New CX-5 2017 gas mileage at 17MPG city

The thing to remember is stop/start traffic has a major impact on city fuel economy along with duration of the trip.

Short duration trips regardless of there being traffic or not will not improve fuel economy.

The longer the trip duration coupled with sustained speeds will ensure better fuel economy.

The worst is in the winter if you drive too short a distance for the engine to thoroughly heat up, let it sit long enough to cool, then repeat such drives. It'll run in that gas rich startup mode to heat up the cat each time. Not sure about Australia but here there is a different gas formula used from fall to spring that is slightly less energetic. It's supposed to be a pretty minor difference but I think as the more efficient an engine becomes, the more apparent its effect.

Edit: Found this, it's interesting... https://blog.caranddriver.com/the-vapor-rub-summer-versus-winter-gasoline-explained/ I wonder if my slightly low mpg fillups of late is related to lingering refinery formula issues due to hurricane Harvey. Maybe there's more ethanol than usual.

Last edited:
My '17 GT AWD is pretty bad mpg-wise also (low 20's), but I mostly drive around town and it's quite hilly in my area (about a 400ft elevation difference). I've only taken it on one ~100 mile freeway trip, and even that wasn't totally flat, but I got about 28mpg averaging around 70mph. My 2010 AWD CRV (2.2L engine) got similar mileage (maybe a little better on the freeway), so I think it's largely the type of driving and all the hills that pull the average down.

Not sure if they vary the fuel formulation around here (Portland OR), but I don't think it generally has ethanol in it. I've driven just over 1000 miles and I always use 87 octane fuels.

I'll try the parking-brake test and see if there's any sticking.

Looks like gas in Australia is around $3.84/gallon if converted to USD. Probably similar to fuel prices in Alaska although there are some areas along the Dalton Highway that I think are in the $5-$6 USD range.

$1 USD = $1.31 AUD

Looks like gas in Australia is around $3.84/gallon if converted to USD. Probably similar to fuel prices in Alaska although there are some areas along the Dalton Highway that I think are in the $5-$6 USD range.

$1 USD = $1.31 AUD
Fuel prices are higher in remote towns out here

I definitely concede that I was narrow minded in only referring to US (specifically NY) prices . Places I've been to in Europe and Asia were more expensive -- although I wasn't the one paying.

Last edited:
My CX-5 2017 AWD GT is averaging no less than 24 mpg City. Coming from a RAV4 V6,,,,, very very happy. Light foot mode since I was still trying to break my first 500 miles.

Last edited:
Agree..I drive a short distance to work daily and my MPG is high teens mostly. Longer drives = better fuel economy.

Think this is a bit premature.

We don't know their driving habits/style.

I'm definitely light on the accelerator, but we drive short distances. ~ 3.5 miles one way to work, all city drive. So right now we're at 250-275 miles per tank give or take. Mazda advertises 355.

I came up with an idea. I'm going back to the dealer and ask for a test drive with another car. I'll do a route with both my car and the dealer's car. If the consumption is sensibly different with my car, then it's likely that there's an issue.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'm definitely light on the accelerator, but we drive short distances. ~ 3.5 miles one way to work, all city drive. So right now we're at 250-275 miles per tank give or take. Mazda advertises 355.

I came up with an idea. I'm going back to the dealer and ask for a test drive with another car. I'll do a route with both my car and the dealer's car. If the consumption is sensibly different with my car, then it's likely that there's an issue.

I like your scientific approach.

Be sure to RESET the MPG meter on each vehicle by selecting the AVG MPG, and holding in the INFO button on the steering wheel, prior to starting your route.

Or You can use the MPG application on the Mazda Connect infotainment system.

Good luck :)

Back