My new '18 CX9 GT

SPEED305

Contributor
:
SPEED3
Hello Mazdas247!!!!!!

Haven't been on much. Not much moving in the Speed 3 world.

So we decided to trade up to the CX9. We loved our CX5-GT, but we were seeking a bit more space and a little upgrade. Worked out a great deal, better than I expected, and took 'er home.

it was heavily on my mind that after driving Mazda for over 10 years, I said maybe it was time to check something else out. Besides, i still have my MS3. So we did. Checked out RDX, X3 & 5, Santa Fe Limited, RX350, Q3 & 5, QX60 and the Mazda last. We spent 2 days out shopping and getting harassed by sales people to buy, and went home to "think" about it. At the price point the CX9 GT is offered, it is hands down the winner, by a big margin! Not to say the BMW and Lexus dont have the same or better comfort and safety features, but you need to move up on price by atleast $15k!! Audi is putting together some real nice models too , but again, that price is 20k more to match the CX9 Grand Touring or Signature offer. IMHO, you remove the Mazda emblem and place an Audi or Lexus badge on it, and this thing will sell like crazy. Its that good!! The best I have seen from Mazda so far.

Interior - Awesome and spacious in the front. Exactly what we were seeking. Love the heated and rear seats for those trips to Gatlinburg and the Smokeys in the winter. Sound system, awesome. Wasn't aware about the sub in the rear until reading around. The best overall feature we love is the heads up display and the radar cruise control.

As for the motor, the only complaint I have is ... Why hasn't Mazda put this in a new skyactiv Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 !!!!! This thing moves, its pull surprises you around town. Has good direct pedal feel, almost like a manual. They continue to impress me with their driving dynamics, and this "big" crossover is no slouch. Handles corners crisp and has real good acceleration. Like my MZR, it does start to run our of breathe in the high RPM's, but you wont notice it big, unless you are in the high rpms in 3rd gear or higher. Besides that, this things pulls strong for 2 tons of mass and a 4 cylinder under the hood. I took it on a nice run last night, and it put a smile on my face. I was so excited, I told myself I have to tell Mazdas247 crew!!

That's enough ranting ... the Canes are playing. Back to life ...

Last edited:
Hello Mazdas247!!!!!!

So we decided to trade up to the CX9. We loved our CX5-GT, but we were seeking a bit more space and a little upgrade. Worked out a great deal, better than I expected, and took 'er home.

it was heavily on my mind that after driving Mazda for over 10 years, I said maybe it was time to check something else out. Besides, i still have my MS3. So we did. Checked out RDX, X3 & 5, Santa Fe Limited, RX350, Q3 & 5, QX60 and the Mazda last. We spent 2 days out shopping and getting harassed by sales people to buy, and went home to "think" about it. At the price point the CX9 GT is offered, it is hands down the winner, by a big margin! Not to say the BMW and Lexus dont have the same or better comfort and safety features, but you need to move up on price by atleast $15k!! Audi is putting together some real nice models too , but again, that price is 20k more to match the CX9 Grand Touring or Signature offer. IMHO, you remove the Mazda emblem and place an Audi or Lexus badge on it, and this thing will sell like crazy. Its that good!! The best I have seen from Mazda so far.

Interior - Awesome and spacious in the front. Exactly what we were seeking. Love the heated and rear seats for those trips to Gatlinburg and the Smokeys in the winter. Sound system, awesome. Wasn't aware about the sub in the rear until reading around. The best overall feature we love is the heads up display and the radar cruise control.

As for the motor, the only complaint I have is ... Why hasn't Mazda put this in a new skyactiv Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 !!!!! This thing moves, its pull surprises you around town. Has good direct pedal feel, almost like a manual. They continue to impress me with their driving dynamics, and this "big" crossover is no slouch. Handles corners crisp and has real good acceleration. Like my MZR, it does start to run our of breathe in the high RPM's, but you wont notice it big, unless you are in the high rpms in 3rd gear or higher. Besides that, this things pulls strong for 2 tons of mass and a 4 cylinder under the hood. I took it on a nice run last night, and it put a smile on my face. I was so excited, I told myself I have to tell Mazdas247 crew!!

Congrats on your new CX9!

Love mine

Hello Mazdas247!!!!!!

I have the exact same car and I love it agree with all you have said. Driving it puts a smile on my face great interior. Don't really notice even at the higher speed range that it's lacking at all. Just a fantastic car great seats and plenty of practical room and I'm 6'6" very comfortable. Only issue for me was a bad paint job on my hood that had to b repainted at the dealer that was my only disappointment but the repaint looks great.

Sport mode adds to the fun

Good Luck and congratulations on yours!!

...I took it on a nice run last night, and it put a smile on my face. I was so excited, I told myself I have to tell Mazdas247 crew!!

Yep. I waited until you got down to this part: "I took it on a nice run last night." Nuf said. I could tell this was coming with the earlier comments about how it "pulled."

I keep taking mine on "runs," too! (sssh) Congratulations and good choice on the new 9! I'm sure there will be a few more future "runs" to enjoy. ;)

What happened with the hood?

Mazda has had some issues with CX-9 paint. Not sure why, but they need to get a handle on it and quick. I've heard a reviewer talk about the White Pearl they received for their review. I have also been slightly unimpressed with one area of paint overlap on my vehicle near the front of the hood on the bonnet (can't see it unless you stoop down and look up).

I've also gotten rock chips a bit too soon in this vehicle, but at the same time - I've also had this vehicle at 118mph as well. So, that could be part my fault. I suspect when the time is right, it will see 125 for the first time as well. Still, too many rock chips (LOL) on the front... (cryhard)

Dealer repainted the hood took 3 days to finish but it looks great no difference to the rest of the body. Very happy now!

I think we want to know 'what' happened to the hood to cause the dealer to need to repaint? As long as you are happy, then that's all that really matters in the long run. However, sharing that kind of information would be nice, if you could. It is not everyday that a dealer needs to repaint a hood on a brand new vehicle just sold. So, it is a very intriguing story and inquiring minds want to know what happened to cause it. Thanks and congrats!

Hood

I think we want to know 'what' happened to the hood to cause the dealer to need to repaint? As long as you are happy, then that's all that really matters in the long run. However, sharing that kind of information would be nice, if you could. It is not everyday that a dealer needs to repaint a hood on a brand new vehicle just sold. So, it is a very intriguing story and inquiring minds want to know what happened to cause it. Thanks and congrats!

The dealer and body shop speculated that in the painting process at Mazda there was moisture build up between the layers definitely below the clear coat. It was definitely below the clear coat as the surface was very smooth over the area with the stain. But they did a great job on the repaint and the car is a blast to drive . Very happy with the purchase.

Back