The Mazda CX-9 sales mystery

There is a CX-8.

Mazda-CX-8-34.jpg

search

The CX9 isn't a perfect vehicle and it definitely has its shortcomings as you've pointed out in your previous postings which made you go for another brand which is fine but from an objectivity stand point so does your beloved Sorrento with these shortcomings as examples:

Styling both inside and out are bland (subjective but am sure most owners here will agree to the point of saying it looks like a minivan disguised as as SUV), no front parking sensors, no Key linked memory seat, no rain sensing wipers, no auto high beam, no access lever to 3rd row on driver side, no LED headlights, some of the safety warnings (beeps) are very annoying, limited 3rd row cargo space, mediocre fuel economy, mediocre handling, interior materials not as luxurious, etc. I am not trying to knock on your purchase as we all have different priorities nor am I looking for you to defend Sorrento's shortcomings as it is not a perfect vehicle as well.

Just wanted to point those out as CX9 owners only see its shortcomings when they're pointed out by both owners and non-owners as this is a Mazda forum. I bet if we all looked at the Kia forums that we'll also see a lot of gripes about their vehicles.

Trust me, much lesser gripes than CX9 owners. And those features you pointed out, yes those are my complaints too but they are minor. Quality is excellent and fuel economy is pretty good (avg 21 in crazy bay area traffic and 27 hwy). Koreans are understating their mpgs since the mpg gate! Auto high beam and rain sensing wipers were added on 2018 models.

There is a CX-8.

Mazda-CX-8-34.jpg

search

Yes, that's the not-ever-coming-to-the-US CX-8 (it's a Japanese domestic model only). It appears that it is built on the same chassis as the CX-9 (same wheelbase) but all the other dimensions were scaled down (7 inches shorter, 5 inches narrower). It's 9 inches longer but narrower than the old CX-7 we used to get here.

Looks pretty sharp, just like the CX-9.

Yes, that's the not-ever-coming-to-the-US CX-8 (it's a Japanese domestic model only). It appears that it is built on the same chassis as the CX-9 (same wheelbase) but all the other dimensions were scaled down (7 inches shorter, 5 inches narrower). It's 9 inches longer but narrower than the old CX-7 we used to get here.

Looks pretty sharp, just like the CX-9.

While it looks good and overall pretty similar, I much prefer the proportions and design details of the CX-9. Funny some of us Americans are sitting here complaining about the CX-9 not being big enough yet it's too big to even be sold in Asia and Europe.

While it looks good and overall pretty similar, I much prefer the proportions and design details of the CX-9. Funny some of us Americans are sitting here complaining about the CX-9 not being big enough yet it's too big to even be sold in Asia and Europe.

Again you miss the point. It’s too big from outside for Europe. CRV interiors in a traverse body.

Again you miss the point. It’s too big from outside for Europe. CRV interiors in a traverse body.

I'm not missing any point. Again I want the long hood and sculpted rear end.

You miss the fact that if you were to install a third row with nice thick padding in the the CRV, what do you think would happen to its cargo space? It's cargo space of around 38 cu ft is there because it doesn't have to store that 3rd row.

Trust me, much lesser gripes than CX9 owners. And those features you pointed out, yes those are my complaints too but they are minor. Quality is excellent and fuel economy is pretty good (avg 21 in crazy bay area traffic and 27 hwy). Koreans are understating their mpgs since the mpg gate! Auto high beam and rain sensing wipers were added on 2018 models.

Honestly I don't really care about the Kia gripes whether they're a lot or lesser than the CX9...at least for you you considered the CX9 but were disappointed...for me I didn't even consider the Sorento or even a Santa Fe XL which is another popular model. There are centain brands that I won't even touch in my life and Hyundai and Kia are some of them. Maybe I am losing out maybe I'm not but that's on me.

