2017 GT snow tire question

I think I'm ready for another snowy winter in Vancouver.

Snowy winter in Vancouver?
I'm in Ottawa, and a friend of mine moved to Vancouver ten years ago to get away from the cold and white stuff.
He constantly reminds me of how nice the winters are there compared to Ottawa.
Looks like you made a nice purchase, but do you really need them in Vancouver? Just wondering.
Cheers.
Go Sens.

joe6864: thanks for your comment!

Snowy winter in Vancouver?
Looks like you made a nice purchase, but do you really need them in Vancouver? Just wondering.

Buzzman: I believe you haven't been following Vancouver news much earlier this year. We've had more snowfall than most of Canadian's coldest cities!

Citing a reference from Macleans on Feb 2017: As of Wednesday morning, Vancouver has had 58.4 cm of snow this winter seasonall of it coming in December and February. Thats more snow than has fallen on Toronto, Regina and Saskatoon. And if a major snowstorm thats expected to hit B.C. on Wednesday is as bad as weather watchers expect, Vancouvers accumulated snowfall may even surpass that of Edmonton.
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/these-stats-show-how-brutal-vancouvers-winter-has-been/

The Weather God is certainly acting a lot differently in the last 2 years... signs of global warming? In my case, I feel that my purchase is justified.

Got round to fitting my winter wheels. They are the old CX-5 wheels that I ran on the 2016.5 before it got nicked. The tyres are Yokohama W Drives. I may just have my 19 pizzas painted while they are off to a more flattering colour. They were cleaned up ready for winter storage. Im waiting to see what the TPMS makes of it all! So far, nothing.

78296_C29-_E283-4524-8330-_CA5_E9_CFABBB3.jpg

D60_AA96_F-_F9_E0-4_EBD-98_AF-2_BC06_D283_DE0.jpg

Gah...I didn't know I could downsize to 17 for winter tires.
Just got 225/55R19 Blizzak DM-V2 from costco.

all three of those tires are good. I recommend looking at some classified ads such as Kijiji. I found a set of almost new Yokohama winter tires for $500 there.

I recommend also taking a look into the Yokohama Iceguard IG52C. I have these and they are great tires.

I recommend going for 18" rims for your winter set. it will look better and improve handling.

Stock Toyos 225-55 R19 and winter tires are 225-70 R16

This site says 65MPH reading is actually 64.23. Not exactly something very noticeable but I am mileage low on my warranty anyway so not a big deal.

https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-14%20at%203.34.28%20PM.png

IMG_6686.png

Quoted for "nice ride"
Oh yeah that's fine..I didn't know if you might be running 65s..lot of sidewall there- is handling sloppy?
That's almost my car's identical twin btw..I blacked out the emblems only visible diff (and I'm running slightly wider/taller 235/65-17s- for now until oe sized 17 Xi2s go on)

Last edited:
Blizzak DM-V2... I just love the confidence it gives the vehicle in the slippery from cold rain to ice. I think cold rain was one of the areas I was ill-prepared to realize there would be an improvement. I had always assumed it was just a "snow/ice only" thing.

I've only been one of the converted from the last 2 years.... now gonna put winter tires on all of my cars during the winter.

If I had but 1 wish this holiday season it would be to quote this in every thread ever questioning the value of winter tires!!

My GF had no interest in snow tires for her car. Then I bought her a set of studded general artics and boy did she change her opinion pretty quickly.

Banjos!!(and all)..Ransack the Universe- Collective Arts- they're in Ontario- best thing to come out of the closet I'm mean Canada since molestation

Last edited:
Winter Tires!

Blizzak DM-V2... I just love the confidence it gives the vehicle in the slippery from cold rain to ice. I think cold rain was one of the areas I was ill-prepared to realize there would be an improvement. I had always assumed it was just a "snow/ice only" thing.

I've only been one of the converted from the last 2 years.... now gonna put winter tires on all of my cars during the winter.

If I had but 1 wish this holiday season it would be to quote this in every thread ever questioning the value of winter tires!!

This long-time, true believer is now fully re-invested with two brand-spanking new sets for the coming winter; today 205/55R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's onto the GTI, and five days ago 225/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's onto the CX-5.

Bring on winter driving!

wkUQF4vh.jpg

Back