Mazda CX-5 vs Subaru Crosstrek XV

From the archives..slowness and its impacts depends on your environment i guess..in mine I found the 2l with awd/auto borderline dangerous and you really had to rev the piss out of it for anything to happen..unlike the 2.5 which has great low end..for an na4..almost 25% more tq, peaking 750rpm sooner makes a pretty yuge difference in everyday driving.

MikeM did and likely would still argue but consumers voted otherwise- sales took off and the 2l was dropped..good riddance. Fine in 3/cx3, buzzy and felt overworked in cx5. I mean how many 2l owners you see/know?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-manual-test-review

the bolded text is a great way of putting it.

I will also say that the more usable torque has little to no impact on fuel efficiency - maybe a small difference if you drive very conservatively, but you just wont have effortless torque on tap so readily. I found the 2L to be completely gutless in the significantly smaller/lighter Mazda 3, let alone the CX-5 so that's a no thanks for me.

plus, there is a 1MPG difference between the two engines and out in the real world, particularly when you need to pass someone the 2.5L will get excellent fuel economy. The 2L is really not that efficient when you are trying to get somewhere.

The trick with 2L is no AWD and Manual tranny. The weight reduction and less power loss from AWD make a huge difference. This is another reason I did not want a Subaru. My prior Subaru was a money pit! New CV joints (8 due to AWD) was almost $3k. On 2 separate occasions I had non-repairable flats, so I had to replace all 4 tires or risk destroying the AWD system. My half shafts were rusting out and needed to be replaced and I finally just ditched it before putting another 2k into it.
I live in Utah and spend a lot of time in the mtns, and have had to help push numerous AWD vehicles out of snow banks, push them back on to the wheels after flipping on ice, re-attached bumpers pulled off in snow... Just 3 weeks ago, I was coming down Millcreek canyon in my friends Subaru, we hit ice and slide off the road, so did the RWD van behind us and 2 other Subaru's. A Jeep with chains helped pull us out. Given that AWD is really not a solution to many traction problems, I don't feel it is worth the extra cost, mechanical complexity, decreased MPG and decreased HP. I'll take a gnarly set of snow tires any day over AWD. And if it's really bad, I'll throw on chains. Or better yet, I will know my limits and not endanger myself or others by being overconfident in an AWD system.
Anyway, that is why I chose my FWD cx5 over another Subaru. If the forester was available in FWD, I might think about it.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2144166/awd-doesnt-matter-winter-tires-do

Last edited:
I also narrowed my choices to CX-5 and Crosstrek; though the Juke is what I wanted,it has no tow rating. I picked the CX-5 because of it's mileage and tow rating and I found a 1-y.o. CX-5 GT for a nice price. I could not find a 1 or 2 y.o. Crosstrek. The tow rating for the Crosstrek is too low and it is slow for a very small improvement in fuel mileage.

New GS owner checking in. The two things that the crosstrek has over the the CX5 are apple carplay and stop and go adaptive cruise control on their premium trim. Although, other then that the ride and build quality is significantly better on the CX5. I'll miss the adaptive cruise control on the crosstrek, but the pros outweigh the cons for CX5 vs a Crosstrek.

Uh..
The CX-5 GT with Premium Package has Stop n Go Cruise.

Yes it does , at what cost difference though compared to a Crosstek Premium with Eyesight?
As we've already said, at least 5 times in this thread, the Crosstrek is not in the same class as the CX-5. The Crosstrek competes with the CX-3. So comparing pricing isn't remotely fair. I was reminded of this driving next to a brand new one today with temp tags....it's MucH smaller then the 5.

Last edited:
As we've already said, at least 5 times in this thread, the Crosstrek is not in the same class as the CX-5. The Crosstrek competes with the CX-3. So comparing pricing isn't remotely fair. I was reminded of this driving next to a brand new one today with temp tags....it's MucH smaller then the 5.

Shessh, touchy aren't we?

Um, no. Not sure what in that post makes you think I'm upset. Stating facts man. Just stating facts. This is how we discuss stuff on the internet. If you're looking for the cheapest SUV. Crosstrek, CX-3 and HR-V should be in your list. Not CX-5.
CX-3 has Radar Cruise btw.

Last edited:
The subcompact SUV segment has split into two different size ranges, small (CX-3, Juke, CH-R, Fiat 500x), and large (Crosstrek, HR-V, Soul, Renegade). Given that the Crosstrek is on the large end of the subcompact segment and the CX-5 is on the small end of the compact segment, it's not surprising that some people would cross-shop them.

Comparison: CX-3 / Crosstrek / CX-5
Wheelbase (in) 101.2 / 103.7 / 106.3
Length (in) 168.3 / 175.2 / 179.1
Width (in) 69.6 / 70.1 / 72.5
Height (in) 60.9 / 63.6 / 65.3
Cargo space, rear seat up (cf) 12.4 / 22.3 / 30.9
Cargo space, rear seat down (cf) 44.5 / 51.9 / 59.6
Passenger volume (cf) 87.6 / 100.9 / 103.6
Combined legroom (in) 76.7 / 79.6 / 80.6

^^I did..CVT+lack of power led me to the CX-5 post 2.5's appearance, wasn't interested previous to that..probably would have gone for Forester XT or (and I'm glad I didn't- saved a load of $ and headaches I'm sure) GLK250D..didn't really love the car but oh that motor..that sweetheart of a motor..31.9 (awd only mind you) fuelly avg over 900k miles for '14 MY..not a drag racer by any means but that thing did not want for power just seemingly endless torque for days..gears were almost irrelevant.

Last edited:
I do have a co-worker who did exactly opposite what I did. I drove a 17 Crosstrek and immediately crossed it off my list. It was too slow.
Drove a Mazda and bought it. She drove a CX-5, didn't like it, then a Crosstrek. She bought the Subaru.
Different strokes.
She still loves hers. I still love mine.

Right I think the point was while technically they're in different segments I'd wager majority of ppl who buy one of these at least somewhat considers the other..Crosstrek imo makes CX-3 look toyish as does almost anything I'd consider..that being said I agree that the CX-5 is on a different level.

Back