Oil filter choice; OEM or ???

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
There are lots of comments and threads about this subject, but figured I would start a new one. I was going to do my own oil change so went to dealer to purchase an OEM filter #1WPE-14-302, cause I like using OEM parts. Earlier this year the CX5 was at the dealer for some warranty work, which included an oil change. So while doing my own service, found this strange looking filter attached to my 2.5 Skyactive engine.(uhm)

20171107_105232.jpg
FVP #R1365. Never seen these before so this is what I found on the web.

https://www.fvpparts.com/products/filters/oil-filters/

Could not find any specific flow rates, etc. but did notice this filter fits on 192 different applications, as per the website. Yep, special app just for the skyactive motor.(unamused)

This might be a perfectly good filter, who knows. The thing that really urks me, is the dealer has signs, posters, advertises that they only use quality Mazda products.

I did discuss with the GM on why the aftermarket filter. His response was that it has to do with costs, and that it's a perfectly good "Mazda warranty approved" filter. The plot thickens, at the time, I didn't know what they sold me, but now looking at the work order it lists the MAZDA PE01-14-302B. So they charge for mazda filter and install the aftermarket.
Dam, I'm going to have another little chat with them. This is the type of great service I've been dealing with over the couple years.

But hey, all you DIY's, you can now buy an approved aftermarket filter for your Mazda's (enguard)

There are lots of comments and threads about this subject, but figured I would start a new one. I was going to do my own oil change so went to dealer to purchase an OEM filter #1WPE-14-302, cause I like using OEM parts. Earlier this year the CX5 was at the dealer for some warranty work, which included an oil change. So while doing my own service, found this strange looking filter attached to my 2.5 Skyactive engine.(uhm)

View attachment 217742
FVP #R1365. Never seen these before so this is what I found on the web.

https://www.fvpparts.com/products/filters/oil-filters/

Could not find any specific flow rates, etc. but did notice this filter fits on 192 different applications, as per the website. Yep, special app just for the skyactive motor.(unamused)

This might be a perfectly good filter, who knows. The thing that really urks me, is the dealer has signs, posters, advertises that they only use quality Mazda products.

I did discuss with the GM on why the aftermarket filter. His response was that it has to do with costs, and that it's a perfectly good "Mazda warranty approved" filter. The plot thickens, at the time, I didn't know what they sold me, but now looking at the work order it lists the MAZDA PE01-14-302B. So they charge for mazda filter and install the aftermarket.
Dam, I'm going to have another little chat with them. This is the type of great service I've been dealing with over the couple years.

But hey, all you DIY's, you can now buy an approved aftermarket filter for your Mazda's (enguard)

wow.. that's some bulls***.
I'm sure the filter is fine (probably not as good as OEM, but good enough), but the fact that they lied on the work order is really sketchy.

I wonder what they do with the OEM filters they don't use for oil changes? Maybe they resell them online for a nice profit?

Last edited:
@sekmor, I think your decision to do your own maintenance is a very good one. Always try to avoid the stealership as much as I possible can. Just keep those records safe.. As for the OEM or not question. If the car is under any kind of warranty, personally would only use their recommended products if it's listed.

attachment.php

(enguard)
I have to compare your post to "Preferred Choice" 0W-20 oil used by my Mazda dealer. ;) But at least they wont say Mazda 0W-20 Moly oil on the invoice!

OSIGGNLxmee7MGaAeTzrpIIpNnnH5-IzifeWCM7jY2iTSI6QSDhXsq0Z2CMppQ1Y4WsLVrRXoKOOhQ=w1024-h600-no

Id report this to Mazda of Canada and see if they can do something on this as Wix 57002 is the only aftermarket oil filter made to meet specifications for SkyActiv-G engines.

41NJxiLf7dL.jpg

I have done all my maintenance since I was 14 years oil but, it is getting difficult now that I am within months of being 80 years old. If sekmor wants to let the dealer do his oil changes then he should demand UpFRONT that OEM oil filters be used. Ed

If sekmor wants to let the dealer do his oil changes then he should demand UpFRONT that OEM oil filters be used.

I normally do my own maintenance work on our vehicles. The CX5 happened to be in there for warranty work, which included engine work. I had just done an oil change before that (with a mazda filter). Sort of a waste so I told them to use the "Mazda" labeled 1L oil jugs, not the bulk generic oil. Didn't say anything about filter since I assumed it was mazda. The work order does say 5 each of #0000-23-0W20-CA. But who really knows what they put in there.

I'd give Mazda of Canada a call. This is very fishy and it sounds like your dealer is pulling a fast one on Mazda and you.

Anyone know if a 2014 2.5 and a 2017 2.5 engine uses the same filter/ My dealer stopped selling Mazda so I have another to buy from but wondered if the oil filters are the same? Thank you. jz.

Anyone know if a 2014 2.5 and a 2017 2.5 engine uses the same filter/ My dealer stopped selling Mazda so I have another to buy from but wondered if the oil filters are the same? Thank you. jz.
Yes they use the same oil filter although 2017 CX-5 uses PE01-14-302B from factory which is not available in the US.

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)
Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

Ordered an oil change kit for my 2017 cx5 from med center mazda got 5 quarts mazda moly oil and filter the filter is a 1wpe-14-302 looks really cheap and lightwieght to me.Is there a better filter i could use i see on bob is the oil guy website alot of them guys are running fram ultra filters they make one for the 2.5 motor i seen online just dont want to void the warranty by not running an oem filter.Like the mazda moly oil but i noticed today advanced auto parts has the indemitsu oil thought about trying that with the fram ultra.

I really don't care for the MV ones, outside wrench area is inconsistent. Sometimes the filter wrench will fit and sometimes it won't, but they're the ones the dealer sells.

I really don't care for the MV ones, outside wrench area is inconsistent. Sometimes the filter wrench will fit and sometimes it won't, but they're the ones the dealer sells.
Mazda dealer should have both 1WPE and value-line MV filters available. The worst case you can call in advance and have them order 1WPE oil filter for you.

Back