Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you add extra warranty coverage on your CX-5?

On my 4th Mazda

'17 CX-5 Grand Touring

Another American example but I did indeed get it on our '17. It was only $1,200 to extend the bumper-to-bumper from 3 years/36k to 5 years/100k. If one of the electronic systems on this car has a problem, not to mention any of the traditional mechanical stuff, that will pay for itself easily. $1,200 isn't even that much in the scheme of car repair these days, having paid $2,000 for a evaporator core replacement on my Mustang and $1,500 for a new ABS module for our old '08 3s in the past couple years.
    Mine: 2011 Mustang GT
    Hers: 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring - Snowflake White Pearl Mica w/ Parchment Interior

Dearly Departed: 2003 Protege5, 2003 6s, 2008 3s GT hatch

2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkprotege View Post
    Another American example but I did indeed get it on our '17. It was only $1,200 to extend the bumper-to-bumper from 3 years/36k to 5 years/100k. If one of the electronic systems on this car has a problem, not to mention any of the traditional mechanical stuff, that will pay for itself easily. $1,200 isn't even that much in the scheme of car repair these days, having paid $2,000 for a evaporator core replacement on my Mustang and $1,500 for a new ABS module for our old '08 3s in the past couple years.
    Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty?

Registered Member
    Contributor

2017 CX-5 GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    Thanks everyone for their input!
    I did do some thread perusing, but much of it seems to be with an American context. Supposedly, the extended warranty sold here is directly from Mazda Canada (not a 3rd party). I didn't push the dealer very much, but they didn't seem to be willing to play ball when it came to pricing negotiation.
    Oh, they discount heavily in Canada too. If you say no, they'll keep decreasing it until it's about 50% off the first price. I still didn't take it, but I was amazed at how fast they dropped it when it was obvious I didn't care.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Because huge profit margins. This is why I quit buying. Sure someone will come out ahead but most will not or they wouldn’t be making money

Registered Member
    Donated: $10

none

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkprotege View Post
    I'd also like to know the details on that. I can easily imagine an electronics-related repair going over $1K.

Is your warranty transferable?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5, Touring

Quote Originally Posted by GP 2004 View Post
    Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty? The wife wanted an extended warranty on her Honda, the dealer where we bought it wanted ~$1800. I found the same genuine Honda warranty from a Honda dealer in Massachusetts for less than $1000. Bought it over the internet. I do not have an extended warranty on my CX-5, but my transmission is acting weird and I am considering it. My local dealer wants $2400 and I would like to spend less.
    It was from the dealer. In the past on my previous vehicles I purchased the extended warranties from the dealer as well and always had any work done by a dealer.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

I didn't purchase extended warranty.

I personally feel I can trust Mazda more than my dealer (almost fell for the wheel locks / vin-etching scam).

On my 4th Mazda

'17 CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by GP 2004 View Post
    Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty?
    Direct from Mazda. Pretty sure it's transferable but honestly don't remember. We tend to keep our cars a long time and drive them a lot so I expect to own this car past 100k.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.

I got the extended warranty from dealer but it's 3rd party. $1200ish extended it to 7 years/100k. I got it on my 2014 Mazda 3 too and used it to replace the heads up display. After trading in for the cx5 I got a refund for the prorated amount. I'm probably not going to get my money's worth for it but I'd just keep it just in case. Since I can't tell what's going to happen in the future, I'm just going to keep it. Too many electronics in the car, if nothing happens that'll be great, but if something happens I know I'll be covered.
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg

| OEM window visors | OEM blue tinted hydrophillic exterior mirror | OEM F&R bumper trim | Photosync tint all around | 75% Photosync tint on windshield | JBR air filter | LED in & out | 19" Enkei TY5 black metallic |

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

If not genuine Mazda ext warranty, I would avoid it.
    If not 50% off, I would reject it (profit margin on that is at least 50%).
    Even so, the chance that you beat the odd is small....

Ext warranty is a financial decision.
    If you can handle the worse case scenario financially, you are betting against chances.
    Your chance of winning is very high.
    If you cannot handle the worst case scenario, it might be a good idea.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring

I negotiated 100k/10yr for $1000. Since this will be my sons car in 4 Years, I wanted to make sure it would be covered. The dealer was desperate to get it off the lot so I had more negotiating room. Haven’t had to use it yet on a 2016.5, but was cheaper in the long run.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    Fair point, I guess, in theory, I can set aside the $40/month in a savings account. If I need it, it's there, if not, bonus.
    In roughly 100 months, you can afford to replace the transmission...

Registered Member

2004 Honda Accord EX

I just purchased a 2017 CX-5 GT this past weekend and opted for no extended warranty.

I will revisit looking at Gieco's MBI just before I hit the 15 month mark. It will only cover up to 7 years and 100,000 miles and has $250 deductible, but it is pretty affordable at $130/year for me.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/service...co-mbi-review/

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
    in roughly 100 months, you can afford to replace the transmission...
    lol

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

Here in Sweden we get 10 year extended guarantee (3 plus 7 years) when we buy the car from Mazda. The cost is included in the price of the car, nothing extra. It is very comprehensive. The only condition is that you have to do the service at the dealers once a year and pay for it. They are trying to steal the market from Toyota, Hyundai, Kia and some BMW etc. And they seem to be succeeding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12