2016-2018 total length with liftgate open

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
Anyone know what the total length is with the liftgate open? Need to determine if I can have it open when the garage door closed.

Anyone know what the total length is with the liftgate open? Need to determine if I can have it open when the garage door closed.

Length of the vehicle would not change. Mine requires about 5-6 inches to clear the arc of the gate as it opens - if that's what you are referring to. So, at 16 1/2 feet in length, I would need to put the front of the vehicle a minimum of 17 feet from any vertical surface in the rear that is taller than the vehicle itself. This assumes I'm backing in and the vertical surface rises consistently 90-degrees from the ground. If for some reason the vertical surface to the rear either rises at a decreasing angle relative to the ground (decreasing the angle to less than 90-degrees prior to reaching the stop point of the rear lift gate), then I would need significantly more than 5-6 inches in the rear to cover the slope of the vertical surface as it gets closer to the vehicle along its rising angle.

The Red guide line in the rear back-up camera places my bumper approximately 19 inches from the object directly behind it. I've never had a problem lifting my gate to full extension near a vertical surface taller than the vehicle itself at that range.

If it's a local dealer, they should let you drive the car home and test out how well it fits in your garage, if they want your business, so there's no guess work.

If it's a local dealer, they should let you drive the car home and test out how well it fits in your garage, if they want your business, so there's no guess work.

If it's only 5 or 6 inches (which I think Cessna is saying) then it should be fine. Unfortunately the closest Mazda dealership is an hour away and I don't think they'll let me take it that far. I wish Mazda had more dealerships.

If it's only 5 or 6 inches (which I think Cessna is saying) then it should be fine. Unfortunately the closest Mazda dealership is an hour away and I don't think they'll let me take it that far. I wish Mazda had more dealerships.

You never know until you ask. Some dealers let you take the car overnight.

On my 2016 CX9, I need an additional 14 inches of room for the rear gate to clear. I measured it as follows: I measured the distance from the rear bumper to the garage door. I then raised the hatch until that distance was at a minimum and then measured the distance to the garage door again. The difference in the two measurements was 14". Note, you may need to be more concerned about whether you can raise the hatch all the way up without hitting something.

Back