CX-9 performance in snow?

Vancouver_MTB

:
2017 CX-9 GS-L
Has anyone driven their (2016+) CX-9 in the snow (with proper tires installed)? I just bought some Blizzaks - excited to test them out once there is some snow on the ground. Hoping it will have a noticeable difference from my previous FWD sedan.

Has anyone driven their (2016+) CX-9 in the snow (with proper tires installed)? I just bought some Blizzaks - excited to test them out once there is some snow on the ground. Hoping it will have a noticeable difference from my previous FWD sedan.

My CX-9 replaced a RWD Dodge Magnum, so it was much better in snow for me! I have Michelin X-Ice tires. One of the biggest improvements for me was ground clearance...my old Magnum could get jammed with snow underneath, and it was tough to keep the momentum needed for deep snow.

Other than that, the AWD works well, but this is my first AWD car. Tough for me to compare. Another improvement with the AWD is getting started on a slippery surface. It just works.

I've already driven it in wet/slush/snowy and some icy conditions as of late though I only use all-weather tires. Though winter rated they're not dedicated winter tires. So far traction and handling have been good esp the AWD system which I haven't experienced any wheel slip yet. ABS kicks in when braking on ice but when taking off from it so far no slip felt and vehicle moves with ease and no traction control needed. The diff in experience for me when compared to my prev Volvo that used Haldex gen 4 AWD I did feel the fronts slip before rear wheels engage vs the i-active AWD in CX9 where it's predictive therefore it's already engaged when needed like in this case cold weather. Both my vehicles have had higher ground clearance so no issues or worries getting stuck snow.

I was impressed how well the system worked the one time I was on snow with the stock Falken all-season tires. I expect great traction with the Blizzaks. The traction and control and composure with the all-seasons was a pleasant surprise.

My CX-9 replaced a RWD Dodge Magnum, so it was much better in snow for me! I have Michelin X-Ice tires. One of the biggest improvements for me was ground clearance...my old Magnum could get jammed with snow underneath, and it was tough to keep the momentum needed for deep snow.

Mazdas are very good in snow or rain.

not all RWD vehicles are created equal. Like you said, deep snow is an issue, but even in moderately harsh conditions I never had an issue in the snow with my RWD BMW 528i.

I had Blizzaks on my old 08-CX9 an bought new set for my '16 CX-9 Signature. With only one winter driving the new car, I actually thought the old 08' CX-9 GT handled better in the snow. And after watching some of the videos posted here online about how bad the newer CX-9 AWD handles slippage, I'm not surprised. I take more caution with this newer car based on the video and my experience in Boston.

Back