Looking to pick up a Gen 2 or Gen 3-a couple questions.

oxinyourbox

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 Sport
Hi all,

3 year 2013 Mazda CX-9 owner/lurker here (wife's) and I'm looking to downsize my from my Taurus SHO to a Mazda 3 hatchback (wife is a stay at home mom now so doing what's best for us). I picked up the SHO for some fun and power but now I have the go ahead to get what I want which opens up the option for a hatchback finally. :) I'm hoping to stay around $10-12k but if I find the perfect one potentially more.

I've been pouring through the threads and looking online. Seems like a manual with the 2.5L S designation is the way to go esp. with Gen2. Higher trim if I can afford it provided that maintenance has been good. Gen 3's look to be similar with some nicer bells and whistles but still wanted to post up to introduce myself and get some feedback. I'm also in paralysis by analysis mode so the feedback always helps (plus a small hangover from college football yesterday :)).

Edit-I'm able to wrench and work on cars as well-shade tree mechanic short of doing engine work so maintenance isn't a huge issue short of the larger projects as well. I had thought about a speed3 as well but they are few and far between and then finding one that's been well taken care of is fun too.

Thanks all!

Ox aka Will

Last edited:
A 2014 and up hatchback 2.5 S would be the optimum configuration. It is a big step up from the 2013-prior gen. Make sure you test drive both.

Also do not be afraid of the skyactiv automatic 2014-up, with the paddle shifters on the wheel and sport mode... that is also a lot of fun to drive, and the auto trans is direct coupled and not "slushy" feeling like other auto trans you have driven. The auto trans could also make the car more acceptable and practical for the other drivers in the family.

Thanks for the info! Didn't think about so new but if I can make 15K then that opens up some options.

Is it worth getting the Grand Touring for the braking recharge or is sport/touring fine with the options I'd like?

Did come across this as well in my searches-https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-mazda-speed3/6333967626.html single owner supposedly and waiting on more info.

I did find a local 2007 speed 3 built up but needs the VVT done but for $6k may not be bad-well within budget too even with the repair.

Thanks for the info! Didn't think about so new but if I can make 15K then that opens up some options.

Is it worth getting the Grand Touring for the braking recharge or is sport/touring fine with the options I'd like?

Did come across this as well in my searches-https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-mazda-speed3/6333967626.html single owner supposedly and waiting on more info.

I did find a local 2007 speed 3 built up but needs the VVT done but for $6k may not be bad-well within budget too even with the repair.

The speed3 can be lots of fun, I sure miss mine... The VVT repair you mentioned is about $450 for the parts. Plus you will need the timing setting tools to complete the repair if you are going to do it yourself. If you go this route also be sure to set aside some money for tickets, insurance, and traffic school. Don't ask me how I know... (encourage)

The speed3 can be lots of fun, I sure miss mine... The VVT repair you mentioned is about $450 for the parts. Plus you will need the timing setting tools to complete the repair if you are going to do it yourself. If you go this route also be sure to set aside some money for tickets, insurance, and traffic school. Don't ask me how I know... (encourage)

:) I put a supercharger on my teenage v8 Thunderbird and have been there done that. Turbo Volvo wasn't as fun but could still move. Taurus SHO is a beast too. Knock on wood with it.

The auto trans in the 2014+ is amazing. It knows when you are approaching a light or stop sign and starts downshifting. I rarely have to work the brakes due to this trans intelligence.
Sport mode makes the engine feel like it has an extra 40 HP.

Back