TPMS while Changing Wheels

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT AWD. I am going to change the 19" stock wheels to after market wheel of the same size, but keep the same 225/55R19 OEM tires. Can I transfer the TPMS?

Another option is to change to 18" wheel of the same width and offset, but combined with 225/60R18 tires to have a softer ride. There are many more options in 18" wheels and tires. Will the weight of wheel + tire combo be lighter? Can I transfer the TPMS?

What do you think?

KC

No. The Mazda TPMS system will only work with Mazda TPMS sensors and theft in a non standard bore in a Mazda wheel.

You could of course see how the system responds by having non standard wheel. I’ve got some of the the older style Mazda 17” wheels which I will try. If that doesn’t work it will cost me 570 (about $700) for new Mazda wheels and change over the tyres.
fullsizeoutput_16cd.jpg

No. The Mazda TPMS system will only work with Mazda TPMS sensors and theft in a non standard bore in a Mazda wheel.

You could of course see how the system responds by having non standard wheel. I’ve got some of the the older style Mazda 17” wheels which I will try. If that doesn’t work it will cost me 570 (about $700) for new Mazda wheels and change over the tyres.
I thought Mazda OEM TPMS pressure sensor used on 2017 CX-5 is made by Continental in Frence and it’s compatible size-wise with other TMPS pressiure sensors? Do the unique size and shape cause the problem on regular aftermarket wheels and only Mazda OEM wheels with special bore are compatible with this OEM TPMS pressure sensor?

41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

If that’s the case, we’ve seen several 2017 CX-5 owners did find compatible aftermarket TPMS pressure sensors installed in their extra set of winter tires with aftermarket wheels. On the other hand, we’ve also seen people claimed the aftermarket sensors installed don’t work ⋯

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

Last edited:
I have a 2017 CX5 with after market wheels with winter tyres and after market direct TPMS sensors and they worked great from start, no warning no lights nothing. And this was an internet buy through a tyre post order company in Sweden. The TPMS sensors are programmed for Mazda according to the company.

I went to the local Mazda dealer and talked to the service department manager and tire technician. The TPMS of 2017 CX-5 can be transferred from the stock wheels to new after market wheels. But not all the after market wheels fit. My Enkei Raijin 19x8 5x114.3 45mm is one of the compatible one.

Last edited:
I went to the local Mazda dealer and talked to the service department manager and tire technician. The TPMS of 2015 CX-5 can be transferred from the stock wheels to new after market wheels. But not all the after market wheels fit. My Enkei Raijin 19x8 5x114.3 45mm is one of the compatible one.

Well that's interesting considering the 2015's don't have sensors in the wheels.

Do you know how much weight saving you have made by the switch?o

The stock wheels are probably 29-30 pounds, the wheels I got is just under 23 pounds each. I'm using the same tires. Overall I think I saved a little over 20 pounds.

Wheel weight

The stock wheels are probably 29-30 pounds, the wheels I got is just under 23 pounds each. I'm using the same tires. Overall I think I saved a little over 20 pounds.

I just changed by wheels and had the opportunity to weight them. The 2017 GT 19" wheel weights 29.5 lbs. My new Enkel Raijin 19" weights 22.4 lbs. I save 7.1 lbs per wheel. The acceleration is obviously faster, and in the 1st day I gain 0.5 to 1 mpg in fuel economy.

http://enkei.com/raijin/

Hi guys,

Do aftermarket Mazda TPMS sensors work out of the box when installing on aftermarket or even factory wheels?

Or does Mazda have to program them?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Do aftermarket Mazda TPMS sensors work out of the box when installing on aftermarket or even factory wheels?

Or does Mazda have to program them?

Thanks.

IIRC someone here reported getting sensors from Tire Rack and they worked without additional programming, but I imagine it all depends on the vendor.

I'll be putting on my new aftermarket wheels for the first time later this week. I bought new TPMS sensors from TireRack. I'll report back on whether or not they're successfully detected.

So, put the new wheels/tires on today (will post pics tomorrow). No problem with the TPMS sensors from TireRack - simply drove for about 45 mins after the install, never had the TPMS light come on.

Back