New CX-5 2017 gas mileage at 17MPG city

tonyM

:
CX-5, 2017 GT
Hi all,

We purchased a brand new 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD and we're averaging 17 MPG city with it (boston area). We're only at 700-ish miles so far.
I have read many posts saying it gets better, after a 5,000 miles but still; 17MPG city to start with seems very low.
Am I just overreacting? Are there thing I should check to make sure there are no defect with the car or engine?

thanks
Tony.

17 MPG is bad no matter if it has 0 miles on it.
See your psi - on tires put 36 atleast.
See if your brakes drag - in a safe spot, engage park brake and gently accelerate, see if the car pulls right or left once parking brake auto disengages.
CX5 best speed is 30~32, second best speed to be is 46-48. After 70 the mileage drops more for 16 than 2017.

My first tank was 24mpg, since then never remember less than 27 avg. 16 FWD Touring (My DRLs are on).

Hi all,

We purchased a brand new 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD and we're averaging 17 MPG city with it (boston area). We're only at 700-ish miles so far.
I have read many posts saying it gets better, after a 5,000 miles but still; 17MPG city to start with seems very low.
Am I just overreacting? Are there thing I should check to make sure there are no defect with the car or engine?

thanks
Tony.
Tony,
If your CX5 has no problem with it, then, it is likely the distance of your drives and your driving style.
Do you have a reference to compare to? What was your previous vehicle?

On short drive that is full of lights in between, I can see 17mpg happening.

Hi all,

thanks
Tony.

How are you figuring your 17mpg? Is that what the trip computer says, or is that based on calculation of gas used at fill-up vs miles driven?

If it is based on the trip computer, and you have not yet reset it since you purchased, then try resetting it to 0 and try again.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
To answer your questions:
Yes, these are fairly short trips, but even on slightly longer trips, with some highways, it still doesn't increase that much.
The estimates are calculated by the on board computer, but I reset after reach refill. I'll start tracking based on odometer and tank refill to see if the numbers change.
Kaps, I'll also do the tests you suggested.

Thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for the replies.
To answer your questions:
Yes, these are fairly short trips, but even on slightly longer trips, with some highways, it still doesn't increase that much.
The estimates are calculated by the on board computer, but I reset after reach refill. I'll start tracking based on odometer and tank refill to see if the numbers change.
Kaps, I'll also do the tests you suggested.

Thanks everyone

Are you a lead foot (uhm)

That trip computer can really confuse people. It takes quite a long trip to settle back to something meaningful. Do the tank to tank checks.

If it's downtown Boston, I'd be surprise if you got 10 mpg. Been there and know what it's like. Ed

I get 30.4 mpg (converted from L/100Km) on highway and 29,5 mpg on city roads. My Cx-5 has a 2.0 litre engine and AWD automatic gear box. It is more economical than my two wheel drive BMW 320i.

If it's downtown Boston, I'd be surprise if you got 10 mpg. Been there and know what it's like. Ed

Anytime you are going under 30 mph or over 65 mph you are not going to get desired mpg's.
Stoplights, stop and go, all take their toll as well.

The easiest things I have found that I can control, are your throttle applications, judicial use of brakes, correct cold tire PSI, and using non-ethanol based fuel when you can.

We're also on winter gas now. What's interesting is this year I've noticed a higher than usual drop in mpg with the changeover. I've checked everything and I'm about ~2 mpg below usual winter (which is usually ~2 mpg below summer). Fuel bought at multiple stations. Some could be weather related, but the wind's haven't been that strong during my long drives.

17 is entirely possible with short trips, winter gas and winter weather.

Last edited:
Lowest I ever got is while towing a trailer at about 1500 lbs (~680 Kg). MPG was around 19 MPG over a pass and in the 65-75MPH range.

The thing to remember is stop/start traffic has a major impact on city fuel economy along with duration of the trip.

Short duration trips regardless of there being traffic or not will not improve fuel economy.

The longer the trip duration coupled with sustained speeds will ensure better fuel economy.

Gas is cheap in my mind given the lengths to locate, extract, refine, store, transport, and sell it. Just gassed up at $2.67 gallon. For the same volume, lots of other liquids are more expensive: OJ, milk, Gatorade, Starbucks, possibly bottled water, etc...

But to save gas and avoid running the car in the winter I just bought a racing wheel/pedals for Gran Turismo Sport. Sometimes you just want to go out for a drive and this should pay for itself shortly.

Nice for you.

Yes, a barrel of oil costs the same $US dollars for everyone.

Newsflash: we dont all use US dollars, and exchange rates hurt us here too.

Currently one A$ gets us 77c US.

As a result, as xeler8ing indicated, we are paying $A5.00 or more per US gallon here. And its going up.

Last edited:
Nice for you.

Yes, a barrel of oil costs the same $US dollars for everyone.

Newsflash: we dont all use US dollars, and exchange rates hurt us here too.

Currently one A$ gets us 77c US.

As a result, as xeler8ing indicated, we are paying $A5.00 or more per US gallon here. And its going up.
(thumb)

Latest posts

Back