Infotainment system reboots many times when cold on 2016 CX-5

i used a pencil eraser and then cleaned it with alcohol (the old tv remote control cure). there really wasn't anything to clean though. didn't appear to be even a bit dirty or corroded. did that 3 times + inserting/ejecting disk to hopefully clean the contacts in the card reader. no dice. may just be an ever so slightly loose-fitting connection in the card reader it appears.

Dealer hasn't tried a different card. Was hoping they'd have done that at first, but that would have made too much sense I guess. instead i had my car tied up there for 4 days.

well I indeed cleaned the card several times and put it in and out of the card reader to hopefully clean the contacts in there as well, but no dice. I took it in to the dealer again yesterday and they had it all day and never called me. I called today after 3PM and the guy told me he needed to replace the ECU. I told him they replace that a couple weeks ago and upgraded the firmware. he said he'd have to do more research. and this is after I left him a note IN THE CAR saying if you press the Nav button, you'll see the navigation never loads and it seems to time out, causing the unit to reboot. If the card is out it doesn't reboot. i don't know how much plainer I can be! I also told him today about something I found out from another site, that there is a "Patch 59" that supposedly fixes this problem. Note that it ONLY happens when the temperature is below 30 degrees and it reboots until the car has warmed up. I just don't see how that can be a s/w problem. so let's see what he comes up with tomorrow.

well I indeed cleaned the card several times and put it in and out of the card reader to hopefully clean the contacts in there as well, but no dice. I took it in to the dealer again yesterday and they had it all day and never called me. I called today after 3PM and the guy told me he needed to replace the ECU. I told him they replace that a couple weeks ago and upgraded the firmware. he said he'd have to do more research. and this is after I left him a note IN THE CAR saying if you press the Nav button, you'll see the navigation never loads and it seems to time out, causing the unit to reboot. If the card is out it doesn't reboot. i don't know how much plainer I can be! I also told him today about something I found out from another site, that there is a "Patch 59" that supposedly fixes this problem. Note that it ONLY happens when the temperature is below 30 degrees and it reboots until the car has warmed up. I just don't see how that can be a s/w problem. so let's see what he comes up with tomorrow.
Do you think that a service advisor (junior) gets in your car to read your notes? Do you think a mechanic that takes your car into the shop reads that?? He most likely have difficulty reading the written notice anyway... In the morden age of car care you need to be on top of everything and communicate your issues, in many instances in more than one language...

well when i spoke to the mechanic on the phone, he spoke english and he couldn't possibly miss the note since I left it in the cubby where the nav card goes. i left the note because I didn't think they were reading the work order. i don't know what more i can actually do. i asked them to try replacing the nav card, but they said they had to have the car in to know whether they needed to order it or not. tomorrow will be 9 total days i've had the car in between last winter and this winter to fix the same problem.

Don't get me wrong man, I feel really sorry for you. What I meant was that you have to be there throughout the process. You booked your time, and it shouldn't matter that they had a brake job coming at that time (big bux vs your low ticket warranty work). You need to be physically there and potentially talk to the guy on your job to see the process. If they don't let you do that, go to the other dealer, they couldn't be the only place in town. It is very sad to look at how the industry races down the hill...

i live in a rural area and the next Mazda dealer (actually where i bought my car) is an hour away, so it's not very convenient for service. Even the one it's at now is 40 minutes away, but only 15 minutes from where I work. I intend to talk to the mechanic if i can arrange it tomorrow. Maybe I can at least convince him to try swapping the nav card to eliminate that as the cause.

Yep, do that. Depending on his status at the shop, he can convince the manager/service writer to get this to be looked at an possibly get the warranty process rolling. Remember, in many states they only have three or so attempts to fix the same issue until your lawyer can invoke lemon act...

I think that what the dealer is trying to play is the game of replace big part-make big money having the ECU swapped instead of a memory card.
Mazda pays for it at you expense and inconvenience, leaving the car at the dealer to justify the replacement.
Years ago I took a BMW, not mine, to do a 6K service and the service adviser said to change the wipers. I told him that were ok, no need to be replaced thinking that the car owner needed to pay for it and he said: "Do it, it is free, you do not need to pay for".
Who paid to the dealer for those wipers? BMW of America.

so my car still isn't fixed after being in the shop 3 days this week. tech told me he needs to order an 'auxiliary jack'. who knows, maybe he's onto something (but i doubt it). I have to pick my car up tomorrow and he's going to tell me when it comes in so he can install it. started giving me a total, but I interrupted him reminding him that i had the car in 3 times for this problem under warranty and it still wasn't fixed. no charge now.

Will be following this as I have the same problem! Seems to be worse this year than last. Mine happens whenever it is ~50 or below. I was thinking condensation causing a short of some kind, but I will try pulling the nav card in the morning and see if that makes a difference. I mentioned it to the dealer last winter and they just updated the firmware.

wish the dealer would have tried something that simple first time. i don't think they'd know how, though.
picked my car up today. they'll call me when the auxiliary jack comes in. i'm assuming that's the part where the nav card goes and the 2 USB plugs are. if so at least they're addressing a hardware issue now instead of just updating the firmware.

Welp, sure enough, I pulled the nav card before starting the car and no reboots! I'll be visiting the dealer next weekend.

Also, it just occurred to me that around the same time the reboot issue started last winter, I also had a "stuck" navigation system. The map would pull up but it wouldn't track me, said I was always in the same place. That is when they did the firmware update.

my nav just doesn't load. I get a spinning icon and after a bit i think it gives up and causes the unit to reboot. still waiting to hear from the dealer when the auxiliary jack comes in so they can install it. hoping by that they mean the h/w that holds the SD card for the nav.

Wow. Just came across this thread after watching our nav system (2016 CX-5 Grand) fail to load in this cold snap we're having. System comes up fine without the SD card but with it the nav screen hangs on loading. Whats interesting is as we drive around the local streets are showing up in the top line...just no graphics. Once we stop and restart the car it seems to be fine. Someone mentioned earlier about cloning the SD card and seeing if the replacement would work... Would make sense to try that but I wasn't aware that the SD card could be cloned. Anyone succesfully cloned their card?

if there is something buggy in the code of the nav card, it will also be carried over to the clone. worth a try, though, if you can't get it fixed under warranty.

Back