2018 CX-9: Cannot directly shift from D or N to P in idle?

chores

:
Mazda CX-9
Is it normal that when the car is in idle, gear does not shift "directly" from D or N to P, but rather need to "stop" at R first?
For example, when I drive my car into garage and try to park it, after pressing the gear button trying to shift gear to P, I always feel it sort of "stuck" at R and cannot move gear directly into P. I had to always release the gear at R first, and push the gear change button again, and then it would shift from R into P without a problem. During the entire process brake paddle was always depressed.

I have never experienced this before in other cars, so would like to ask if this is normal.

Thank you for any info!

Is it normal that when the car is in idle, gear does not shift "directly" from D or N to P, but rather need to "stop" at R first?
For example, when I drive my car into garage and try to park it, after pressing the gear button trying to shift gear to P, I always feel it sort of "stuck" at R and cannot move gear directly into P. I had to always release the gear at R first, and push the gear change button again, and then it would shift from R into P without a problem. During the entire process brake paddle was always depressed.

I have never experienced this before in other cars, so would like to ask if this is normal.

Thank you for any info!

you mean you actually have to stop at "R" and then depress the shift button to get into park ?

doesn't sound normal,

for me from "D" , I depress the button and go straight to "P"

never have to stop at "R" let go of the button and press again to go into D,

I would take it to the dealer, sounds like a simple fix, most likely a mechanism in the gear shift

knob not working right and engaging too quick at "R"......

Thank you for any info!

Are you continuing to depress the button while moving the gear selector to P ? Or are you depressing the button to get it out of D, and letting the button go as you slide the gear selector lever up until it sticks at R?

Are you continuing to depress the button while moving the gear selector to P ? Or are you depressing the button to get it out of D, and letting the button go as you slide the gear selector lever up until it sticks at R?

This is my question. If you are holding down the detent shift button the whole time you try to shift to park and it’s still doing that, it’s not normal behaviour.

Hi:
Yes I continue to depress the shift button while trying to move the gear selector from D or N to P, but I have to let go at R, and press the shift button again and then it would go to P.
Thanks for the feedback. I will take it to the dealer.

Thanks again!

Hi:
Yes I continue to depress the shift button while trying to move the gear selector from D or N to P, but I have to let go at R, and press the shift button again and then it would go to P.
Thanks for the feedback. I will take it to the dealer.

Thanks again!

If you have any troubles with your nearest dealer, leave then right away and look for others in your area that are better rated. If you dont get good service, you should just go to a reputable mechanic for your services.

If the dealer cant easily fix the problem on your car, go to a transmission specialty shop. They will find the problem easily and charge you less unless you can fix under warranty.

No. That is not normal for the CX-9.

For example, when I drive my car into garage and try to park it, after pressing the gear button trying to shift gear to P, I always feel it sort of "stuck" at R and cannot move gear directly into P.

Again, no. Not normal for the CX-9.

I had to always release the gear at R first,

This is a red flag for me and I've highlighted your words accordingly. No. This is not normal behavior for the iSkyActive-D 6-Speed Automatic Transmission.

...and push the gear change button again, and then it would shift from R into P without a problem. During the entire process brake paddle was always depressed.

More red flags.

Nor, have I. Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but this CX-9 needs to go back to the dealer. Before you do that however, check for DTC under Applications > Vehicle Status Monitor to see what (if anything) has popped up. You at least want to know if you have codes and what systems or sub-systems they might point to.

A couple notes for you - If this were a complete Transmission Shift Cable problem, I would expect that you would never be able to get the vehicle back into Park. That is apparently not the case - but I don't know from here. If this were a partially defective Transmission Shift Cable problem (one that is in the process of going bad), I would expect symptoms similar to this. Again, can't know for sure from here. The physical shifter mechanism (including the button you press to release the shifter and engage the shift cable) under the boot itself could simply be defective somehow. It would blow my mind that you have faulty transmission shift solenoids at this stage in the life of the vehicle. For that to happen now, they would most likely have been defective upon initial build (I hope that is not the case here).

Please try to report back what your dealer finds as the culprit.

Last edited:
OP, did you get this issue inspected?

does the transmission seem to operate as normal otherwise?

Back