CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

Thread: how many P5 do you see around?

Protege5, duh

how many P5 do you see around?

Friday afternoon question: do you get really excited when you see another P5 and wave at the driver? How many do you see - for me I'm sure it's less than one a month. I have a 35 mile round-trip commute on Chicago tollways and suburban surface streets, but there just ain't many left around here. There were a couple in my village a few years ago but haven't seen them around in quite awhile. Prob been reduced to ferric oxide dust.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

I notice them a lot more now that I drive one. I would say here in town, I've seen 5 total. Midnight blue, yellow, silver and red. I haven't seen another pure white like mine. The one in the red waved and said nice car.

Registered Member

02 Protoge5

I see em around here a fair amount, but we have a lot of older cars since we generally don't salt the roads. Thank goodness.

Chicago...yeah you're lucky to find a car older than 5 years or so that's not rusted to the ground lol.

Registered Member

Mazda protege5

I see a couple driving around maybe one or two a month, two other yellows a white and red one all drive locally

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

I see 3-5 every day. I see two black ones on the way to work (one driving, one parked at a house), occasionally see a laser blue during lunch, and frequently see a midnight blue, black and red one on the way home. I also sometimes pass a yellow one in the mornings that appears to be an enthusiast, he has looked back at my laser blue a couple times. They are common in Austin.
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14

2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

Protege5, duh

Well it'd be interesting to see a geographical distribution. Seems like they were popular up north and Canada when they first came out, but now the survivors are clustered in the south. I've only been in Chicago 4 years and now I can see the rust starting. But anyway godammit, I think I have to say that this car was the best thing I have ever purchased in my entire life. <17k with 0% financing - paid off in 2006 - and shit it is running great and I'm as stoked as ever every morning when I get in and throw it into that 1st turn in the neighborhood.

2003 Mazda Protege5

So in Grand Forks, ND where i go to school, I see a handful. One red, a few silver, a yellow, and a dark blue one. All have rust and are so boring looking tbh.

Have yet to see another Laser Blue P5 like mine in person.

Registered Member

Mazda, Protege5 2002

there is a few around my area. 250k later, i still love it and has not given me any trouble.

I am planning to keep it till it dies... Android Auto head unit has gotten pretty cheap, easy way to modernize the car

Registered Member

Mazda protege5

Just drove i90 across washington, didn't see a single one

BMW &amp; Mazda Enthusiast GJ-Molestor's Avatar

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6

not many.

here in toronto, the first generation mazda 3 and mazda protege have horrible rust issues due to the salt. the very few proteges I see in my area, let alone the wagon look to be clean and low mileage with no rust.

I did however own a 2000 Mazda protege 1.6L in the past with over 300k KM on the clock and the engine/transmission ran beautifully. learned how to drive manual on this car, miss it.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protoge5

I see one probably every other week in Tennessee, I always wave and usually get a grin and wave back. A yellow one parks down the street from me, and usually see some silvers around.

02 protege5 5spd 03 protege5 5spd (restoration or parts car)

There are tons in Saskatchewan Canada. Most of them are reaalllllly rusty. There's about 4 in my high school parking lot alone every day.

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

I live in giant metroplex and as often as I see any, I would have to call them pretty rare. I see them here and there but not any kind of frequently and usually never modded and always yellow sun faded headlight lenses. Not rust buckets tho.......

Protege5, duh

Quote Originally Posted by i12drivemyMP5 View Post
    always yellow sun faded headlight lenses.
    I did this a couple of weekends ago and they look nearly new :
    3M 39165 Headlight Restoration Kit (Heavy Duty – Drill Activated)

Registered Member

mazda protege5

once or twice a week.