The Mazda CX-9 sales mystery

Lots of opinions out there that Mazda dropped the ball in some ways with the CX-9. For me and no doubt many others, the CX-9 specifically brought me to Mazda. I've been a long time Toyota owner and would still be if Mazda didn't design and engineer the CX-9 as they did.

When I'm not transporting my family of 4, It's my daily commuter to work where I'm alone. I do indeed enjoy the vehicles dynamics as if it's a sports sedan.

There's this odd idea that a vehicle can be everything. People seem to forget that Porsche builds SUV's and that they are their best selling models. Are they the roomiest? Of course not, that would conflict with their purpose. Same with Jaguar and others. It's not JUST about hauling stuff.

Same here, been a lifelong Toyota guy but have started hating them for the cheap interiors, bland exteriors and boring cars overall. Moved to Mazda6, much happy with it though the infotainment drives me nuts as its buggy. Might replace it with a C300 or a 5-series. Kia has been a big surprise in terms of quality and refinement.

When looking to buy last year, the top 2 options were the cx-9 and sorento. Clearly the sorento is a nice vehicle, but we went with the cx-9 for a few reasons.

- I much prefer the 2.5 T responsiveness and torque for everyday driving than the “lazy” v6 of the sorento. I like power right off idle rather than near redline. I know some opinions differ. As far as the 2.5T being unrefined, yes and no. It is harsh on cold start, but becomes smooth after a few minutes. Clearly different, which seems a little odd as I’ve never noticed such a difference in other cars I’ve owned.

- maybe it’s due to my driving style(fairly spirited) but the sorento transmission was jerky and didn’t know where it wanted to be. I noticed this on 2 test drives, as did my wife(biggest con for her). I find the mazda transmission excellent, much smoother.

- exterior and interior styling I preferred the mazda. Purely subjective.

- I found the mazda to actually be a little more spacious, especially behind the 3rd row. As long as you are not stacking cargo to the roof, the cargo “area” is quite generous. The high load floor and sloping roof impinge on cargo “volume”. From my experience cargo area is of more practical concern than volume. I don’t routinely carry big boxes.

-while the sorento handled well, the Mazda’s steering feel and overall handling instilled a sense of fun and confidence simply not present in the sorento. I realize many will not notice or care about this.

- the heads up display is seriously underrated. I find it extremely useful, and nigh indispensable. I would find it very difficult to buy a car without one now. It is that good.

- the sorento did have the nicest headrests I’ve ever felt. Might be a concern with falling asleep driving....:)

Frankly people complaining about the size/ practicality of the cx-9, yet not hearing the same concerns with the very similarity sized sorento, highlander(even worse 3rd row), GMC Acadia, Santa Fe xl. You really have to be nitpicking to notice a difference in practicality with the above. Sure it’s not quite a pilot, explorer, traverse or atlas, but if the cx-9 doesn’t have enough space, you likely need to be looking at a minivan anyway.

If you shop your cars based on spec sheets and features, sure buy a Santa Fe etc. There is a reason the cx9 wins so many comparison tests- better specs and numbers doesn’t mean bettter vehicle.

Very well said bro! Agree with all your comments...only diff with me is that I never compared/cross shopped the CX9 with the Sorento as I never even considered the Kia brand...maybe I would've saved some $$$ but I didn't care about the price. I did however cross shopped the CX9 with the Pilot, Highlander, RX350, MDX, XC90 and QX60 and for me the CX9 came out on top.

When looking to buy last year, the top 2 options were the cx-9 and sorento. Clearly the sorento is a nice vehicle, but we went with the cx-9 for a few reasons.

- I much prefer the 2.5 T responsiveness and torque for everyday driving than the “lazy” v6 of the sorento. I like power right off idle rather than near redline. I know some opinions differ. As far as the 2.5T being unrefined, yes and no. It is harsh on cold start, but becomes smooth after a few minutes. Clearly different, which seems a little odd as I’ve never noticed such a difference in other cars I’ve owned. ....

Totally agree with you. I value Mazda more than any other cars. Mazda may not have a that much impressive spec, but that is the specialty of Mazda. They don't do anything just because the competition is doing. They implement features that the driver really wants. I like the direction of Mazda. Apart from the product itself, Mazda has a strong Why, than the other cars. From Jinba Ittai, zoom zomm to Fuel economy without sacrificing performance (Skyactive) and then now moving the car in to the affordable luxury segment. Such things can not measured in spec, only you could feel and believe. I think Mazda is very innovative, good or bad. CX-7 even though was a failure, it is one of the beautiful cars on road. Increasing the compression ratio technology, Mazda brought to market several years before Toyota. And now the better turbocharger (VW Atlas copied:) ). And soon the Skyative X. I am looking forward and support Mazda for such innovations.

Last edited:
Back