Did you add extra warranty coverage on your CX-5?

SilentJay

:
CX-5 GT
Preface: Canadian

I declined the coverage at first, however I'm getting nervous reading about transmission issues and potential gremlins since we have so many electronic doodads with the tech package.

We don't drive too much (daily commute ~3.5km each way to public transit) so our yearly mileage is usually well within the average 20-25k/year.

5 years of unlimited mileage coverage (vs. the 3 years of unlimited mileage that comes with the car) would cost us ~$40/month, or $2400+tax in one shot.

I can't say that I've had any issues with either of my previous new Mazdas, but this one seems to be quite a bit more complicated.

$40/month realistically isn't an Earth-shattering amount, but we're already putting down a sizable chunk of money into the car so that our monthlies would be quite comfortable. The additional $40 sort of negates that.

Input would be most welcome!

Has anyone (in the US) shopped around extended warranty coverage? I understand even the 'official' Mazda plans are through a third party. I have a '17 CX-5 with all the gadgetry and I'm not super confident in the long-term (>3 yr) reliability of everything (HUD, safety systems, infotainment). I know with some other manufacturers warranty plans are often available at a substantial discount from certain dealers.

I've never bought an extended warranty in the past, but I've also never had a vehicle with so much [relatively new] technology in it.

On the plus side, despite all the extra expense in the event of an accident, insurance on the 17 CX-5 GT is about 100/yr less than it was for the 2010 CR-V LX we traded in.

I really don’t think you need it. Mazda has a good reliability track record. And they profit selling those even after their admin costs because on average the plan costs more than the repairs you’ll need.

Last edited:
Fair point, I guess, in theory, I can set aside the $40/month in a savings account. If I need it, it's there, if not, bonus.

There's about a dozen threads on this forum about that, help yourself to a search. If you do decide to get one, remember that the price is always negotiable.

Thanks everyone for their input!

There's about a dozen threads on this forum about that, help yourself to a search. If you do decide to get one, remember that the price is always negotiable.

I did do some thread perusing, but much of it seems to be with an American context. Supposedly, the extended warranty sold here is directly from Mazda Canada (not a 3rd party). I didn't push the dealer very much, but they didn't seem to be willing to play ball when it came to pricing negotiation.

Several of my family members got screwed over by 3rd party warranty companies. I would only go with first party or maybe Carmax that seems to have a solid reputation. It’s really just peace of mind. But if you’re buying an Alpha or Range Rover or something like that buy it! I just don’t think Mazda are that problematic.

So they want $2400 plus tax for two more years of the warranty on the car that may seize to be in your possession during these five years. That's $100 plus tax a month in my books, not to mention the cost of money factor, as the warranty kicks in three years later.
The above idea of a savings account is very sound, costs you almost nothing and you are still with your money five years after.

Run while you still can,straight to the bank,and put that money in a savings account to enjoy on something else...

I would add I did purchase warranty on 3 cars. 2 Fords and a Saturn. Did not on VW. I didn’t get my money’s worth on the 3. Each had one claim that was relatively small. The VW also didn’t have many problems and all happened during factory warranty. So you might do better but odds are in your favor for Mazda not having many issues in my opinion.

My first Mazda (and first foreign car make). For my peace of mind I purchased an extended warranty. 9yrs, or 100k miles, bumper to bumper from dealer for $1600, ($100 deductible). Hoping the car is as reliable as most people say.

My first Mazda (and first foreign car make). For my peace of mind I purchased an extended warranty. 9yrs, or 100k miles, bumper to bumper from dealer for $1600, ($100 deductible). Hoping the car is as reliable as most people say.

Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty? The wife wanted an extended warranty on her Honda, the dealer where we bought it wanted ~$1800. I found the same genuine Honda warranty from a Honda dealer in Massachusetts for less than $1000. Bought it over the internet. I do not have an extended warranty on my CX-5, but my transmission is acting weird and I am considering it. My local dealer wants $2400 and I would like to spend less.

Last edited:
Another American example but I did indeed get it on our '17. It was only $1,200 to extend the bumper-to-bumper from 3 years/36k to 5 years/100k. If one of the electronic systems on this car has a problem, not to mention any of the traditional mechanical stuff, that will pay for itself easily. $1,200 isn't even that much in the scheme of car repair these days, having paid $2,000 for a evaporator core replacement on my Mustang and $1,500 for a new ABS module for our old '08 3s in the past couple years.

Another American example but I did indeed get it on our '17. It was only $1,200 to extend the bumper-to-bumper from 3 years/36k to 5 years/100k. If one of the electronic systems on this car has a problem, not to mention any of the traditional mechanical stuff, that will pay for itself easily. $1,200 isn't even that much in the scheme of car repair these days, having paid $2,000 for a evaporator core replacement on my Mustang and $1,500 for a new ABS module for our old '08 3s in the past couple years.

Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty?

Thanks everyone for their input!
I did do some thread perusing, but much of it seems to be with an American context. Supposedly, the extended warranty sold here is directly from Mazda Canada (not a 3rd party). I didn't push the dealer very much, but they didn't seem to be willing to play ball when it came to pricing negotiation.

Oh, they discount heavily in Canada too. If you say no, they'll keep decreasing it until it's about 50% off the first price. I still didn't take it, but I was amazed at how fast they dropped it when it was obvious I didn't care.

Because huge profit margins. This is why I quit buying. Sure someone will come out ahead but most will not or they wouldn’t be making money

I'd also like to know the details on that. I can easily imagine an electronics-related repair going over $1K.

Is your warranty transferable?

Back