2017~2024 2017 CX-5 GT AWD Snow Cables

Ramesh

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD - Deep Crystal Blue Mica
I am in process of purchasing Snow Cables for my CX-5 GT AWD 2017 model. Tire size is 225/55 R19.

I tired Super Z6 SZ429 from a Auto shop, and after demo installation some part of the cable was brushing the back rubber part behind the wheel and the salesman said he wouldn't recommend them.
Online search shows the SECURTYCHAIN ZT729 as a fit.
Please share your experience and the model which fits...

BTW the local Mazda dealers doesn't sell them and wouldn't recommend any...

I recently bought the ZT729 for my FWD, for our once-per-year winter trips to Tahoe, but haven't tried to test fit it yet. Will try soon and report back.

Ok, did a test fit yesterday. Overall conclusion is that it mostly fits, but you need to be really careful to position the circumferential cable on the back side of the wheel so that it is evenly spaced around the wheel. Otherwise, as shown in second pic, the cable can rub against part of the suspension. I think I was able to get it so that there was no rubbing, but since it was just a test fit in my driveway, I can't be sure what will happen when actually in use. Not enough of an issue to make me return them (especially since there aren't many options for our tire size), but I'm definitely not looking forward to wrestling with the fit on the side of a Sierra Nevada highway in a snowstorm. If anyone knows of another alternative that is less likely to cause problems, let us know what it is.

20171105_113056.jpg

20171105_113420.jpg

... after demo installation some part of the cable was brushing the back rubber part behind the wheel and the salesman said he wouldn't recommend them.

Ramesh -- was this issue you describe with the front wheels or the rear wheels?

EDIT: Nevermind. I assume it was the front wheels as owner's manual states only install chains on front wheels. But I don't remember seeing any rubber part that might cause interference, will have to look again.

Last edited:
Ok, did a test fit yesterday. Overall conclusion is that it mostly fits, but you need to be really careful to position the circumferential cable on the back side of the wheel so that it is evenly spaced around the wheel. Otherwise, as shown in second pic, the cable can rub against part of the suspension. I think I was able to get it so that there was no rubbing, but since it was just a test fit in my driveway, I can't be sure what will happen when actually in use. Not enough of an issue to make me return them (especially since there aren't many options for our tire size), but I'm definitely not looking forward to wrestling with the fit on the side of a Sierra Nevada highway in a snowstorm.

This was the exact problem i faced. The sales guy even tried to adjust a lot, but he finally not recommended them as they were too close and he mentioned they will definitely touch once on the highways.

The Local Dealer is not providing any suggestions at all. Just a diplomatic reply of they don't sell them and doesn't know any model which fits.

The Local Dealer is not providing any suggestions at all. Just a diplomatic reply of they don't sell them and doesn't know any model which fits.

I would be curious as to what MAZDA would recommend. (shrug) Maybe contact them by calling the 1800 number for them or email them?

I would be curious as to what MAZDA would recommend. (shrug) Maybe contact them by calling the 1800 number for them or email them?

Have dropped an email to Mazda. Will update once i here back from them...

Reply from Mazda Customer Care:

Thank you for being a part of the Mazda family Mr. Ramesh, we’re happy to hear from you!

I’m so glad that you asked about snow cables for your 2017 CX-5 and would be happy to clarify.

I was able to research your concern and was advised we do not manufacture a snow cable for our vehicles. I have reached out to my support person to see if manufacturing has any recommendations beyond what is discussed in the owner’s manual and I will let you know as soon as I have a response.

In the meantime here are the recommendations as per page 3-53 your owner’s manual:

Check local regulations before using tire chains.
CAUTION:
Chains may affect handling.
Do not go faster than 50 km/h (30 mph) or the chain manufacturer's recommended limit, whichever is lower.
Drive carefully and avoid bumps, holes, and sharp turns.
Avoid locked-wheel braking.
Do not use chains on a temporary spare tire; it may result in damage to the vehicle and to the tire. Do not use chains on roads that are free of snow or ice. The tires and chains could be damaged. Chains may scratch or chip aluminum wheels.

NOTE If your vehicle is equipped with the tire pressure monitoring system, the system may not function correctly when using tire chains.
Install the chains on the front tires only.
Do not use chains on the rear tires.
Please consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

Installing the chains:
1. Secure the chains on the front tires as tightly as possible. Always follow the chain manufacturer's instructions.
2. Retighten the chains after driving

Thank you for taking the time to contact us today. We’re happy to have you as part of the Mazda family and I hope you enjoy driving your CX-5!

Sincerely,
Representative, Customer Experience

Update:Got the reply from Mazda (spin)

Thank you for your patience while I waited to hear back from manufacturing.

It was confirmed that Mazda North American Operations does not provide recommendations for any snow chains or cables. It is up to the manufacturer of the cables to advise if their product will fit your vehicle.

Thank you again for contacting Mazda, have a great week!

Sincerely,
Representative, Customer Experience

Last edited:
So decided to head to Tahoe this weekend, and it so happened this weekend the mountain pass was afflicted with a snow storm. Not too cold as temperatures hung around 32 degrees, but heavy snow on the main mountain road, and icy rain fore and aft of the pass. Driving conditions were pretty bad on the mountain, with only 4wd vehicles with snow tires or cars with snow chains on the drive wheels being allowed (there were checkpoints and cars being turned back). FYI I did not have snow tires or chains, just the stock 19* Toyo A36 tires.

Anyway that*s just the backdrop to tell of the wiper and car performance. Thank God I changed those wipers before going into the snow storm, to Bosch Envision 24OE and 18OE, as they performed excellently in rain and snow (waaay better than the OEM blades). The road was generally plowed (it wasn*t always clean), but snowfall was heavy in the afternoon. We had no grip or tracking issues. The car went steadily and where I wanted it to go. Also I did NOT feel slippage of the front forcing the rear to kick in; this is due to the Mazda predictive AWD programming that sends more power to the rear pre-emptively when it detects certain conditions, in my case: cold, incline, wipers in use. Very reassuring. We didn*t go off the main roads into deep snow so can*t say how it would have behaved in that case. Don*t think I would have trusted these tires or this car in the deep stuff though.

Back