Just bought a 5 with 120k miles and no service history, what should I worry about?

:
2009 Mazda5 mini surf van
I know the rear shocks and tires are new. The transmission fluid was pretty dark when I bought it, so I just had that changed, and frankly it still looks pretty dark. Will probably do that again, myself this time.
What kinds of things should I be worried about or on the look out for?

22.31mpg from the first tank in a mix of highway and traffic driving.

Last edited:
I know the rear shocks and tires are new. The transmission fluid was pretty dark when I bought it, so I just had that changed, and frankly it still looks pretty dark. Will probably do that again, myself this time.
What kinds of things should I be worried about or on the look out for?

22.31mpg from the first tank in a mix of highway and traffic driving.

There are some common fault areas but would help to know what year you have?

2009 according to his profile info
(shrug)
Strange....I do not see any year posted.. It just says Mazda5.

Well with the 2009, it has the better transmission, so that it good to hear. Another transmission fluid swap would be nice, be sure to use the right fluid type.

Sway bar bushings are still a weak point though, and if you have any clunking in the suspension, aim for these before you blame struts or shocks.

Often the most overlooked fluid can be the brake fluid. A full system bleed would be very nice to do especially if fluid looks bad. 4 yrs is about it for brake fluid.

Also sometimes overlooked is antifreeze, a coolant inspection should show you a little about the current quality of what is in the cooling system, and if it needs a fluid swap as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a 2009. Thanks for the info! Yeah, there is some clunkiness coming from the front end, I was worried it was struts.
Is there a way to know what trim level it is? It doesn't have a sun roof or fog lights, so I assume it the base model? Is that the 'Touring' or something?

Yeah, it's a 2009. Thanks for the info! Yeah, there is some clunkiness coming from the front end, I was worried it was struts.
Is there a way to know what trim level it is? It doesn't have a sun roof or fog lights, so I assume it the base model? Is that the 'Touring' or something?

Rear hatch will have NO spoiler or overhang on the SPORT, also tail lights will be predominately RED on the SPORT.

SPORT
2009_mazda_mazda5_angularrear.jpg

TOURING and GRAND TOURING
943696193.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be confused by the transmission fluid being dark; it just is. Be more concerned about the frequency of changes and smell. Drain and fill it every year and you'll be good.

Rear hatch will have NO spoiler or overhang on the SPORT, also tail lights will be predominately RED on the SPORT.

SPORT
2009_mazda_mazda5_angularrear.jpg

TOURING and GRAND TOURING
943696193.jpg

I assume the rear spoiler/overhang was available as an option? Ours has no foglights, red taillights and originally came without a sunroof (so I assume it's a Sport trim) but we have the spoiler/overhang (which I like very much).

I assume the rear spoiler/overhang was available as an option? Ours has no foglights, red taillights and originally came without a sunroof (so I assume it's a Sport trim) but we have the spoiler/overhang (which I like very much).

Pretty sure the 06-10 Sports had an exterior package that would add at least the side valences and a Touring tailgate which is where the spoiler comes from. I have a Sport with the valence, tailgate, fogs and moonroof, but black mirror caps and manual climate control, and no karubuki console in the 2nd row.

So yeah, really a Sport but it feels like a Touring.

So, I've got a 1000+ miles on it so far and have done the following:
replaced the rear struts (fronts are probably next)
changed the transmission fluid
replaced the battery
did a light cleaning of the throttle body (what I could without removing it) that cleared up the P0101 code
oil change
replaced the cabin air filter

All told I'm pretty pleased with it. Averaging around 22mpg which is a little disappointing, I just did a 180 mile road trip with 4 adults and a surfboard on the roof and only got 20mpg, which was very disappointing. I guess I'll blame the surfboard for that?

To do list:
Proper Throttle Body Cleaning
Add adapters to use my Yakima roof rack from my truck
Front suspension work
A lift for rough Mexican dirt roads? lol

43sc81w.jpg

So, I've got a 1000+ miles:
All told I'm pretty pleased with it. Averaging around 22mpg which is a little disappointing, I just did a 180 mile road trip with 4 adults and a surfboard on the roof and only got 20mpg, which was very disappointing. I guess I'll blame the surfboard for that?

This is about normal for the car. 20 MPG in the city and 22-23 on the highway.

Back