Did you add extra warranty coverage on your CX-5?

Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty? The wife wanted an extended warranty on her Honda, the dealer where we bought it wanted ~$1800. I found the same genuine Honda warranty from a Honda dealer in Massachusetts for less than $1000. Bought it over the internet. I do not have an extended warranty on my CX-5, but my transmission is acting weird and I am considering it. My local dealer wants $2400 and I would like to spend less.

It was from the dealer. In the past on my previous vehicles I purchased the extended warranties from the dealer as well and always had any work done by a dealer.

I didn't purchase extended warranty.

I personally feel I can trust Mazda more than my dealer (almost fell for the wheel locks / vin-etching scam).

Where did you buy your extended warranty? And is it a third party warranty or did you get the genuine Mazda warranty?

Direct from Mazda. Pretty sure it's transferable but honestly don't remember. We tend to keep our cars a long time and drive them a lot so I expect to own this car past 100k.

I got the extended warranty from dealer but it's 3rd party. $1200ish extended it to 7 years/100k. I got it on my 2014 Mazda 3 too and used it to replace the heads up display. After trading in for the cx5 I got a refund for the prorated amount. I'm probably not going to get my money's worth for it but I'd just keep it just in case. Since I can't tell what's going to happen in the future, I'm just going to keep it. Too many electronics in the car, if nothing happens that'll be great, but if something happens I know I'll be covered.

If not genuine Mazda ext warranty, I would avoid it.
If not 50% off, I would reject it (profit margin on that is at least 50%).
Even so, the chance that you beat the odd is small....

Ext warranty is a financial decision.
If you can handle the worse case scenario financially, you are betting against chances.
Your chance of winning is very high.
If you cannot handle the worst case scenario, it might be a good idea.

I negotiated 100k/10yr for $1000. Since this will be my sons car in 4 Years, I wanted to make sure it would be covered. The dealer was desperate to get it off the lot so I had more negotiating room. Haven’t had to use it yet on a 2016.5, but was cheaper in the long run.

Here in Sweden we get 10 year extended guarantee (3 plus 7 years) when we buy the car from Mazda. The cost is included in the price of the car, nothing extra. It is very comprehensive. The only condition is that you have to do the service at the dealers once a year and pay for it. They are trying to steal the market from Toyota, Hyundai, Kia and some BMW etc. And they seem to be succeeding.

Back