Honestly I don't really care about the Kia gripes whether they're a lot or lesser than the CX9...at least for you you considered the CX9 but were disappointed...for me I didn't even consider the Sorento or even a Santa Fe XL which is another popular model. There are centain brands that I won't even touch in my life and Hyundai and Kia are some of them. Maybe I am losing out maybe I'm not but that's on me.

That's part of it too. I wouldn't buy American unless it was unusually fantastic. I would never buy German. I like Kia but there's still some lingering reputation from the past that is hard to shake. It still resonates as the cheap brand even though it's not. I'm really only into buying Japanese, specifically Toyota and Mazda, and Mazda only as of the last few years. So when people are shopping cars, the reality is that most people have a narrow list of brands they look at regardless of how nice vehicles might be outside of those brands. There might be a vehicle that is a perfect fit in every way except that you just don't like how it looks. You probably won't buy a car you don't think looks good.

Lol this is a new low. Atleast CX5 gets serious competition with one and only CRV, here CX9 has to defend itself against a lowly Kia (flame2).

Unless i was financially tight i would not consider Kia Hyundai and Nissan. Sure feature to feature it would be 4-6K cheaper but even when low on cash a CPO or used highlander wins against a brand new Kia. CX9 owners, stop getting trolled guys.

Lol this is a new low. Atleast CX5 gets serious competition with one and only CRV, here CX9 has to defend itself against a lowly Kia (flame2).

Unless i was financially tight i would not consider Kia Hyundai and Nissan. Sure feature to feature it would be 4-6K cheaper but even when low on cash a CPO or used highlander wins against a brand new Kia. CX9 owners, stop getting trolled guys.

You need to crawl out of that cave that you have been languishing for so long! [emoji12]

That's part of it too. I wouldn't buy American unless it was unusually fantastic. I would never buy German. I like Kia but there's still some lingering reputation from the past that is hard to shake. It still resonates as the cheap brand even though it's not. I'm really only into buying Japanese, specifically Toyota and Mazda, and Mazda only as of the last few years. So when people are shopping cars, the reality is that most people have a narrow list of brands they look at regardless of how nice vehicles might be outside of those brands. There might be a vehicle that is a perfect fit in every way except that you just don't like how it looks. You probably won't buy a car you don't think looks good.

Same here...won't buy any domestic brands though I drive one as it's a company vehicle which I didn't have a choice though I don't pay anything for it...won't touch German brands either nor any Asian brand other than Japanese and the only Japanese brands I would buy are Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, or Mazda. I do understand the value propositions of Hyundai and Kia and that's why they're volume sellers and also give out tons of deals like thousands below MSRP or zero percent financing etc but to me at end of the day they're just cheap vehicles like Nissans...appliances that simply tick as many boxes to appear the most features for your $ but don't stand out in ANY aspect! At least some brands do like Mazdas...they may not be the volume sellers but they stand out design wise, they put passion in building their cars which is evident in their engineering and they have a DNA which is "driving matters". Besides I would prefer driving something that you don't see every 5mins...with the CX9 that's one way to stand out in a crowd vs driving a vehicle that's too common and you just become the crowd.

Last edited:
Same here...won't buy any domestic brands though I drive one as it's a company vehicle which I didn't have a choice though I don't pay anything for it...won't touch German brands either nor any Asian brand other than Japanese and the only Japanese brands I would buy are Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, or Mazda. I do understand the value propositions of Hyundai and Kia and that's why they're volume sellers and also give out tons of deals like thousands below MSRP or zero percent financing etc but to me at end of the day they're just cheap vehicles like Nissans...appliances that simply tick as many boxes to appear the most features for your $ but don't stand out in ANY aspect! At least some brands do like Mazdas...they may not be the volume sellers but they stand out design wise, they put passion in building their cars which is evident in their engineering and they have a DNA which is "driving matters". Besides I would prefer driving something that you don't see every 5mins...with the CX9 that's one way to stand out in a crowd vs driving a vehicle that's too common and you just become the crowd.

You do know things have changed in the world of cars for a bit now...

