Hit and Run rear-ending: bumper replacement cost?

Laurel

:
2016.5 CX-5 Touring
I got rear-ended on my way to work this morning, and the guy took off afterwards.

Human beings can suck.

Anyway, there's a pretty big gouge in the rear bumper. No paint damage, but I suspect the rear bumper cover needs replaced.

What sort of cost am I looking at? I have a $500 deductible and don't have uninsured motorist coverage, so I'm looking at paying the deductible. How much over $500 might it be?

It's a 2016.5, fwiw.

No pics yet b/c it was raining really hard.

Not a CX-5, but when I was rear-ended in my Mazdaspeed3, estimated cost for repair was around $750. It ended up costing over $1200 though for some reason. I'm glad I got my insurance to fix it. I did have to pay my $500 deductible.

There is are two deductibles : Uninsured motorist and collision.
For me - first was 250 and 2nd was 500. I paid 250 - parking lot damage where driver was not found.

As for repair estimate : If it is paintless dent repair - 300.
If bumper replacement it is $2000 - 3000 or so depending on where you do it. Look around and you are not required by law to go to the same collision place that your insurance asks.

My rear liftgate replacement was $2500 when I got rear-ended.

The bumper was around $1000. I just had them buff it instead as it wasn't dented (separate incident). That? Less than $100.

I'm pretty sure it's only the bumper cover. where are the sensors located? The backup camera works fine.

I'm getting an oil change on Friday so will likely ask the dealership about it, though I won't have time to get any estimates until after the oil change. It's the Touring model, so I'd be surprised if it were 2-3k, but who knows.

My 2014 got hit twice in the back, bumper cover was a tad more than $800, painted and installed.

The sensors are round button-like things mostly near the corners. The dealer can give you an idea of what is damaged but verify with someone else to avoid a rip-off

I got rear-ended on my way to work this morning, and the guy took off afterwards.

Human beings can suck.

Anyway, there's a pretty big gouge in the rear bumper. No paint damage, but I suspect the rear bumper cover needs replaced.

What sort of cost am I looking at? I have a $500 deductible and don't have uninsured motorist coverage, so I'm looking at paying the deductible. How much over $500 might it be?

It's a 2016.5, fwiw.

No pics yet b/c it was raining really hard.

$1500ish to replace.

I was rear-ended a few months ago. Although the damage to the bumper didn't look like much, there was some braces behind it that needed to be replaced. The braces and bumper, repainting came to approximately 1800. The guy that hit me chose to pay out of pocket rather than file a claim.

Call the insurance company and pay the deductible and get it fixed. I promise you it will be more then $500. This isn't an uninsured motorist claims anyway, so not sure why that's relevant.
You're worried your insurance is going to go up, right? Have you made a lot of claims? If not, then your insurance probably will not move a penny. It's a myth that your insurance goes up every time you make a claim. Maybe every 2, 3. Not 1.

Source: I've used insurance. My sister gave me a hard time the last time. "Aren't you afraid your rates will go up?" NO! This is why I pay insurance. You know what I hate? Paying money every month for a service I never use. Damn right, I'm going to use that service. :D

Get 'er done.

916.47 was the bill paid by the person that rear-ended me back in May 2017
Included:
Bumper cover 270.00
Misc clips/hardware 50.00
Sand and buff 50.00
Impact bar 214.10
color tint 8.00

Something I did not know about before my accidents (both caused by other drivers).
No matter how good the repairs (mine are flawless) my car is now worth less because of being in an accident.
Dont forget to make a diminished value claim against the other insurance company in order to recoup some of this loss:
https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/diminished-value-claim.aspx

Sorry to hear it and hope you were not injured in the intentional collision.

Another good case for wrapping your vehicle with 24/7/365 video surveillance coverage. I use a dual car cam system now and have plans to add two more cams for 360-degrees of coverage. I can access the cam via Wifi in an emergency to show the police what actually happened as I know most people who cause rear end collisions will lie about what took place prior to them slamming into you. After receiving a push notification to my cell phone or device, I can also surveil my vehicle remotely (via iOS or Android device) and see what's going in and around my vehicle anywhere in the world. So, I can be in France, get a push notification sent to my phone, pad or tablet and send the police to the location of my vehicle 24/7/365. Such a system, given that kind of collision someone just caused, would have easily picked off their license plate and the police would be looking for them right now through DMV records and via their own methods for apprehending such Suspects (that guy is now a fugitive by definition).

I just started using these camera systems with the purchase of my new CX-9 a few months ago. After having gotten used to how these systems work, I have plans for all my vehicles to be wrapped by such coverage. Now, I can't imagine ever owning a vehicle or ever putting a vehicle on the road without them. In fact, I recently upgraded to a newer version of the same cam system I have now and was without it for a week - felt completely naked parking and driving without it.

Human beings can suck.

Real Human Beings are great. It is the Animal Human Hybrids that you have to be concerned about. They are the ones that cause all the havoc in the world.

All the best with getting your 5 repaired. Hope it goes smoothly with the insurance company.

Last edited:
916.47 was the bill paid by the person that rear-ended me back in May 2017
Included:
Bumper cover 270.00
Misc clips/hardware 50.00
Sand and buff 50.00
Impact bar 214.10
color tint 8.00

Something I did not know about before my accidents (both caused by other drivers).
No matter how good the repairs (mine are flawless) my car is now worth less because of being in an accident.
Dont forget to make a diminished value claim against the other insurance company in order to recoup some of this loss:
https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/diminished-value-claim.aspx

Not really, I traded in a 370Z that had $13K in damage from a wreck and got $29K for it, it was a 2012 with 35,XXX miles, fully loaded, every option. I traded it on a Grand Jeep Cherokee which I think I remember paying KBB PP retail on, or close. I checked the dealer's website 2 weeks later and AFTER they put new tires on the 370Z (BALD! when traded), they listed it for like $31,999. For a used car, that isn't s*** for profit. I FULLY disclosed the accident to them, as well.

When I filed my lawsuit against the other agency, however, the diminution of value they had to pay me was $4,000.

So, in the paper world, yeah, it's worth less. In the REAL world? maybe not. I CANNOT see having gotten more than $29K for that car, regardless of condition. Also keep in mind tires for it, even cheap crap, are close to $1K.

Someone backed into mine in a parking garage. Damage was minimal but the bill was around $1000.

It turns out I had a witness that left a note on my windshield and State Farm was able to nail them for the entire bill.

Someone backed into mine in a parking garage. Damage was minimal but the bill was around $1000.

It turns out I had a witness that left a note on my windshield and State Farm was able to nail them for the entire bill.

Someone barely hit ours in the parking lot. Got 4 estimates today,$440-815 range,and the damage looks like $50 worth.

$200 deductible. Was hoping a paintless sent place or somewhere could fix it without doing the whole bumper and taking it off (there's no dent,only need plastic trim above wheel well).

Someone barely hit ours in the parking lot. Got 4 estimates today,$440-815 range,and the damage looks like $50 worth.

$200 deductible. Was hoping a paintless sent place or somewhere could fix it without doing the whole bumper and taking it off (there's no dent,only need plastic trim above wheel well).

Do you have a picture of the damaged area? The black plastic on the wheel wells is a replaceable piece. If that's the only damage you could do the repair yourself.

Do you have a picture of the damaged area? The black plastic on the wheel wells is a replaceable piece. If that's the only damage you could do the repair yourself.

Yea,I've already priced the plastic piece,$59.12. There's is some paint damage though

k8TtK

Last edited:
Back