding its position - (for how long?) - and then starts moving again as the vehicle in front of it starts moving?

(OR) do you have to touch the gas pedal to get it moving again? Or what?

Are you saying it comes to a complete stop - sits there holding its position - (for how long?) - and then starts moving again as the vehicle in front of it starts moving?

(OR) do you have to touch the gas pedal to get it moving again? Or what?
It'll hold until the car in front of you starts moving again. The video thinkhd posted explains the system operation well.

Adaptive cruise

dam i want this :(.. should have been part of the 2017 model!

I have the 2018 CT and the adaptive cruise was a big factor in picking the 2018 over 2017 and maybe stupid the heated steering wheel. I live in WI .

Adaptive works very well and for me it was worth the extra$$ VS 2017.

msrp of 17 and 18 is the same? you mean the discount of 17 vs 18?

in Canada we got heated steering wheel as part of the car in 16-17.

I have the 2018 CT and the adaptive cruise was a big factor in picking the 2018 over 2017 and maybe stupid the heated steering wheel. I live in WI .

Adaptive works very well and for me it was worth the extra$$ VS 2017.

I second this as well. I drive a lot of highway/ urban and there is always stalled traffic. It would have been good to get an upgrade Stop and Go to existing cars with MRCC because it does make a huge difference. I don't think there is a hardware difference between the two that I can think of.

Also, the front parking sensors are worth it but not the heated steering wheel and rear seats IMO.

the other 2 features well worth the wait for the 2018 model are, IMO, G-Vectoring control and traffic sign recognition.

cheers,
thd

Back