Kia builds the Stinger, Hyundai the i30N and oh dare I say there is now a luxury Korean brand which is called Genesis?

The G70 is honestly one of the best looking sport sedan if not THE best and packs a great value in a small price/package.

I drive a Mazda CX-9 and and Hyundai i30.
Owning a Mazda Cx-9 when I had to buy a compact car the first one I went to check is the mazda 3... The zoom zoom car, fun to drive... They say. What a disappointment... The engine is very rough and unrefined at low speed very unpleasant in traffic. The i30 has a much smoother engine and no vibration what so ever when driving. It's also a much more quiet car...

When the new CX-9 came out I went to test drive one straight away and what a disappointment again... Engine is again rough, unrefined and feels like driving a small diesel engine. This plus the lack of space in the new Gen crossed it for me.

On the other hand I test drove the kia Sorento with the diesel engine (only one available in higher trim in Australia) and what a smooth and pleasant car to drive.

The cx-9 is beautiful inside out, and I love it but what a let down otherwise... And don't let me start on options that disappeared on the new Gen, missing apple car play etc...

Some people have to open their eyes, Koreans are doing excellent cars and it's going to get better and better...

Last edited:

Kia builds the Stinger, Hyundai the i30N and oh dare I say there is now a luxury Korean brand which is called Genesis?

The G70 is honestly one of the best looking sport sedan if not THE best and packs a great value in a small price/package.

Owning a Mazda Cx-9 when I had to buy a compact car the first one I went to check is the mazda 3... The zoom zoom car, fun to drive... They say. What a disappointment... The engine is very rough and unrefined at low speed very unpleasant in traffic. The i30 has a much smoother engine and no vibration what so ever when driving. It's also a much more quiet car...

When the new CX-9 came out I went to test drive one straight away and what a disappointment again... Engine is again rough, unrefined and feels like driving a small diesel engine. This plus the lack of space in the new Gen crossed it for me.

On the other hand I test drove the kia Sorento with the diesel engine (only one available in higher trim in Australia) and what a smooth and pleasant car to drive.

The cx-9 is beautiful inside out, and I love it but what a let down otherwise... And don't let me start on options that disappeared on the new Gen, missing apple car play etc...

Some people have to open their eyes, Koreans are doing excellent cars and it's going to get better and better...

A few months ago I drove a Hyundai Santa Fe XL for 3K Kms and my experience with it wasn't as good as I was expecting better...didn't inspire any confidence in driving it and that vehicle just screamed "cheapness" inside with the materials. Did it tick the boxes with all those features? yes but nothing more. The bottom line was it didn't impress me and just confirmed my belief about the brand.

I'm aware of updates in engineering & technologies and obviously times have changed and yes maybe the Koreans have stepped up their game but so have the competition - it's not like Koreans have made all the huge leap while the others haven't - car manufacturers in general do that to keep up with the times and demand...I am also amazed with technologies like full electrification and hybridization as well as the HCCI engine developments but am I going to buy these? Maybe not...I am also not saying either that my eyes are closed and am not open to change or to recognize the advancements made by manufacturers but at the end of the day I will spend my hard earned money where I want it and where it best suits my needs. Everyone has his/her own beliefs and priorities and I just chose not to spend my money on any German, Hyundai, Kia or Nissan brand. Before I owned a CX9 I never even considered the Mazda brand though I did hear good feedback about their vehicles so in short I looked into it and liked what I saw. Also years ago I expanded my repertoire by buying a Volvo despite the not so stellar image on the brand but I didn't care as I spent my own money and there were no regrets owning it...to clear things up I am not in anyway convincing anyone here - possibly some Hyundai, Kia or Nissan owners may get butt hurt with my comments but I was simply stating my opinion just like most of the posters in this forum.

Last edited:

Precisely. Thats where my "Crawl out of the cave" argument comes from. The Sorento was more refined, spacious, quieter and smooth to drive than the CX9. Again, if I want handling, I will buy a sports car/sedan not a people hauler, period. I am not going to take curves at 15-20 above the posted limit and making my family throw up in the car!

