(stupid question) How to replace 17 cx-5 wiper blades?

:
Mazda, 2017 cx-5, GT
I bought 2 winter wiper blades, but I can't figure out how to replace them.

Are they different than the previous models and need special ones?

I can find video for old cx-5 but looks like they are different.

Any help here?

Thanks!!!

Hi there

Here's the instructions from the manual

BTW - Point 1 not listed is Raise the arm

image.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Then my new ones will not work, need to return them, looks like too thick.
As I understand it, the new CX-5 has deicer on the front windscreen hence the stock wipers should be ok during winter ice etc

No, they are a different type. The models up to 2016 had Denso Hybrid wipers which are top notch and have a heavy duty refill. The 2017 have another Denso wiper with this quick release button but they are hopeless by comparison. They have a much thinner refill and make all the clunking noise you like. One of the few bad moves with the new model.

No, they are a different type. The models up to 2016 had Denso Hybrid wipers which are top notch and have a heavy duty refill. The 2017 have another Denso wiper with this quick release button but they are hopeless by comparison. They have a much thinner refill and make all the clunking noise you like. One of the few bad moves with the new model.
Not only that, its been discussed before since the 2nd-gen CX-9 adopted this new style hook-up replacing traditional J-type used on the 1st-gen CX-9. Now the same thing happened on the 2nd-gen CX-5 and the new style book-up is so unique that even Bosch doesnt offer a compatible wiper blade replacement. Some Euro wipers have similar hook-up but theyre still different and not compatible with Mazdas. Worse, according to those CX-9 owners who had a chance to use these new-style wiper blades in last winter that these wiper blades performed very poorly during icy winter condition but they have no other choices to replace them!

The new cx-5 wiper blades must be the thinnest and cheapest looking that I have seen in a car that costs so much. Mine have started to get noisy just after two months of use. I hope the rest of the car fares better. My Bmw wiper blades needed replacing after 6 years!

As I understand it, the new CX-5 has deicer on the front windscreen hence the stock wipers should be ok during winter ice etc

does this automatically work? I checked all stores they don't have blades for 17 cx-5, even the dealer I bought my car. I guess probably next year they will have it for the 17's

does this automatically work? I checked all stores they don't have blades for 17 cx-5, even the dealer I bought my car. I guess probably next year they will have it for the 17's
Check your owner's manual

Check your owner's manual

from the manual, not exactly same as my car.
I am in Canada I don't expect this works very well in snow days. We just got 3 days of snow in Calgary and already like -20 C.

The windshield wiper de-icer operates in
conjunction with the rear window
defogger.
To turn on the windshield wiper de-icer,
switch the ignition ON and press the rear
window defogger switch (page 4-64).

from the manual, not exactly same as my car.
I am in Canada I don't expect this works very well in snow days. We just got 3 days of snow in Calgary and already like -20 C.

The windshield wiper de-icer operates in
conjunction with the rear window
defogger.
To turn on the windshield wiper de-icer,
switch the ignition ON and press the rear
window defogger switch (page 4-64).

That is it. Checked USA/Canada/Mexico manual and says as follows:

01.jpg

02.jpg

That is it. Checked USA/Canada/Mexico manual and says as follows:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Yes I saw that, but these buttons are different in my car, not sure if same for the Canada cars?
I don't think I saw this in the glass, will check again tomorrow. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862316-Heated-wipers-2017-CX5-GT

Also anyone know where I can buy a wiper blades for 17 cx-5? I searched online just didn't see anyone, just in case when I really want to replace it.

Yes I saw that, but these buttons are different in my car, not sure if same for the Canada cars?
I don't think I saw this in the glass, will check again tomorrow. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862316-Heated-wipers-2017-CX5-GT

Also anyone know where I can buy a wiper blades for 17 cx-5? I searched online just didn't see anyone, just in case when I really want to replace it.

Yours is fully climate control - just press re window defogger button. All countries are the same

As for wiper blades, too soon but try the banner up the top of this page

P.S - According to Canada brochure, front wiper de-icer is available on GS and GT

Last edited:
Yours is fully climate control - just press re window defogger button. All countries are the same

As for wiper blades, too soon but try the banner up the top of this page

P.S - According to Canada brochure, front wiper de-icer is available on GS and GT

I see, thanks very much!!

I bought 2 winter wiper blades, but I can't figure out how to replace them.

Are they different than the previous models and need special ones?

I can find video for old cx-5 but looks like they are different.

Any help here?

Thanks!!!

I just have the dealer do it, but typically it's some sort of J hook design and the new wiper blade package should have a diagram.

⋯ Also anyone know where I can buy a wiper blades for 17 cx-5? I searched online just didn't see anyone, just in case when I really want to replace it.
It has been mentioned above by several members that theres nothing available from aftermarket replacement wiper blades for 2017 CX-5 at this time due to its unique design on hook-up.

It has been mentioned above by several members that there’s nothing available from aftermarket replacement wiper blades for 2017 CX-5 at this time due to its unique design on hook-up.

I believe it’s Denso’s first attempt at this modern cartridge style fixing. I tried several from various manufacturers here in Europe (where they are increasingly popular) and none fit, Denso have done their own thing. It’s a disappointing step down from the old Hybrid clamshell design but most of the complaints came from the US so you’ve got yourselves to blame for the loss of those superb wipers.

The idea with all Denso wipers is that the frame is saved for at least the first and indeed as many changes until the frame is knackered and just the rubber is changed as shown in the handbook.

From New, my wipers fit like a glove on a ducks foot in the arm. They shimmy about and clunk when they change direction - a big comedown from the previous setup. There may of course be some cost savings for Mazda in this change but if I can prove the old setup fits on the new model I’ll change it all back. That will cost me about $150.

Back