Weird Hatch issues, Public Service announcment

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
So a few month back I had the recall work done on the rear hatch lift struts where they replaced them. I wasn't showing any signs of rust but figured I'd be proactive about it. fast forward to last week and I was having a hell of a time getting my rear hatch to close. It was rubbing against the bumper protector I ordered from amazon so I installed some PPF door edge guard on the lower lip of the hatch. I was going to coach my soccer team and could barely get the hatch to trunk unless I slammed it down, later that night same thing happened while out shopping with the family. I looked at the rear hatch and noticed that it seemed to have slid down on the hinges and wasn't lined up with the roof line anymore. When I got I home I investigated a bit further and found one of the bolts that holds the hatch hinges completely stripped out? This caused a weaker hold for the whole hatch causing it to slide down and go out of alignment.

I took it to the dealer and they are replaceing all the bolts and the part they screw into in the hatch. I suspect one of two things happened. Either A) when they installed the new lift struts the tech "tightened" the hinge bolts and over torqued them and after several months of road vibration is continued to wiggle loose and mess the threads up or B) the new struts are a bit stonger and they were never properly tightened to begin with causing them to get loose over time and strip the threads.

I know there was TSB about the rear spoiler nuts coming loose but you might want to check the hinge bolts as well, just be careful not to over tighten them and strip them yourself.

Something in my rear hatch/struts has been "clicking" every time we close it, ever since the recall was done. Am having it checked at oil change next week. I wasn't too concerned until I read your story. Thanks for your post!

Since mine have never been touched and still look brand new, I will never have this recall done. You guys just confirmed my "leave well enough alone" attitude.

Since mine have never been touched and still look brand new, I will never have this recall done. You guys just confirmed my "leave well enough alone" attitude.
Agreed. I still have all 3 recalls outstanding. My service advisor keeps telling me to bring our CX-5 in as they have to do those recalls. Eventually I have to bring our CX-5 in for LED headlight replacement. But he said I can sign a waiver if I really dont want to do these. The only thing Id do is the passenger side airbag reprogramming. :)

I would say that if you get the rear struts done just mention that others have reported issues with the hinge bolts coming loose and to ask them to make sure they are tightened to spec after the shocks are replaced. I wouldn't not have the work done.

Back