Even so, the Sorento with the torque vectoring corner control AWD handles pretty close to a CX9.

Lots of opinions out there that Mazda dropped the ball in some ways with the CX-9. For me and no doubt many others, the CX-9 specifically brought me to Mazda. I've been a long time Toyota owner and would still be if Mazda didn't design and engineer the CX-9 as they did.

When I'm not transporting my family of 4, It's my daily commuter to work where I'm alone. I do indeed enjoy the vehicles dynamics as if it's a sports sedan.

There's this odd idea that a vehicle can be everything. People seem to forget that Porsche builds SUV's and that they are their best selling models. Are they the roomiest? Of course not, that would conflict with their purpose. Same with Jaguar and others. It's not JUST about hauling stuff.

When looking to buy last year, the top 2 options were the cx-9 and sorento. Clearly the sorento is a nice vehicle, but we went with the cx-9 for a few reasons.

- I much prefer the 2.5 T responsiveness and torque for everyday driving than the lazy v6 of the sorento. I like power right off idle rather than near redline. I know some opinions differ. As far as the 2.5T being unrefined, yes and no. It is harsh on cold start, but becomes smooth after a few minutes. Clearly different, which seems a little odd as Ive never noticed such a difference in other cars Ive owned.

- maybe its due to my driving style(fairly spirited) but the sorento transmission was jerky and didnt know where it wanted to be. I noticed this on 2 test drives, as did my wife(biggest con for her). I find the mazda transmission excellent, much smoother.

- exterior and interior styling I preferred the mazda. Purely subjective.

- I found the mazda to actually be a little more spacious, especially behind the 3rd row. As long as you are not stacking cargo to the roof, the cargo area is quite generous. The high load floor and sloping roof impinge on cargo volume. From my experience cargo area is of more practical concern than volume. I dont routinely carry big boxes.

-while the sorento handled well, the Mazdas steering feel and overall handling instilled a sense of fun and confidence simply not present in the sorento. I realize many will not notice or care about this.

- the heads up display is seriously underrated. I find it extremely useful, and nigh indispensable. I would find it very difficult to buy a car without one now. It is that good.

- the sorento did have the nicest headrests Ive ever felt. Might be a concern with falling asleep driving....:)

Frankly people complaining about the size/ practicality of the cx-9, yet not hearing the same concerns with the very similarity sized sorento, highlander(even worse 3rd row), GMC Acadia, Santa Fe xl. You really have to be nitpicking to notice a difference in practicality with the above. Sure its not quite a pilot, explorer, traverse or atlas, but if the cx-9 doesnt have enough space, you likely need to be looking at a minivan anyway.

If you shop your cars based on spec sheets and features, sure buy a Santa Fe etc. There is a reason the cx9 wins so many comparison tests- better specs and numbers doesnt mean bettter vehicle.

Lots of opinions out there that Mazda dropped the ball in some ways with the CX-9. For me and no doubt many others, the CX-9 specifically brought me to Mazda. I've been a long time Toyota owner and would still be if Mazda didn't design and engineer the CX-9 as they did.

When I'm not transporting my family of 4, It's my daily commuter to work where I'm alone. I do indeed enjoy the vehicles dynamics as if it's a sports sedan.

There's this odd idea that a vehicle can be everything. People seem to forget that Porsche builds SUV's and that they are their best selling models. Are they the roomiest? Of course not, that would conflict with their purpose. Same with Jaguar and others. It's not JUST about hauling stuff.

I agree, this is my 1st Mazda (although we do have a 6 in the family) and I’m coming from team Saab where I was happy for over 20 years. I had a 9-5 wagon and was looking for something similar. I looked at the Subaru Outback and then spied the CX-9. I was lucky enough to find a leftover 2016 Sig. Yes, there are roomier vehicles, but they are boring.
I mostly drive alone for work but we have filled it with 6 adults with no complaints.

Back